Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

HipHiPahulA's Holiday in the Bay Area Help!

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha I will be visiting the cities by the bay Dec. 26-Jan. 1 2011
I want to make sure I see everything and everybody without going in circles or getting lost :)
We are staying in the middle of SanFrancisco and we have a car but hope to use public transportation as well. I know I plan to be at Smugglers Cove for my first visit there on Sunday the 26th at opening to hook up with R.H Falernum from L.A. and hopefully some of you locals as well.
If you can help me map out my trip a bit i'd sure appreciate any suggestions of routes or plans of actions. I want to see everything Tiki and visit with all of you. Happy Holidays!

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, Ca.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2010-12-23 14:25 ]

T

Kelly, BART is a godsend up there. We stayed downtown, too, at The Prescott and were easily able to take BART across to Rockridge and hit the Conga Lounge and Kona Club. I'm not sure how close it'll get you to Forbidden Island, though, but it's worth checking out.

Have fun!

L

Going to have to use the car to get to Forbidden Island...but BART is great to get around everywhere else.

Dont forget to check hours of operation no matter where you end up going. If you hit the Tonga Room I know they are closed certain days.

J

I LOVE the Tadich Grill !! Old-school authenticity since 1840. You know how a lot of new restaurants tout themselves as San Francisco-style bar & grills. Well this place is the original and the template for all that followed. Often imitated but never topped.

Also check out Swan Oyster Depot (since 1912). It's a seafood store that has an Oyster bar. I love how your server will remind you "I'm a butcher, not a waiter !!". Another classic SF experience.

Another fave caught on fire several years ago and still hasn't reopened. I really miss Original Joe's. :(

Also this is how I've gotten to Forbidden Island without a car. Take BART from San Francisco to 12th St. Oakland/City Center station. From there just walk a block to the City Center Marriott where you can catch a cab to Alameda. It's less than a 3-mile fare to FI. This way you can have all the cocktails you want and not have to worry about the drive. The whole town of Alameda is just one giant speed trap anyway.

J

On 2010-12-23 14:21, Hiphipahula wrote:

Aloha I will be visiting the cities by the bay Dec. 26...

I guess that means no Shaka Hula Bossa Nova or Velvet Taboo the day after X-Mas. :(

Have a great time anyway !! You deserve it. :)

Also while you're at SC, maybe you can grab some of Martiki's surplus Lemon Hart 151.

J

Yay!!! So happy you're coming our way! I'll see you at the Cove on Sunday and I'm sure we can work out some other places during next week.

Here's the list of must-see tiki in the area:
Smuggler's Cove
Trader Vic's (Emeryville and Palo Alto)
Forbidden Island (you have my permission to use my parking space if you go Wednesday night. :) )
Tonga Room (closed Monday and Tuesday)

Give me a call and I can help you map out a plan to see everything.

Hiphipahula,

I just went to SF from Santa Barbara a few weeks ago. You may want to consider stopping off at the Covarrubias Mural exhibit in San Jose, it only takes a little time off of your trip. You can see more info on that here

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35905&forum=1&start=15&hilite=murals

You should definitely plan on checking out the remodeled Trader Vic's in Emeryville if you go to Forbidden Island, they are not very far apart. Humuhumu posted a bunch of new pictures of the remodel on Critiki. TV has a killer happy hour on weekdays, I think it starts at 4:00. We did TVs first on the way up to SF from the murals in San Jose, then hit Forbidden Island, and then over to San Francisco for the rest of our first night.

On 2010-12-23 19:38, JOHN-O wrote:
Also check out Swan Oyster Depot (since 1912). It's a seafood store that has an Oyster bar. I love how your server will remind you "I'm a butcher, not a waiter !!". Another classic SF experience.

John-O is wise beyond his years. Swan's Oyster Depot is a local hangout that is awesome. We went there on our recent trip as well. They close early and you have to stand in line to get in, check their hours.

We found a cool place near Union Square called Beldan Place, known as the French Quarter area. Went to the restaurant Plouf that was great for mussels. You can check it out here.

http://www.belden-place.com/

Last bit of touristy advice is to take the cable car down to the Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee, the home of the original.

You can take the trolley from there over to the Ferry Building which is really cool.

Down the road a little bit from the Ferry Building is a place on the docks called The Ramp. We didn't make it here but have heard very good things about this one too. Open depending on the weather. Looks like a big Barney West out front.

http://www.ramprestaurant.com/pages/home.htm

Hope you have a great time,

DC

Also check out this article that Hurricane Hayward posted about the top ten drinks if SF.

http://tastingtable.com/multipart_article/sf/62/Best_Cocktails.htm

DC

Thanks everyone for the tips! On my way to Smugglers Cove!

Smugglers Cove was an awesome experience both times!!
Tonight, Wens. Forbidden Island!!! Hope to see some of you there!

CL

Shoot, we JUST got back about an hour ago Kelly...and just read this. Did not plan on FI tonight...I'll PM you on FB. :)

S

Kelly, so awesome to see you tonight! I'm thrilled we'll be able to hang out more on Friday!

Suzanne

Kelly, it was great meeting and hanging out with you last night! Psyched that you'll be spending NYE with us. Glad too, you managed to buy tickets right before they sold out! See ya tomorrow. Aloha!

Pages: 1 12 replies