Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Do you have any OLD photos, etc. of The Tiki Resort??

Pages: 1 7 replies

C

Aloha!!

We're working with The Tiki Resort in Lake George, New York with lots of fun plans ahead for Ohana '11 & they have requested that we put the call out for any old photos, images, brochures, etc of The Tiki from way back when. They are looking to make a permanent display in their lobby of the history of the resort for all to see and are looking for pieces of their history to help guests appreciate the resort's history.

And, of course, around here we LOVE to help historic Tiki Temples in appreciating their history. And we especially LOVE The Tiki, as it is home to Ohana Luau at the Lake!!!!

So - if you - or anyone you know may have stuff to help out the tiki in their quest to document their history, please shoot me a PM & we'll go from there.

I'm already in touch with Sven on this topic, too, but wanted to put the word out more broadly, as well :D

MAHALO for your help!!!!

Yes, and unfortunately I do not have much beyond the brochure images that I used in the Book of Tiki, and that brochure is owned by Oceanic Arts. So if anybody has that brochure, or postcards, or any other source of vintage imagery, so that they could scan them, please p.m. Caroline.

I saw this great old photo of the Tiki Lodge on flickr a while ago but I can't remember who posted it.

I have a couple of postcards and a brochure that I can scan and send hi-res images, does that work for the project?

DC

Man that's got to be an early photo. Looks like only the main building and nothing else!

What a great photo DC, thanks for sharing.

I got a small b/w photo from the back of the Hurricane Shakes her Coconuts LP. I'll post soon.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That is a great photo. We used that photo on the cover of Ohana magazine this past year. I contacted the owner of the image, and he sent me the 'hi-re' version of the photo as well as his clearance for use. It was taken by his grandmother in 1968. He does not know much else about it. There were no other Tiki resort images from that particular vacation, in his possession. It would seem his grandmother was impressed by the streetside view, and snapped a quick shot! The digital image has been achieved through a scan of his original 35mm slide. As a result the image is not stellar in Hi-resolution standards. You will notice our recently celebrated and FOM/Ohana named entrance guard "I'ke" can be seen standing proudly to the left of the smaller entrance! That entrance has obviously been reconstructed and I'ke has moved about 50 feet further down the plot as there is now a lengthy hall between the Paradise lounge entrance and the new guest registration lobby!

Tiki Resort in 2010

Google street view

C

On 2011-01-10 23:06, Dustycajun wrote:

I have a couple of postcards and a brochure that I can scan and send hi-res images, does that work for the project?

DC

That would be GREAT!!

I'll PM you my email address & I'll get them over to The Tiki

MAHALO!!

C

On 2011-01-11 05:25, jpmartdog wrote:
That is a great photo. We used that photo on the cover of Ohana magazine this past year. I contacted the owner of the image, and he sent me the 'hi-re' version of the photo as well as his clearance for use. It was taken by his grandmother in 1968. He does not know much else about it. There were no other Tiki resort images from that particular vacation, in his possession. It would seem his grandmother was impressed by the streetside view, and snapped a quick shot! The digital image has been achieved through a scan of his original 35mm slide. As a result the image is not stellar in Hi-resolution standards. You will notice our recently celebrated and FOM/Ohana named entrance guard "I'ke" can be seen standing proudly to the left of the smaller entrance! That entrance has obviously been reconstructed and I'ke has moved about 50 feet further down the plot as there is now a lengthy hall between the Paradise lounge entrance and the new guest registration lobby!

That's AWESOME, Jon!!!

Any chance you can shoot over the high res image & I'll get it over to The Tiki?

MAHALO!!

it is also interesting to note, that IKE's head-dress in the 1968 photo is more traditional with a centerpiece to which the side pieces curve down. so the current-day "donnie darko bunny ears" are installed 180 degrees from their original configuration.

Pages: 1 7 replies