Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Combustible Edison revisited

Pages: 1 7 replies

O
Otto posted on Sat, Dec 25, 2010 12:03 AM

This seems to have been overlooked in the music department

a series of historic Exotica music events is about to take place in So Cal
WAITIKI7, possibly the heirs to the throne of Exotica music left vacant when Marin Denny passed, are hosting a three night Exotica musical journey at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach December 29, 30, 31 (New Year's Eve)

first night is an intimate gathering with WAITIKI
second night is (I believe) the first ever performance of Voodoo material indoors on the West Coast by Bob Drasnin (and WAITIKI featuring Lopaka Colon!!). I should hope that Drasnin needs no introduction here?
Third night features Brother Cleve and The Millionaire DJing and then joining WAITIKI for a set of Combustible Edison originals. This will be the first time that CE has performed live on the West Coast for over 10 years.

If this is not a historic moment I don't know what is.
Please get out and support Drasnin, Combustible Edison, and new Exotica flag bearers WAITIKI 7

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38428&forum=17

Of course, I'll be there. And Shag will be there for eht CE NYE show too!
Cheers
Otto
http://www.tikioasis.com

On 2010-12-25 00:03, Otto wrote:

If this is not a historic moment I don't know what is.
Please get out and support Drasnin, Combustible Edison, and new Exotica flag bearers WAITIKI 7

WOW! Thanks Otto for the glowing preview of our festival this coming week. We have been working hard the past several months to make these performances a blast for anyone who loves exotica.

4 hours of live exotica each night for 3 nights... no repeats of tunes and tons of arrangements that probably have not been performed live since their heydays in the '60s. Some [u]90[/u] different tunes will be performed in total.

Since everyone in this forum loves music, let me tell you a bit about each night/theme of the festival:

Dec 29 - The Jazz Sides of Exotica
This is the night for the serious music lover. Discover the intersections of jazz & exotica through hapa-haole, latin, slack-key, bebop, and original tunes. Our arrangements of our favorite songs by Cal Tjader, Lee Morgan, R. Alex Anderson, Queen Liliu'okalani, Nona Beamer, Auntie Alice Namakelua, Arthur Lyman, Bill Fitch, and others... and everything done in a variety of quartet instrumentations. You won't hear most of this stuff performed by any other band, tiki, jazz, or otherwise -- that's how specialized this show is.

Dec 30 - Coronation of the Voodoo Masters
Tonight we hit the classic sounds of exotica that made the genre zoom to stardom. and the first performance of The WAITIKI 7 on the west coast! Our performance of Bob Drasnin's Voodoo material is framed with a guest appearance by songstress Sherry Shaoling (cover model for our "Rendezvous in Okonkuluku" album and Don Tiki's "South of the Boudoir") doing a mini-set of Ethel Azama tunes. "Two Ladies in de Shade of de Banana Tree," anyone? (One of my personal favorites!). Along with a slew of Les Baxter, Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman chestnuts that Waitiki 7 has helped to bring back to popularity and some newly arranged ones... like Japanese Parasols!

Dec 31 - New Sounds of Exotica
And from the old school to the new school. WAITIKI hits like "Ouanalao" (of NPR fame), new tiki cornerstones like "Wet Cave," "Polyamore," and "Flower Humming" (Don Tiki), Cleve & The Millionaire's Combustible Edison picks... everything that will make you dance and party up til the New Year.

Tickets should be purchased in advance, as we expect the shows to sell out -- especially thanks to the buzz we've been receiving from the L.A. Times and yesterday's National Public Radio story (click the 'Listen Now' button here)

Event website: http://DonTheBeachcomberPresentsWAITIKI.com
Direct link to tickets: http://donthebeachcomber.tix.com

Hope to see you there -- please introduce yourself to us if you come!

WAITIKI INTERNATIONAL LLC: Classic Exotica for Modern Listeners
www.WAITIKI.com and also visit The WAITIKI 7

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2010-12-25 01:09 ]

For anyone seriously into Exotica this is the event of the year! :)

For the people who wish they could be there but can't.........

Please record EVERYTHING!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

B

I'm incredible excited about this entire event, and I'm especially thrilled to be playing piano with the band and my old partner in crime - The Millionaire. Haven't played any of these Combustible Edison songs since 1999. Been practicing, though! It's wild to think that I used to trigger samples of Augie Colon's birdcalls etc when playing songs like "The Veldt" and "One Eyed Monkey"....and now I'll have his son Lopaka doing them live while we play!
I'm also bringing the Waitiki7 into the studio in LA, where I'll be producing a top secret new project for them, one where the exotic age meets the space age. What do bird calls sound like on Saturn? I'm looking forward to seeing lots of old friends and making new ones during the festival.

S

This is what dreams are made of. Will definitely try and catch it even though the location is a little far from my current moonbase. And to Mr brocleve: this project you speak of with birdcalls on Saturn sounds really tantalizing. Please keep us posted and hopefully, see you @ the Beachcomber.

Indeed, a momentous and rare convergence of exceptional Exotica talent - and that in such classic environs!

V

I so wish I could be there.

I have fond memories of seeing Combustible Edison at the Crocodile Cafe in Seattle, on what I believe was their last tour. Must have been over 10 years ago - my how time flies! Really wish I could be in So. Cal for this one!

Pages: 1 7 replies