Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki-Kate's Tiki Estate Sale - Sunday Feb 20th - address updated!

Pages: 1 32 replies

M
mieko posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 11:54 AM

In order to help out Kate's family, we're going to sell off Kate's left over tiki stuff. My parents have a shop in Oceanside, and it's pretty quiet on the weekend, so we'll have a little parking lot sale. Address is
273 Airport Road
Oceanside, CA 92058

There are mugs, shirts, and various other art and collectibles. Stuff should be pretty good prices, but we do want to raise money for her family to keep her house. It was really important to her to leave it to her brother.

11am - 4pm

I'll probably bring some kalua pork to snack on if enough people RSVP.

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2011-02-15 13:08 ]

Shoot, I'm going to be in Palm Springs for Modernism weekend. Hopefully I can make it back in time before the end of the sale. Once again Mieko, thanks for all you have done for Kate and continue to do for her family.

Hey Mieko...I always forget your a fellow San Diego tiki friend. I'm pretty sure I can make it to this, I'd really like to go. So sorta count me in!

I think thats a grand idea Meiko, keep us posted.

K

I'd like to come down for that!

That's a good cause, and since we live close to the 5 and 76 now we'll try to make it.

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2011-02-06 12:17 ]

I actually may be able to make this! I'd love to be able to come and help support the effort. Making a note of the date!

I'm there! Saving my pennies.

Shoot, been meaning to come down south for a weekend, but I have other plans that weekend.

There will be many boxes of mugs and other great tiki items. I'm sorry we can't post pictures but it's all boxed up and won't be unpacked until the day of the sale.

< bump >

M
mieko posted on Thu, Feb 17, 2011 3:10 PM

Rain or Shine!! Bring a jacket, we've got an overhang, but not a lot of indoor space.

I was looking forward to this but now I have to work. Good luck with the sale! Maybe you could offer items on Tiki Central if they don't sell Sun?

The rain looks like it will be gone by tomorrow morning!

M
mieko posted on Sat, Feb 19, 2011 9:16 PM

If there's stuff that doesn't sell, we'll either have another sale in a few months, or try to post some stuff on eBay or TC.

Looking forward to seeing people tomorrow!

Hopefully the rain will give us a break! Either way, my husband & I will be there; probably sometime around Noon.

One more BUMP before getting in the car. :)

Just got back, here's a couple pics while still setting up.

Tons of clothes, and all killer, no filler.

We didn't even have enough space for all the mugs!

$10 dollar table.

I scored a couple shirts, a book and and dashboard bobble tiki!

Nice turnout, I think everyone left happy. Thanks! :)

D

On 2011-02-20 19:06, Bora Boris wrote:
Nice turnout, I think everyone left happy. Thanks! :)

I know I did. A little bit of Kate came home with me and will always have a home in Hulaville. Thank you guys.

[ Edited by: Dawntiki 2011-02-20 20:49 ]

M

Thanks so much to all the helpers and all the shoppers! It was a really great day, and we raised a lot of money for the family. I think people got some pretty good deals on stuff too.

We do have leftovers! We'll be getting a few items up on ebay, and we'll probably have another sale at some point as well, most likely at another location.

I'll update this thread when we have more news.

Mieko deserves a lot of praise for all her hard work in packing up, storing, unpacking, setting up, and selling Kate's collection. This is a huge undertaking, and it's done out of love because the money is going to Kate's family.

Thanks Mieko, you are awesome!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 21, 2011 9:29 AM

Mieko's the BEST!

Mieko for President!

GROG wish GROG could've gone, but GROG had to get stuff finished up before GROG go to Tennessee for a week.

I was bummed I missed it, considering I'm thousands of miles away. So I'm glad items will be up on ebay! I'm looking forward to helping out in some way.

Big thanks to Mieko and everyone involved in putting this together! There were so many tremendous temptations, I only wish our budget were bigger. We'll try to save some pennies for the next sale. I was never able to meet Kate, but will think of her often everytime I wear or use one of our great purchases.
Mahalo!

For those who couldn't make it to Oceanside yesterday, I listed a couple of mugs on e-bay. See the notice in the Tiki Marketplace forum.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Feb 22, 2011 2:36 AM

I would love to procure a shirt from Kate's incredible collection - we had a trade in the pipeline a while back but it never eventuated (for what are now obvious reasons). Please post in the marketplace if any of them end up on ebay...

Paipo, you're right, we should list some shirts on e-Bay too. I'll post it on TC when it happens.

Big thanks to Mieko and her family for hosting this and thanks to all the volunteers that worked too.

On 2011-02-22 14:26, Daves Not Home wrote:
Big thanks to Mieko and her family for hosting this and thanks to all the volunteers that worked too.

I agree! Mieko, you did a nice thing. KArma comes back

Amy

J

Just wanted to take a moment and express our gratitude to Mieko, Ookoo Lady, Erik the Red, Bora Boris, Kate's Family and everyone else that was kind enough to help out with the daunting task of liquidating the remainder of Kate's collection.
It was truly a bittersweet affair--there were so many AMAZING things still available for an absolute steal, yet every single item brought with it thoughts of her. Especially moving was seeing things that struck a personal chord...Tiki Magazines still in their original shipping envelopes with her name on them and the only full set of prints I ever did of the drinks in Sippin' Safari--that she actually took the care and time to not only request, but have framed.
After the sadness, however, came the true joy of knowing that the things that were so special to her would continue to be special to others that really appreciate them.
Marie and I are absolutely honored to now have in our collection some of Kate's prized finds, and we will think of her every time we enjoy them.
Thanks again to everyone involved and may the memories of Kate continue to resound with strength!!!

BS

i never met Kate, but after going to the sale i looked her up and was saddened i never got the opportunity to meet her. It's great what you guys have done for her. and i did get some awesome pieces! i got Jonpaul's Pearl Diver's Punch! i know there was another one of his photo's i wanted, but i didnt have much money that day. Hopefully i can make it to the next event!

Pages: 1 32 replies