Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Vintage recordings of live performances

Pages: 1 3 replies

S

Some of my very favorite recordings these days are the live stuff. We are all sojourning back to "Old Hawaii" as it were, and I get goose-bumps listening to these recordings. When I hear the clank of fork on plate in the background, or, I am suddenly transported emotionally to the Mai-Kai dinner show by the sounds of another, it is beyond words!

Probably the most common LPs are the Hawaii Calls stuff. I want more! Please share your good stuff here!

I will start with this one since I already have it out there to share. I can't live without his version of "Hasagowa General Store". It's a little past out most romantic era, yet still such a distant memory from today, that it is quite nice.

We definitely share a passion for "live" recordings Swanky. I especially like the ones that include subtle background noises of people talking, laughing, the tinkling of glasses etc. They really give you an idea of what it was like to be THERE!

I wish I knew if the Art Records archive was still available. I read that some of the recordings survived over the years but not sure who has them now or what they are doing with them. Everything they released was recorded locally in Florida or the Bahamas at at local restaurant and night clubs.

Boy, it would have been great to have an album that was recorded "live" at the Mai Kai! You would think that somebody would have recorded something there back in the day.

Here is a link to my Restaurant Records thread.....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17991&forum=11

This has a LOT of recordings that we are discussing here. Hopefully I will add more. I keep collecting them and currently have over 600!! Why I don't know. I am drawn to them by some mysterious force! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

S

Not saying this is the best, or even Tiki at all, but, it is a live recording inside a TIki bar!

Mr. Fatu - Live at the Hawaiian Inn Daytone Beach

On 2011-03-02 12:09, Swanky wrote:
Not saying this is the best, or even Tiki at all, but, it is a live recording inside a TIki bar!

Mr. Fatu - Live at the Hawaiian Inn Daytone Beach

Thanks for the tip Swanky! I just picked up a "sealed" copy for $6. I'm positive its not exotica but you can't go wrong for pure cheese than a Hawaiian Elvis impersonator!! :lol:

I have another album recorded at the same place that even has the Kon Tiki theme song on it!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 3 replies