Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge 2-9-11 Playlist

Pages: 1 0 replies

This week’s pre-Valentine’s Day show was dedicated to the Doctor’s Canonical Wife, the Beauteous and Talented Elinor. Be sure to listen to Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge next Wednesday, 5-6 P.M. Eastern Time, on Radio Fairfax, which can be heard on the Internet at: http://www.radiofairfax.org This show is only broadcast live; there are no recorded shows archived that you can listen to. However, some fans do record the show’s live broadcasts on their computers to listen to in the future.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 9, 2011

1. “Coffee in the Morning, Kisses in the Night,” the 1933 recording by Jim and Bob, The Genial Hawaiians (Jim Holtein & Bob Kaai), From the anthology: Honolulu to Hollywood – Jazz, Blues & Popular Specialties Performed Hawaiian Style

2. “The Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish” by Martin Denny from the collection: Ultra-Lounge Mondo Exotica – Mysterious Melodies & Tropical Tiki Tunes, taken from the Martin Denny 1960 LP: Exotic Percussion

3. “Island Love” by the Peter Moon Band From The Panini Collection

4. “In My Life” by Keali’i Reichel from his CD: Collection Two – Kamalei

5. “Hapa Haole Hula Girl (My Honolulu Hula Girl)” by Alfred Apaka & Danny Stewart’s Hawaiians from the 1964 LP: Hawaiian Favorites

6. “All The Things You Are” by Bill Tapia from the CD: Duke of Uke, recorded in 2003 when he was 95 years old

7. “(You Dyed Your Hair) Chartreuse” the 1950 song from the CD Box Set: Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five [Disc E: 1949-50]

8. “The Squirrel” the 1947 song by The Tadd Dameron Sextet: from the CD Box Set: The Fats Navarro Story [Disc Two: Nostalgia] With Ernie Henry on Alto Sax; Charlie Rouse on Tenor Sax; Tadd Dameron on Piano; Nelson Boyd on Bass; and Shadow Wilson on Drums

9. “A Fine Romance” Fred Astaire from the 1952 recording sessions encapsulated in the CD: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings. The Jerome Kern song that Astaire originally performed in the 1936 movie “Swing Time,” laid down here with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass, and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

10. “Better Than Anything” by Nnenna Freelon, Recorded in July 2003 at the Montreux Jazz Festival and included in the collection: Voices of Concord Jazz – Live at Montreux [Disc Two]

11. “Smile” by Dianne Reeves from her CD: Quiet After the Storm [Music by George Duke & Lyrics by Dianne Reeves, With George Duke on Piano & Synclavier Strings, Kevin Eubanks on Acoustic Guitar, and Terri Lynne Carrington on Drums.

12. “Dindi” by Sylvia Telles from the EMI collection: The Story of Bossa Nova

13. “Amame Mamá (Give Me Love, Mama)” by Ricardo Lemvo & his band, Makina Loca, from the CD: Ay Valeria!

14. “I Know You From Somewhere” by Mark Murphy from his CD: Once to Every Heart [Composed by MM. With Till Bronner on Trumpet & Frank Chasteiner on Piano]

Pages: 1 0 replies