Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemon Hart substitute?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I know everyone says there's no substitute for Lemon Hart, but it also isn't currently available anywhere and lots of drinks call for it, so something must be done!

Is there any acceptable substitute? Stroh 80? El Dorado High Strength? Cruzan 151?

Considering that you said "I know everyone says there's no substitute for Lemon Hart", I'm guessing you already saw the threads below discussing your very question. Nevertheless, I wanted to link them here for any newcomers.

In anycase, the 80 proof Lemon hart Demerara is best substituted with 80 proof El Dorado Demerara.
Replacing the 151 proof Lemon Hart is not so easy.

Best substitute for 151 Demerara

Demerara replacement

I also recall that in the "Return of Lemon Hart" thread, Hiphipahula said she concocted a substitute for LH 151 but I'm not sure if she posted what it was.

edited to fix last link.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2010-12-20 13:01 ]

Thanks for the link. I saw the other threads, but for every post where someone said "Such and such works," someone else posted "such and such is a poor replacement." I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I saw where one user managed to come across an old bottle of LH and was going to do taste comparisons, but it didn't look like anything ever came of it.

There's not much out there that's for sure. I've used Gosling's 151 which isn't bad.

I've seen this rum a lot: http://www.oldsamrum.com/
Anyone here try it? I haven't yet, but I can always volunteer to be the papua new guinea pig.

Or is it just available up in the G.W.N.?

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2011-01-11 21:03 ]

I've not seen that in The States.

I've tried it, slacks. I thought it was ass.

J

After some Hukilau 2011-derived experimenting, the least objectionable substitution scheme (IMO) is, in recipes which call for light or gold rum [u]AND[/u] LH151, use El Dorado (I'm using ED12, but as soon as I get a chance I want to see if I can get away with ED8) in place of lightest "regular" rum, and Bacardi 151 in place of the LH151. If the recipe calls for simple syrup I also will use varying proportions of demerara sugar syrup.

It's not e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same, but it's very, very close.

Pages: 1 7 replies