Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage Trader Vic's Hula Girl Scorpion Bowl? Need opinions/information...Please Help!

Pages: 1 3 replies

O

Hi all, I am new to this forum and am posting about a possible vintage Trader Vic's Scorpion Bowl.
I have searched multiple forums here and elsewhere and have come up with differing opinions on the value of the item. So far, I haven't found anything conclusive, but from what I gathered from my research, it is one of the really old ones.
On the bottom of the bowl in bas relief is engraved "Made for Trader Vic's"
The bowl itself is roughly 3" tall and around 9 1/2" across. It balances on three kneling hula girls in yellow skirts and depicts scenes of drinking and debauchery.
There are barrels of rum with "Trader Vic's Old Times XXX Rum." I came across one description of this item where the word "Times" is spelled "Tyme" instead. I don't know if this would make a difference in determining its authenticity or not.
The bowl is in mint condition. One of the tiki girls was broken off but has been re-attached, probably with superglue. Overall it looks almost new.
Does anyone have an opinion on how much this is worth? Is there any other relevant information I should include. If I get any replies I will post pictures as well. Thanks!

L

From my experience a repaired bowl is not worth very much. Collectors who want the item want it in mint condition.

Mint condition does not involve something being glued.

[ Edited by: leleliz 2011-02-07 15:04 ]

Oogopogos,

Check the website Ooga Mooga, run by Humuhumu.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=933

It contains a great wealth of information on mugs, including recent price sightings by members. The Vic's bowl has ranged from $80 to $100, but it is tough to say in today's depressed Tiki market.

DC

Z

The most important value is the one you place on it...I would love to see pics of your bowl!
~Zero

Pages: 1 3 replies