Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

New Orleans - Any New Tiki Action in the Big Easy?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Heading down to Nawlins for the Sugar Bowl. Being from Little Rock, I know of all the regular places. Having a brother who attended Tulane, I know of some interesting "not-so-usual" places. Of course, I'll be indulging in great live music as well. Here is to wishful thinking...has New orleans scored that ellusive tiki establishment that I have been longing to see in the Crescent City?

Did someone sneak into the city and reopen the famous Bali Ha'i without telling me?

Aunt Tikis? Yeah, not so much!

Beans Tiki Bar at Friend's Coastal Restaurant? Really???

Funky Pirate or one of the 10 dozen Tropical Isle locations? YIKES!!!

PS - Is Lou Lou from New Orleans here on Tiki Central?

WOW, I guess the answer is that new orleans is still sans tiki. That is just frickin sad! Oh well, the town is still a good locale to get a well crafted cocktail instead of something out of a frozen machine!!!

Vince Martini,

Missed your post the first time. If you have time, you should check out the remains of the Bali Hai restaurant that are located in the City Park in Kenner. I went there last year, nice piece of history.

Port o Call in the Quarter is quasi Tiki and a fun, young crowd, best burgers in New Orleans.

The Museum of the American Cocktail used to have a nice exhibit on Tiki cocktails.

I have not heard of anything else.

DC

DC, thanks a bunch. I would like to get out and see the old Bali Hai. Do you have a rough address I can use as a coordinate?

I will absolutely check out Port O Call, too!

Mahalo Nui Loa!!!

VM

On 2011-01-02 11:15, Dustycajun wrote:
Vince Martini,

Missed your post the first time. If you have time, you should check out the remains of the Bali Hai restaurant that are located in the City Park in Kenner. I went there last year, nice piece of history.

Port o Call in the Quarter is quasi Tiki and a fun, young crowd, best burgers in New Orleans.

The Museum of the American Cocktail used to have a nice exhibit on Tiki cocktails.

I have not heard of anything else.

DC

TofuJoe and I just got back from having decent (dare I say, some were quite good!) Tiki drinks at, of all places, The Saint http://thesaintbar.tumblr.com/ in the Lower Garden District. We live, seriously, three blocks away.

The bartender's a guy named Benji, and he's interested in rum-based cocktails. We had very good "Trader Vic's Grog", A Mai Tai (made w/ Appleton), a couple of punches, along with a delicious Rum variation of a Gin Fizz.

Good enough, that we're going to head back next Tuesday. We were the only ones in our Aloha wear, and will likely be the only ones next time, too.

Haole'akamai and Tofu Joe,

Thanks for the update on Tiki in New Orleans. I checked out the website for The Saint and it looks like Tuesday is going to be a blast with ..... TIKIOKI!!

1,200 Songs and Singapore Slings, sounds like a dangerous combo.

Be nice to see a photo or two from your next visit.

DC

On 2011-02-11 12:59, Dustycajun wrote:
Haole'akamai and Tofu Joe,

Thanks for the update on Tiki in New Orleans. I checked out the website for The Saint and it looks like Tuesday is going to be a blast with ..... TIKIOKI!!

1,200 Songs and Singapore Slings, sounds like a dangerous combo.

Be nice to see a photo or two from your next visit.

DC

OKAY, TIME FOR ME TO COME BACK TO NEW ORLEANS!!! I also want to get back to the Roosevelt and the re-opened Sazerac Bar!!!

So!

I'm reviving this old thread (and my posting here on TC!), to say there's a small, but fervent Tiki scene that is coalescing here in the Big Easy.

Looks like 2012 will end with possibly: two new Tiki bars open, a Tiki walking club (to walk in the 2013 Mardi Gras parades) and I'm working hard to have a little Tiki weekend get-together in September.

Mahalo!
~T

FANTABULOUS!!!

Please let me know as soon as you have a date for your soirée and I will do my best to head South!!!

On 2012-07-04 08:52, Haole'akamai wrote:
So!

I'm reviving this old thread (and my posting here on TC!), to say there's a small, but fervent Tiki scene that is coalescing here in the Big Easy.

Looks like 2012 will end with possibly: two new Tiki bars open, a Tiki walking club (to walk in the 2013 Mardi Gras parades) and I'm working hard to have a little Tiki weekend get-together in September.

Mahalo!
~T

Anything in time for Tales of the Cocktail? July 25-29th. I'll be there.

There's Tikioke at The Saint on Tuesday, if you're coming in early in the week.

Other than that, neither Tiki bar will be open yet, but there are several places that you can get a delightful Tiki-style drink: Nick Detrich, Kirk Estopinal, and Ryan Gannon at Bellocq and/or Cure; Chris Hannah at French 75; Kimberly Patton-Bragg at The Bar at Tamarind; Marvin at The Carousel Bar, to name a few.

C

Awesome!! As if we needed an excuse to revisit The Big Easy :wink:

I know it's been a while since this thread has had a reply, but there is currently some nice tiki action in New Orleans you might like to know about. Tiki Tolteca is a pop-up tiki bar above Felipe's Mexican restaurant in the French Quarter (301 N. Peters Street). They open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and sometimes on Fridays and Saturdays. Their menu specializes in Latin American flavors including mezcal and pisco drinks. They have some souvenir mugs too(Dynasty Easter Islander).

Z

This may be a long shot, and I'm not sure if it deserves its own thread, but I'm heading to Lafayette on Monday for work. Does anyone have info on any tiki happenings in that neck of the woods? Have never been and have no idea what to expect.

Just stay out of the swamp........

Pages: 1 14 replies