Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

thoughts on the Spindrift?

Pages: 1 15 replies

I gave this a try after seeing several referenced to it here. The vanilla was okay, but I found the lemon overwhelming when combined with the vanilla. Does anybody make it without lemon, or with a substitution for the lemon?

Also, was wondering where this drink was invented.

thanks

A

Have you tried reducing the lemon juice? I've never made this drink, but 2 oz seems like a lot.

Jeff Berry invented the drink, but it was served at the Taboo Cove bar in Las Vegas.

R

The Spindrift is a personal favorite of mine.

I usually skip measuring the lemon on this one; I use one small lemon which usually ends up being an ounce and a half (not a Meyers lemon though). I love this drink. FWIW, the Chief Lapu Lapu is a near identical recipe.

At the risk of repeating myself too much, I think the Bum uses entirely too much citrus. HOWEVER... Vic's recipes do, too, when calling for lemon. So, it's not just a Bum thing and no offense is intended whatsoever. I have to wonder if they're using a different lemon when coming up with these drinks other than the standard grocery store lemon. Are Myers lemons less tart? Maybe they're using those, I don't know.

In any case, I love lemon in drinks, but in the Bum's and in Vic's recipes, when it calls for lemon... I just go ahead and half what the recipe calls for. I find that works really well. You still get the lemon flavor, but you can also still taste everything else in the drink, too.

A

Slightly off topic, but in response to Cucamonga - Meyer lemons are less acidic than other lemons. There's a good article in the latest Imbibe Magazine about using Meyers in cocktails:

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Elements-Meyer-Lemons

Is just me, or is the spindrift entirely too strong? I usually blend mine without ice, divide the amount and blend one portion with ice for a full sized drink. The spindrift as a full-sized drink as written takes on every other drink in terms of being the champion of getting people dui's.

On 2011-02-13 10:22, telescopes wrote:
Is just me, or is the spindrift entirely too strong? I usually blend mine without ice, divide the amount and blend one portion with ice for a full sized drink. The spindrift as a full-sized drink as written takes on every other drink in terms of being the champion of getting people dui's.

I hate to quote myself, but I just made a discovery. I was reading the original recipe for the spindrift in Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide. It is called a Rum Keg and is acknowledged by the Beachbum to be the source for the Spindrift. The biggest difference - and the differences were very small - is that Vic used Navy Grog Rum.

I had been thinking that the drink could be improved by the addition of a Pimento Dram. However, because I prefer my drinks made properly and because Pimento is so damn expensive, I didn't add it. But when I saw that Vic used Navy Grog Rum, I thought, hmmm, perhaps Vic did believe an under note of spices was necessary.

So, I added a gentle splash of Pimento Dram (Berry Hill) to my second portion of Spindrift and voila... a beautiful drink was born.

I encourage you to do likewise. Just as Pimento Dram enhances Berry's Navy Grog recipe (see Ancient Mariner) the Pimento lifts the citrus notes in the Spindrift and makes a great drink a perfect drink.

Try it. You will thank me later. I added only a teaspoon or so to the second half of the recipe that I had previously split so I don't have exact recommendations for how much it will need. Call it a Jamaican Spindrift or whatever. It is an improvement.

The origin for the Spindrift was Trader Vic's Rum Pot, not the larger Rum Keg.

I like it as-is but the simplified Spindrift Jr. is more balanced.

Keg...

Did I say keg?

Ah, ...

I meant pot!

havent come across any pimento/allspice dram around here yet.

heck, only recently found a store carrying falernum, which led me down this whole tiki path for the first time!

Just make your own allspice dram using the recipe in Sippin' Safari then!!!

I made my own Allspice Pimento Dram from Jeff's books and it's far better than any that I bought before. Give it a go!

Can it be made with pre-ground allspice?

On 2011-02-14 11:16, thePorpoise wrote:

Don't waste your time with the pre-ground. The whole allspice ground fresh will have a much livelier flavor.

On 2011-02-14 11:16, thePorpoise wrote:

This does actually work in a pince - grind a tsp of allspice into some simple sugar and microwave to it simmers. This will approximate the flavor of pimento dram. Taste the mixture before you add it to the drink. I wouldn't use too much at first. You will only add perhaps a tsp or so of the mixture to the drink.

While not exactly scientific, it does work and in email conversations with the Bum, it is seen as an acceptable kitchen remedy when you don't have the right stuff.

Pages: 1 15 replies