Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Willie K. at Don the Beachcomber Friday 1/14/2011

Pages: 1 4 replies

I can't believe this hasn't been posted! Willie K. has been around a long time. Go to:
http://www.williek.com/aloha/about-willie-k to learn more about him.

WooHooWahine and I will be there for sure!!!

WooHoo! Is it Friday yet? What a tiki-rrific way to start off the long weekend!

To All:
Just received final schedule for Willie K's concert. The doors will open at 5PM into the concert area. If you do not have reserved seating, it is a good idea to go in early and hold your table. There is a bar in the room, and you can order food from the Don the Beachcomber wait staff. If you have reserved seating, but you would prefer to eat in the dining room, you can be there until the show begins. Mahana with Auntie Geri will perform from 7:00 in the dining room. The Kalama Brothers are scheduled to start performing in the HighChief/HiddenVillage at 7:30 until 8:40. Willie K will start at 9:30, end time is not noted, but 12 Midnight is the limit in this room on Friday by City regulation. We will have all our 200 parking spaces available, with free parking assistance, but it is always a good idea to arrive early in Sunset Beach.
A couple of notes: Willie K is recognized as the most important and most followed Hawaiian-born singer today. That means that this is NOT a "Native Dance Show" or the like. This is popular music as Hawaiian native and descendant Americans see it today. While it is indeed, "Hawaiiana" as some Tiki fans refer to it, it is simply one more American musical genre -- just as Tiki and Surf -- that is connected to the Pacific Rim, Surfing, and the base of the philosophy of Tiki, as Donn Beach spoke it from 1931 to 1989.
Every person to whom the music of two weeks ago on this stage -- the music of Drasnin, Lyman, and Denny, as performed by their descendants on one branch -- is of interest, will be equally interested in the music of Willy K, and his friends and young artists nearing fame, the Kalama Brothers. There is only one problem as of tonight: ALL RESERVED SEATS ARE SOLD, AND ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF GENERAL ADMISSION TABLES ARE AVAILABLE. (Tomorrow night's show in San Diego is fully sold out.) You should call the promotors immediately to get General Admission seats (951-972-0783). If no answer, call Don the Beachcomber (562-592-1321) to learn if seats are still available at the Will Call at 5PM.
Mahalo!
Art & Delia Snyder
Don the Beachcomber

If you can make the show, go for it!! Willie is an awesome performer, he plays such a large variety of music, from some classic Hawaiian to Jimmy Hendrix and beyond..
He was one of the first entertainers I saw here when I moved to Maui and still try and catch him when he's playing close by..
Aloha's

What a great way to start the weekend! Willie K and the Kalama Brothers played at Don the Beachcomber before a crowd of over 150 fans. Now I know why Willie has won so many awards-he is a fantastic guitar player and singer! The Kalama Brothers showed they have what it takes as well! We can't wait to see them again... I understand they play in San Clemente occasionally.

WooHooWahine with the Kalama Brothers

Willie loves his Don the Beachcomber cap!

Auntie Geri grooving to the music!

Willie, Delia and art all very happy after a great performance and turnout!

Pages: 1 4 replies