Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov Is Back!

Pages: 1 4 replies

DZ

On February 2 I was back in the saddle again broadcasting live for the first time in a month and a half because of a hand and wrist injury that prevented me from driving to and from the radio station. But a good friend helped drive me to the station this week and will do so again next week. After that, I hope to be recovered enough to drive myself. Thank you for your patience.

Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Radio Fairfax, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.radiofairfax.org This show is only broadcast live; there are no recorded shows archived that you can listen to. However, some fans do record the show’s live broadcasts on their computers to listen to in the future.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 2, 2011

1. “Hawaiian War Chant” by Billy Mure from the anthology: RE/Search Incredibly Strange Music, Volume I

2. “Voodoo” by Robert Drasnin from the CD: Voodoo! – The Exotic Sounds of Robert Drasnin. Vocals by Sally Terri

3. “Jungle Julie” from the most recent Don Tiki CD: South of the Boudoir

4. “Cherry Rain” by Kava Kon from their CD: Tiki for the Atomic Age

5. “Caravan” from the collection: The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny

6. “Pyramid of the Sun” by Les Baxter From the CD: Ultra-Lounge Mondo Exotica – Mysterious Melodies & Tropical Tiki Tunes – Taken from his 1959 LP: The Sacred Idol

7. “Princess Poo-Poo-Ly Has Plenty Pa-Pa-Ya” by Alfred Apaka With the Hawaiian Village Serenaders from his recording: My Isle of Golden Dreams

8. “Poho Moku” by The Tikiyaki Orchestra from their latest CD: Swingin’ Sounds for the Jungle Jetset!

9. “Bali Ha'i” by the Waitiki 7 from the CD: New Sounds of Exotica

10. “Sway (remix)” by Duke Robillard and Sunny Crownover from their CD: Tales From the Tiki Lounge/“Dedicated to the Music of Les Paul”

11. “Babalu” by Desi Arnaz from the CD Box Set: South of the Border – Greatest Latin Hits

12. “Sabrosa” by Ramon Argueso Y Su Orquesta from the collection: Mobologia Pa’ Gozar, Volume 1

13. “Manteca” Dizzy Gillespie & His Orchestra With Chano Pozo from the anthology: Latin Jazz/La Combinacion Perfecta

14. “Alluya” by Tito Puente from the CD: Puente Caliente! Originally released as Un Poco Loco in 1987

15. “Historia de un Amor” by Jackie Ryan from her debut CD: Passion Flower

Doc,

I've always wanted to listen to your show but the time is not convenient for me. Recording from my computer sounds like a great solution. I don't know how to do that. Can you (or anyone else) lay out the process, step by step?

Also, is there some way to program the computer to record at a future time rather than live? (like I do with recording TV shows).

Mahalo

Welcome back, Doctor Zarkov! Are you doing Live365 yet?

DZ

I'm not sure how the recording on your computer is done. Some of our other Radio Fairfax DJs recently posted info on our DJ Yahoo! group about software for recording from a Mac, but I don't know exactly how to do that on a PC. For a Mac you can use something called RadioShift: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/radioshift/ Other recommendations from Radio Fairfax DJs were Total Recorder and Sound Forge, although I don't know any of these because I record my shows onto a CD while I'm broadcasting.

Perhaps you could post the question as a separate thread on the TC Music board and we could both learn how to record radio shows! (I have a PC)

As for Live365, I looked into that several times over the years and was ready to do it a few years back when the new copyright law doubled the royalty fees. I was unemployed at the time and didn' feel I was in a position to lay out that much in coin. It was also around that time that my wife saw an ad in a a local newspaper for Fairfax Public Access, which was looking for people to get involved in their radio as well as TV channels. To have the show on Radio Fairfax only cost me the fee for a mandatory radio course they reuqire all new DJs take and $26 in annual dues, plus I have to drive to and from the station once a week.

On 2011-02-08 15:27, Dr. Zarkov wrote:
I'm not sure how the recording on your computer is done. Some of our other Radio Fairfax DJs recently posted info on our DJ Yahoo! group about software for recording from a Mac, but I don't know exactly how to do that on a PC. For a Mac you can use something called RadioShift: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/radioshift/ Other recommendations from Radio Fairfax DJs were Total Recorder and Sound Forge, although I don't know any of these because I record my shows onto a CD while I'm broadcasting.

Perhaps you could post the question as a separate thread on the TC Music board and we could both learn how to record radio shows! (I have a PC)

As for Live365, I looked into that several times over the years and was ready to do it a few years back when the new copyright law doubled the royalty fees. I was unemployed at the time and didn' feel I was in a position to lay out that much in coin. It was also around that time that my wife saw an ad in a a local newspaper for Fairfax Public Access, which was looking for people to get involved in their radio as well as TV channels. To have the show on Radio Fairfax only cost me the fee for a mandatory radio course they reuqire all new DJs take and $26 in annual dues, plus I have to drive to and from the station once a week.

Good idea. Will do.

Pages: 1 4 replies