Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

(WARNING: MATRIX SPOILERS) Matrix Reloaded thread for people who've seen the movie

Pages: 1 22 replies

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE DON'T READ THIS

Okay, so I just got back from Matrix Reloaded and I'm wondering what everyone thought of the movie. Personally I'm still digesting the plot, but as far as special effects goes, I thought it was pretty amazing.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-21 01:03 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-21 01:03 ]

M

I am pissed. I was told Yoda was gonna be in this episode. Two hours, no Yoda! Just a bunch of Ewoks, total rip.

midnite

I thought it was amazing, special effects-wise, as well. I could have done without the orgy scene. I'm not a prude, but it just didn't seem to fit.
I liked the direction they are seemingly taking the story in (can you really take the Architect at face value? Kind of reminds me of the sweating exec in Total Recall), and I'm glad we only have to wait six months for the conclusion. I think they did a pretty good job of tying up loose ends; the movie can stand on its own without all the cliffhangers typical in second-of-three movies.

*On 2003-05-21 00:43, Biotron2000 wrote:*I could have done without the orgy scene.

My thoughts exactly. Or at least give us a bigger action scene before this. I think it was added to appease the hardcore Rave scene that are such fans of the Matrix.

I thought the beginning lagged a little, and the ripped-from-the-1960s-star-treck-alien-costume-department for the clothes that the people in Zion wore was a little much for me. I think they could have eased us into that a little better.

I wonder if Zion is a part of the Matrix as well. With Neo being able to stop the Sentinels, it seems a little suspicious.

And if the Oracle is really just a computer program and not some supernatural force, how could it really know what Neo was going to do? So my bet is that the program monitors them 24/7 and not just when they're in the Matrix.

And what was all that about rebuilding Zion 5 times? Man, I think I'm going to need to rewatch the Architecht part 3 or 4 more times.

Oh yeah, I heard at the end of the credits that they show a trailer for the Matrix Revolutions.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-21 04:13 ]

T

Yep, there is a preview at the end of the credits, but boy there are alot of credits. My biggest problem is that there is a matrix soundtrack with all these bands on it, and from what I can remember, there were no bands until the credits ran. During the movie there was only scored music. This "Music inspired by" stuff sucks.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-05-21 03:58 ]

Natural humans are the Matrix' Ewoks

I swear during that rave scene they were about to start busting out with the "Jub Jub"

At least there were some sex-indeterminate nipples!

too much talking, not enough ass-kicking!

That orgy looked like a lenny kravitz video.

Tikimonkey, Tikimama, and I went to see it and when we visited Zion, we did (amongst ourselves quietly in the back row so as not to annoy others) start to sing the Ewok song.

When the movie actually started (right after Neo visists the Oracle) It started to get good.

I like it, though the plot sits in a too complex for shallow people, to simple for complex thinkers sort of spot that just feels.... Amatuerish? Naieve? Don't know the right word for it. The first movie for me avoided this by being vague and open. This movie however (by its excessive IMHO exposition) exaggerated the armchair philosophy that I find interesting and at the same time boorish.

i.e. Hey, man what if your blue isn't my blue, man?

Cool, I loved it, but it was a guilty pleasure.

I do love guilty pleasures.

good movie.

--
[->_

On 2003-05-21 01:07, hanford_lemoore wrote:
With Neo being able to stop the Sentinels, it seems a little suspicious.

Well, we now have Smith in the "real world," too. This may be somehow related...but now they're both in comas and no one knows Smith is "possessing" the other guy.

Check THIS out!

My current line of thinking is that Zion is also part of the Matrix, or another Matrix, and that Neo is a not a person but a program. The reason both the Oracle and Neo can see the future is they're remembering what happens in earlier versions of the Matrix (for Neo it's just glimpes, for the Oracle, she remembers all). My guess is most things play out the same in each version of the Matrix but there's other things that are different.

At least, that's what I'm thinking today.

Melintur -

the word you seek might be "sophomoric", ergo, lots of jibberish talk.

I felt that after that gratuitous, anti-climatic kiss with the lady in latex, there was probably not much meaning to what was going on.

We watched Martix 1 after just to remind ourselves if it was maybe pointless too, but it was good and entertaining, as we had remebered. I wished I would have seen the preview, but at that point I had to go to the lil' girls room.....

I think once Matrix Revamped comes out, it'll all make sense.. in a rather nonsensical way.

I also feel that the last movie will seem anticlimactic, until you buy the video game. Even then, the game might seem unattached... until you watch the Animatrix DVD. Oh, and drink PowerAde.

1001010010001000101000101, bitches

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Liked it, liked it alot But I think Grant Morrisons "The Invisibles" comics covered the ground better.

*On 2003-05-22 09:46, atomictonytiki wrote:*Liked it, liked it alot But I think Grant Morrisons "The Invisibles" comics covered the ground better.

Yeah, originality isn't what the Matrix is about. I'm glad though that there is a story though. If anyone else is Hollywood had directed the Matrix Reloaded, the scene with the Architect would have amounted to:

Neo: Who are you?
Architect: I am the Architect, I built the Matrix. I have been exp----
Neo: prepare to die muthafucka!!!!!

~Hanford

Here go my two cents. Keanu Reeves was stale as hell, he can not act to save his life. The visuals were over done, it was like watching a 2 hour demo reel for an animation house. The end felt like a huge rip off. Could that chase scene on the freeway have been another half hour longer please?

I felt that allot of the graphics were amazing, but as a movie I honestly enjoyed X2 more. Even though there were allot of visual effects in X2, it didn't become all about the effects.

A

There seems to be a little confusion, so I thought I would clairify things with this Matrix FAQ.

Q. Keanu Reeves is the One, What does that mean?

A. It means Keanu Reeves is the One who isn't getting an academy award nomination.

Q. What's up with the Albino Twins.

A. Edgar's best album is "They Only Come Out at Night", Johnny's best is "Johnny Winter Captured Live"

Q. Did you notice Monica Belluci's breasts?

A. I did.

Q. Where can I get PVC clothing like Trinity wears?

A. At Hot Topic. They also sell Tiki Farm Mugs.

I hope this helps clear things up.
Mahalo,
Al

Q. What's up with the Albino Twins.

A. their not albino they just covered in plaster dust from their last job..

http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/b/better_homes/

R
Rain posted on Mon, May 26, 2003 3:58 PM

two cents time:

i don't think that was an orgy. there was nothing going on that was any more sexual than any hip hop/rave club scene video on mtv. sexual overtones - yes. orgy - no.

i think this movie was great. i agree with whoever was saying it was too complex for shallow people and not quite complex enough for deep thinkers, but i still think it's leaning toward the deep-thinking end of that spectrum. especially considering the trailers that went before it - 2 fast 2 furious, etc.

here's the best part - unlike star wars, we only have to wait 6 months for the next one. not three years. stupid lucas.

and before anyone jumps on me, i'm a big star wars fan, too. (although i think pete jackson is KICKING LUCAS' ASS!)

R
Rain posted on Mon, May 26, 2003 4:02 PM

as far as the music - there were at least 3 or 4 tracks in the movie that are on the cd that i noticed - i caught the rob dougan track right away - he does great stuff, and he's on the first matrix, too - the scene with the woman in red in the training program.

did anyone notice that the architect looked lke a cross between donald sutherland and colonel sanders? i'd be suspicious.

BUT i do agree - i hate soundtracks with only "music inspired by."

you can get a cd with the scored music from the first one, but it's only like 28 minutes long.

[ Edited by: Rain on 2003-05-26 16:04 ]

My husband, Al, forgot to consult with me on this one...

On 2003-05-26 01:54, Alnshely wrote:

Q. What's up with the Albino Twins?

A. It looks like Milli Vanilli has REALLY gone vanilli!

-Shell In The Pacific

M

Nice ones Al & Shelly

I thought it was reasonably entertaining. I was there on the 5/14 preview so it was good to see it with an excited crowd. I think it helped going in to know that the movie was going to end abruptly and incomplete. People complained that the effects shots looked to computerized, but I just appreciated them for the craftsmanship. That's an interesting idea about Zion being part of the Matrix, Hanford. Hmm....

When he's in with the architect, and they show the shots of Neo as a kid and growing up, I was hoping to see a shot of Bill & Ted's. Whoa!

-martin

C

Wasn't the French arrogant bastard's wife the the prostitute who was really a secret agent for the Church in Brotherhood of the Wolf? Now that movie had great fights and fabulous costumes.

Pages: 1 22 replies