Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings by Pwest71...Second tiki in progress...

Pages: 1 18 replies

P

Aloha All,

Long time member, first time carving posting...I carved this small tiki, approximately 4 inches tall by 1 inch in diameter out of an apple wood branch from my yard, using X-acto knives. It was a Christmas gift for my brother, he really loves it. I know there is room for improvement, as there will always be, but it came out well enough that I felt comfortable posting it. Comments and critiques certainly welcome...

Mahalo for looking.

Paul

Edited to re-attach photos. 1/27/11

[ Edited by: pwest71 2011-01-07 13:39 ]

[ Edited by: pwest71 2011-01-27 06:11 ]

[ Edited by: pwest71 2013-09-17 11:26 ]

I wish my first tiki came out that good!

S

Hey Paul,
Looks good, nice start. I like that you did the full body and have good depth to it. Keep at it.

Scott

S

That's pretty damn good.

Great carving well done

Nice detail, especially for that small size.

P

Thanks for all the positive responses everyone!! I'm a little worried now, my brother is now talking about finding some Koa for me to carve a larger tiki from, I just don't want to be messing up some nice koa...We'll see.

Happy Tiki New Year!!

You were born to carve. The body and balance is so good. Keep it up, Wendy

P

Thanks Wendy, that's a great compliment coming from you. I love all the ceramics you've done, I watch for updates everyday, and everything is looking so good. I definitely want to try mug making, as it looks really fun...

Aloha!!

P

Awesome firstie!!!

Awesome Carve Paul! First one?? DAM!I really like the headdress and face on him..
Can't wait to see more...

P

PJC5150 - Thanks for the compliment, love your carvings, you get such a nice finish on that palm, wish I had some up here in PA to try...I'll be going larger in the spring, with some pine and apple...Hopefully it will work out even better than this first guy...I'm also going to be trying the Flexcut set like you have...

Beachbumz - Thank you!! Your mug work is incredible, the detail and glazing just look so insanely good. Love you woodgrain "Tongo" mug...And the "Tiki Troffs" are awesome..

Mahalos everyone.

Paul

that is some excellent detail

cool small piece, wait for the next one
Dirtymonkey

M

PWest, excellent first offering. You will surely accelerate with larger spaces to carve. keep em coming.

Mahalo

McTiki

P

Grand Poobah, Shrunkentiki and McTiki,

Thanks for the comments, I'm hoping the tiki I started last night will be better yet, it'll be a little larger at about 12" tall, and I should be able to upload some photos tomorrow, didn't take time last night to get any...Didn't get real far on it, working with X-acto knives again, really need to get some tiny chisels...

Mahalo!!

PW

P

Hello,

Long time, no see...I've been slowly working on some tikis, the one here I've been on for about a year, started out with X-Acto knives, then switched to some Flexcut knives, then the best switch after talking to Benzart, to a Warren Cutlery handle and hook blade...I don't get alot of time to work on carving, so this has been slow, but it's going well, this one is from Pine, a funky branch from a tree we cut down in our yard, curves several directions, which I tried to incorporate into the design...Modeled after a tiki at Pu'uhonua O Honaunau...Hope you like it...Approximately 16-18 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide...

Aloha,

Paul

[ Edited by: pwest71 2013-09-17 12:54 ]

P

nice!

that looks great bro...

P

Thanks Jeff...Hopefully I'll finish it sometime in the next few months...I have a few other things going too though, so I jump back and forth between them all when I get time...

Paul

Pages: 1 18 replies