Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Mai Tai Wave, Mango, Guava and Maui Mai Tai.s

Pages: 1 9 replies

Does anyone know the recipes for Trader Vic's 3 in 1 Mai Tai Wave, and when it is served on a surf board is it the same or smaller portions that if one orders them one at a time? Also how do they make a Mango Mai Tai. Guava Mai Tai and Maui Mai Tai.

Since I posted this topic a week ago, I have had over 100 people read it so far, but none has posted a reply. I have not been able to visit TV's Emeryville, so I have not been able to taste those original drinks. I do not have the actual recepies, but I wanted to share some information. First, the 3 glasses that come with The Wave surfboard are 5 oz, the regular Mai Tai glasses are 15 oz, so the drinks on the surfboard would be 1/3 the size than if you ordered each drink seperately. If you look at photos of the drinks on The Wave, the 3 Mai Tai's appear to have 3 different colors, so they must have different ingredients. If anyone can post a photo of the 3 drinks on The Wave or seperately please do so. There are basicaly 2 ways TV's makes a Mai Tai-regular version- with rums, lime, Mai Tai-mix, and garnish, or 1944 version with rums, lime (orange curacao, oregat syrup and rock candy syrup)-aka (oc, os, & rcs). The TV's Emeryville Menu describes each of The Wave Mai Tai's as follows: Maui Mai Tai-"pineapple, Mai Tai mix, dark rum". Guava Mai Tai-"light & gold rums, guava juice, secret formula". TV's sells a guava rum, but so does Cruzan. Mango Mai Tai-"even more tropical with mango". TV's also sells a mango rum, but so does Capt Morgans Parrot Bay. I encourage each of you to try to make each of these Wave Mai Tai's different ways,regular size and 1/3 size (with the Mai Tai mix or with oc, os & rcs), lime, as allways, garnish and different rums. Then post what you think. I hope your concoctions will be just as good as when Trader Vic invented the Mai Tai in 1944. Thats when Carrie Guild sampled the first one and told Trader Vic the new drink was "Mai Tai-Roe Ae", which in Tahitian means "Out of this world-the best".

After I posted my question 3 weeks ago, I was able to track down the official Trader Vic's full size recepies for the 3 drinks. If you make them in The Wave reduce them to 1/3 and use a 5 oz glass. Maui Mai Tai-sqz 1/4 lime, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz TV Mai Tai mix, 2 oz Royal Amber rum, 1 1/2 oz pineapple juice. Garnish is the same for all of them: lime shell, mint, straw, & umbrella. Mango Mai Tai-sqz 1/4 lime, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz TV Mai Tai mix, 1 oz TV light rum, 1 oz TV gold rum, 1 oz Mango puree. Guava Mai Tai- sqz 1/4 lime, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz TV Mai Tai mix, 1 oz light rum, 1 oz gold rum, 2 oz Guava juice. Trader Vic's has also added a Vodka Mai Tai-sqz 1/4 lime, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz Mai Tai mix, 2 oz Vodka. Fo all of them use a 15 oz rocks glass and shake with ice. Try making each of these drinks and tell me wha you think.

wot's in the 'MaiTai mix?'

Hey Porpoise The main ingredients in the Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix are Orange Curacao, Orgeat syrup and Rock Candy syrup( (that is 2 parts sugar-1 part hot water--which is different than simple sugar which is 1-1 sugar to water). If you search on Tiki Central and type in Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix you will find several earlier posts. One of them has a recipe from Todd Wilbur who has written several books on figuring out other famous recipes. Another one lists the ingredients off a bottle and another one lists the ingredients after they changed the bottle. If you to try the mix and you can not get it locally you can go on line to Trader Vic's Gourmet Shop. As a matter of fact they regularly sell a liter bottle of Mai Tai Mix for $5.75 but they are having a Presidents Sale buy 2 bottles get one free although I am not sure how long the sale lasts.

thanks OBA, that makes sense. Have never been to a TV's and in checking their website just realized one has opened in FLA down in Sarasota, so i'll have to make a visit some time. (fyi, the Sarasota menu doesnt list a mai tai wave, but I've certainly made my share of mojitos and margaritas using papaya, guava, and mango juices, wife likes them all)

OK I know this thread has been a little old. But I figured I would ask here.

Has anyone seen the Mai Tai Wave (Surf Board, and three glasses) sell anywhere? I've checked the usual, Ooga-Mooga, ebay, google, etc. and I can't find a single sale of these.

I recently visited the Abu Dhabi Trader Vic's, they have them for sale for roughly $68. I know Trader Vic's stuff can get expensive, but this just seems high to me. Nothing on their website is this high, but they don't sell the Mai Tai Wave on their website.

Again, I'd normally check Ooga-Mooga first, but there is not a single person on there with the Mai Tai Wave. Which seems odd to me since they do sell it here.

So has anyone ever seen the Mai Tai Wave sell somewhere? What would others value the Mai Tai Wave at?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Looks like Vic's used to sell it online:

http://tradervics.com/product/trader-vics-mai-tai-sampler-surfboard-with-3-mini-mai-tai/

but it's out of stock....and at 75 bucks (plus shipping, I imagine) the one's you saw previously were a bargain.

howlinowl

D

I have one that I bought from the TV website last year. I don't remember how much it cost, but I recall it being kinda ridiculous.

I don't want to drop $75, but that is a very cool sampler that I would love to serve Mai Tai flights in.

Pages: 1 9 replies