Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tiki Video

Pages: 1 15 replies

I was at Oceanic Arts today and caught our buddy Leroy watching a tiki video in his shop . It was a copy of the Long Beach TV show from a couple of months ago. I think it was called Tiki Hunters? Hopefully copies will be avail soon for us to get our grubby lil hands on. I don't want to spoil the viewing experience for y'all but I saw some familiar faces and even some new ones. Did anybody catch this on TV?

N

Yesterday on the Food Network there was a show called "Top 5 Food Fads of the 1950s". Number four was....Polynesian Cocktails enjoyed in a Tiki bar! They gave a nice, if brief, encapsulation of the whole thing, and then showed a bartender at a Trader Vic's making a Mai-Tai.

And, in the previous hour on HGTV, on a show about water gardens, they profiled a rooftop garden with a Tiki that was probably four feet tall.

S

Is someone gonna buy that place ? (the Luau Room) I recieved an Email about a month ago w/ a heads up that it was on the market. I told a couple friends who's life ambition is to own a Tikibar, but they're devoted SoCalers so I think it's outa the question. What is/was the place like? was it a good one? What's Louisville like?

N

Check out the forum here called "Save the Luau Room, Louisville, KY"

I have not heard of any updates about the video. Does anyone have this? Will it actually be for sale?

The guy called me the other day. He let me know that Wes at House of Tiki is gonna sell this. I suggested to him that they show the video at the tiki beach fest in August.

Hey folks, you can buy the DVD or VHS here:

http://webpages.charter.net/witham/Stuff#Tiki%20Hunters

Or watch a preview here:
http://homepage.mac.com/witham/iMovieTheater20.html

I think you might recognise a couple of faces there!

Trader Woody

Looks like a great documentary.
I think I'll buy it.
I hope the lighting gets better than the preview.

On 2004-07-19 13:22, Trader Woody wrote:

I think you might recognise a couple of faces there!

Trader Woody

Indeed! Many fine folks in this documentary. That was a very good preview and I ESPECIALLY enjoyed the very last scene as The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa gracefully hulas into the fade-out. Fun!

-I. Grogg

A bit of info on this video and its crew can be found here in a post about our show that they taped.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=2586&forum=4&start=0

-Grogg, I.

Wheee! I just ordered mine too! Really looking forward to viewing it.

More tiki...more tiki....more tiki....

K

I hope the lighting gets better than the preview

Well...not really. It's obvious there were some major lighting issues when they were making this, especially in some of the bars. Still it's a cool DVD, some great interviews and tons of tikis. It was interesting for me to see the inside of Oceanic Arts since I've never been there. I couldn't stop drooling.

how long is the documentry?...anyone know?....didnt see that listed on the web page

K

how long is the documentry?

Around 23 minutes.

I got my dvd in todays mail.

D

Man! The threads I miss when I go on vacation! This looks interesting seems like something I'll have to investigate further. I wonder if there are any still available?Looks fun!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2005-04-26 19:02 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies