Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Any ukulele players here?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I just got a Kala koa wood concert ukulele for Christmas (my first), and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just curious if there are any other players uke here.

I've been playing for a few years now, mostly as a hobby. It's a ton of fun and playing makes me happy!
I've actually just started making my own custom uke, which is suprizingly tricky. I'll post pics here once I'm finished.
Welcome to the world of the ukulele.
Have fun!

RB

I've been slowly teaching myself the uke for about a year now. Started off with an inexpensive soprano, then bought a Luna "Tattoo" concert uke a few months ago. Jumpin' Jim Beloff & Flea Market Music have a bunch of great songbooks. Have fun...I know I am!

The ukulele is such a happy sounding instrument, once I got into Tiki / Hawaiiana, I was drawn to self teach myself some chords and strums. I first purchased an inexpensive soprano uke from eBay, and soon discovered the sound just wasn't rich enough for me. One Christmas a few years ago, I got my best work bonus ever, so I invested in a Tiki Fluke (concert sized), which also doubles as a work of art. (Tiki King, Santa Cruz, painted the image of a Tiki on the soundboard of the uke; the Tiki's mouth is the sound hole of the uke.) Jumping more into the Hawaiian culture, I joined a local hula class (not full halau) and we soon wanted to take our music and dance out to the local retirement homes as free entertainment for those house bound. So we formed a small Hawaiian music and dance group, and I started learning all kinds of Hawaiian and Hapa Haole mele (songs). When my Mom passed away in 2009, I invested in a Pono spalted curly mango uke, concert sized. She's a beaute!! I replaced the regular G string with a low G string, and the sound is much fuller when playing in a group. My eye is now roving on a 6 or 8 string tenor uke... the sound is so much fuller, but I think you lose a little of the "fun" of the uke. My life has taken another turn just recently, and I find myself playing my uke more and more for my own sanity... and my two Cairn terriers love to sit and listen to me!!

Check out our website where you can download some song sheets... (click on Musician's mele/songsheets on the left side of the screen) http://home.comcast.net/~friendsoftheislands

Aloha! Keep up the music!
Myke

On 2010-12-29 08:27, tikiwinebear wrote:
I replaced the regular G string with a low G string, and the sound is much fuller when playing in a group.

I've started making custom ukes on my own for other people and I've been thinking about making a low G tenor uke for myself. I've never played a low G uke before, but I thought that it might make finger-picking through chords more interesting.
Would you recommend it?

Great stuff, everyone!

I thought you'd get a kick out of this: http://www.cafepress.com/AlohaUke

On 2010-12-29 09:18, finkdaddy wrote:

On 2010-12-29 08:27, tikiwinebear wrote:
I replaced the regular G string with a low G string, and the sound is much fuller when playing in a group.

I've started making custom ukes on my own for other people and I've been thinking about making a low G tenor uke for myself. I've never played a low G uke before, but I thought that it might make finger-picking through chords more interesting.
Would you recommend it?

For finger picking, I would strongly suggest the lower G string, but I am 50/50 on always having the lower G string for strumming. I use my uke with the lower G string when I am playing along with others, but prefer the regular G string when playing alone. The lower G seems to make the blending of multiple ukes nicer, but I like the regular sound of a uke especially when playing Hapa Haole mele.

S

Ive been playing for the last few years..I also recently started messing with low G on one of my Tenors ..I like it when theres other players around..Seems to fill out the sound..I do alot of finger style playing and the low G is tough for that..

If you guys are looking for " The Website" for ukulele i suggest

ukuleleunderground.com..Tons of lessons and advice ..

Keep strumming!!!!

[ Edited by: slapbass 2011-01-07 13:02 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies