Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Tropic Isle, Culver City, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 16 replies

Name:Tropic Isle
Type:restaurant
Street:13222 Washington Blvd
City:Culver City
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

So who knew that Culver City was the hot bed of Tiki? Tiki Shaker posted a thread for the Bali Hai in Culver City and here is another one called the Tropic Isle. I grabbed some images of the matchbook and the menu.

The menu has a really cool map that has some graphics of the Tiki art-forms of the Pacific Rim islands, would love to see a better scan of that!

I think 1961Surf has the matchbook, so maybe he can post a better scan.

Here is the link to the Culver City Bali Hai thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34868&forum=2&start=last#end

DC

DC you didn't notice that Tropic Isle and The Bali Hai had the same address?

So one of them "Hermit Crabbed" the other but who was there first? I'd guess that Tropic isle replaced Bali Hai?

Wow, another great find: This menu does not only use SOME of the Covarrubias Art Form map icons, it is simply an exact copy of the map:

Which makes this establishment the most bold of the all Covarrubias map "inspired" Tiki temples. Let's see who else used that 1939 concept:

Don The Beachcomber
The Islander LA (matchbook)
The Polynesian Torrance

...who else? I know there were others, can't think of them right now.

And I wonder if the name of this place was inspired by the earlier Tropic Isle(s) of Curt/Manny/ and Herman (not Moe) down the street on Washington Blvd in Venice:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33895&forum=2

"Tropic Isle" is more a Pre-Tiki concept, and wasn't used much in the Tiki period anymore, so it's kinda curious it pops up on the same street again.

On 2011-01-28 19:31, Bora Boris wrote:
DC you didn't notice that Tropic Isle and The Bali Hai had the same address?

Bora Boris,

All I have to say is ...

I sure missed that one! Reminds me of the Hukilau / Islander Village post by Tiki Kate. Seems to me you pointed that one out as well.

DC

On 2011-01-29 02:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Which makes this establishment the most bold of the all Covarrubias map "inspired" Tiki temples. Let's see who else used that 1939 concept:

Don The Beachcomber
The Islander LA (matchbook)
The Polynesian Torrance

...who else? I know there were others, can't think of them right now.

Bigbro,

Can't believe I did not see the direct copy of the Covarrubias map! Really botched this post.

Here are the illustrations from those three restaurants with the art map concept:

Don's Menu. The front is a combo of several Covarrubias murals (Flora-Fauna, Art Forms, etc.)

And the back is like the Economy mural.

Islander Matchbok

Polynesian Napkin.

I know there are more but I can't think of them either. Will have to consult the archives.

DC

Great, thank you DC. I really appreciate you scanning, posting and updating with all those images all the time, that's what keeps Tiki Central alive, and what Tiki to me is all about: the visuals, the eye candy, the art.

Thanks Bigbro.

Here is a matchbook from the Frances Langford's Outrigger that incorporates some of the same imagery, just no islands.

DC

Yessss, that was one of the others, right. Interestingly (to some :) ) so, this matchbook must have taken the icons directly from Don's menu, since the Wahine does not appear on any of the Covarrubias maps, and thus is one step removed in the transmission tradition of the maps. The Don's connection makes sense, since (as KailuaGeoff pointed out) :

Langford's Outrigger Restaurant designed and managed by Ed Lawrence, a hollywood set designer, seabee and architect who worked on the original Don the Beachcomber restaurants and did the set designs for Joan Crawford's "Rain"

On 2011-01-29 02:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
And I wonder if the name of this place was inspired by the earlier Tropic Isle(s) of Curt/Manny/ and Herman (not Moe) down the street on Washington Blvd in Venice:

And, there was a Coral Isle on Washington Blvd in Culver City that must have been located somewhere in between the two Tropic Isle locations! Who knew, Washington Blvd the hot-bed of Pre-Tiki in LA.

DC

How fun: Here are a few Polynesian islands that are not grouped in a triangle, but along a channel - The Washington Blvd channel!

Keeping with the "Island" theme, there was another tropical pre-tiki place on...you guessed it, Washington Boulevard in Culver City! This one was the Treasure Island bar that was located in King's Tropical Inn on the corner of Washington Blvd. and Adams (5800 block).

These images of the drink menu are from Mimi Payne's web site

DC

Spotted another matchbook from the Coral Isle located on Washington Blvd on the web.

It was operated by Harold LaVon and offered Intimate Entertainment.

DC

Here's one I've never seen before. The auction went a little high for me, but it's very cool nonetheless. Congrats to the new owner!

:o :o WOW! :o :o

On 2011-03-21 19:03, Trader Tom wrote:
Here's one I've never seen before. The auction went a little high for me, but it's very cool nonetheless. Congrats to the new owner!

Stunning! I am in total disbelief! How could I have never seen such a mug in all these years!

As a matter of fact, I am in DENIAL - like totally! I flat out cannot accept this apparition and therefore convinced myself that this is a recent creation, fashioned from the menu rendering by some Tiki-Banksy, who jokingly added some "Spanish-style" dry ice pockets.

WHAT did the auction text say? WHERE did it come from? I don't believe a word of it!

On 2011-03-21 21:09, bigbrotiki wrote:

Stunning! I am in total disbelief! How could I have never seen such a mug in all these years!

As a matter of fact, I am in DENIAL - like totally! I flat out cannot accept this apparition and therefore convinced myself that this is a recent creation, fashioned from the menu rendering by some Tiki-Banksy, who jokingly added some "Spanish-style" dry ice pockets.

WHAT did the auction text say? WHERE did it come from? I don't believe a word of it!

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290545296240&si=9LZFMB2PZlvQnAlWTIvmbVY57FU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_6782wt_1141

I would have been skeptical as well, but they had the following vintage unmarked Spurlin (if memory serves) Tiki Mug listed as well and both supposedly came out of an estate sale.

It went for $182.50 to a different bidder.

I don't know if the Tropic Isle mug is a Spurlin as well since it appears glossy, but the earth tone color is about the same. What do you guys think?

Pages: 1 16 replies