Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

go big or go home!

Pages: 1 18 replies

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 2:50 PM

This is a log that my friend has had sitting in his backyard for about twom months. Hes been asking me to carve it for him so obviously I was super excited to give it a go. This thing is a monster! 12 feet long with about 4 feet already covered in tar for when it gets stood up. Def the biggest log ive ever attempted so be please gentle :wink:

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 2:54 PM

this was the progress after the first day...about 5 hours on and off...this thing is HEAVY!!! Def got a workout from rolling it back and forth all day :)

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 2:56 PM

progress from the middle of day two...my back hurts :)

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 2:59 PM

End of day two...spent about 3 hours on it total for the day...half of the time was spent rolling and positioning it...lol...ill be back at it on friday so Ill try to post some pics then...take care evrybody! comments and critiques are always appreciated :)

M

Whoa!

Nice grand slam there Nix.

Very nice lines

Mc

Are you going to cut the mouth out?

P

Is the tar so you can bury it?

If so, that's a great idea.

N

Thanks McTiki!

I am only going to carve the mouth out a little bit because it is going to be used to support a hammock so I dont want it to break.

And yea...the tar is for the buried part...he got the idea from a friend of his. Def the way to go...nothing getting through the tar :)

Ill be working on it tomorrow so ill post some pics later in the day!! Take care all and thanks for looking!!

B

Lookin Great Nix, and the Tar seems like a good idea but it really isn't. I Used to use that many years ago and it's a double edge sword, especially with the Palms. While it seals the log so nothing gets in it also prevents moisture from getting out which helps speed up the rotting process. So it isn't a Great big deal but better done differently. Still Excellent first TIKI!

T

Looks like a big cigar

T

Looks like a big cigar

S

MMumm like the size of this fella

N

Heres a couple progress pics...never done a body before so im kinda wingin it with this one...I would like to put some toes in the front but not real sure how to go about it...any ideas?

N

On another note...found a couple of these logs lying around so decided to give em a try while takin a break from the big one...i think they are queen...anyway...SUPER soft cause it was still soaking wet...literally like cutting butter. Not sure how its gona hold up but it was just kind of an experiment TIKI :) Cut a little bit out of the top, planted her in the ground and threw some ferns in the top!

N

and just a couple more from today!!! I just cant get enough :)

Wow, you're on a roll. I love the guy in the last pic. I'm an artist, but no carver, but I'd say that guy would look awesome with a nice stain job on him.

N

thank you kindly. That is the next step for sure...just trying to think about what stain would be best...hmmmm

N

This guy looked WAY TOO happy just chillin in the sun...hope ya like it :)

L

Nice work you do Nixxon! Do you prepare a Tiki gate?
In any case welcome on TC! A bit later...

Pages: 1 18 replies