Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Chicago: Jan. 16 (- Feb. 1) Exotica DJ's and tropical drinks @ Maria's

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey everybody, our neighborhood watering hole, Maria's Packaged Goods and Community Bar in Bridgeport is offering a tropical drink menu for two-weeks. Exotica DJ's tonite, not sure what the music plans are beyond that, but they are offering the menu until Feb. 1. We'll try to get over there and taste test later. More info here:

http://community-bar.com/

960 W. 31st Street in Chicago

TT

Ack, might have been nice if you gave us more than a few hours notice!

How did it go?

Yeah, sorry about that. Sort of knew it was coming, but hadn't stopped by in a while and just found out myself.

It was a good effort, appropriate to the vibe of the place. Not a total tiki takeover, but a nice side note for the regular crowd. They are still working it out. Apparently they have some tiki mugs on order which haven't arrived yet. DJ's were pretty good. Not purely Exotica, but mixed some Exotica and South Seas tracks in with what you might call "world music."

Drinks were made from scratch. We tried their "Classic Mai Tai" which was okay. Reminded us of the typical Mai Tai you get in Waikiki, so yes it has pineapple juice. Made with Bacardi light and dark. We had their Hurricane, which was pretty good and not too sweet.

The other three offerings had coconut and we didn't want to go there. The "Mike Tai" recipe sounded kind of scary. There was also a Blue Hawaii and another original. They are open to drink suggestions (that's their shtick, the drink menu is always changing) so I may submit something.

Local surf band 13 Tikis is playing at the Honky Tonk BBQ in Pilsen on January 29th. It's not very far away from Maria's, so I was thinking about an after party / nightcap there. Maybe even a pre-party at an as yet undisclosed area tiki location.

TT

A

Hi! I'm new to Chicago - and need to acquire a social life. Where are the best tiki places on the more north side of town? (I live in Rogers Park)

amio

On 2011-01-21 19:12, amiotiki wrote:
Hi! I'm new to Chicago - and need to acquire a social life. Where are the best tiki places on the more north side of town? (I live in Rogers Park)

amio

become friends with "chef shangri-la" on facebook- that will keep you on top of what's happening locally.

amio

Hi

I am in Rogers Park also.
Tiki over here is slim to none.

Go to the loop for Trader Vic's, the suburbs for Tiki Terrace, or Hala Kahiki out west.

Other than that Chicago is about home tiki bars... but if you're up for a mai tai my place is always open.

On 2011-01-23 00:23, tikibars wrote:

amio

Hi

I am in Rogers Park also.
Tiki over here is slim to none.

Go to the loop for Trader Vic's, the suburbs for Tiki Terrace, or Hala Kahiki out west.

Other than that Chicago is about home tiki bars... but if you're up for a mai tai my place is always open.

Welcome to Chitown from another tiki fanatic in nearby South Evanston. Would love to see some home tiki bars around Chicago. Wonder how we could track down some of these barkeeps and plan a tour night for the local crowd?

T

Hey Amio and Howie, me and one of my mixology-geek pals (he's not on TC but he loves making the Beachbum's drinks) have been planning on launching some mixology workshops.

Basically the idea is that we'd each bring an original recipe to the table, make it, and collectively brainstorm ways to improve it.

If either or both of you want to join us (even as tasters if you're not into inventing drinks), that would be great.
He is up here in Rogers too.

It has been a long time since there has been any tiki action here on the far north side, I am excited that there are at least four of us up here now.

A

I'm not much of an inventor - but I'd love to be a taster, and perhaps I'll pick up some mad chemistry skills from watching.

A
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.