Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

PockyTiki's NEW(ish) Cannibal T-shirts on Page 4!

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

having semi-recently graduated from a small art college, and having been on hiatus from Tiki Central for a couple years, I thought it was about time to start a doodle thread! What's a doodle thread? It's where I'll be posting anything and everything tiki/Polypop related from my sketchbook! Let's take a look, shall we?

doodled these guys while in my car while waiting for work to roll around. Ironically enough, I actually had music from Disney's Adventureland playing in the background too.

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2011-02-27 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2011-08-29 15:20 ]

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2011-08-31 15:21 ]

[ Edited by: Pockytiki 2011-12-19 15:46 ]

Just drew this while preparing for sleepy-time. :)

Great stuff PT, keep it comin'!

Glad you enjoy them. I always find spontaneous imagery to typically be the best.

Also, I acquired some silkscreening equipment a month or two ago and have been experimenting with it. I've made several shirts and am considering making a run of a few tiki shirts as well. Just thought I'd let you all know, in case someone on here is interested in one.

Drew these dudes a little while ago. I'm diggin the little circle guys.

been messing with Photoshop and singled out one of the tikis from a previous post. Considering using him for a test shirt.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 16, 2011 9:45 AM

He'd make a good mug.

I concur! Now if only I was good with clay....

drew some more today, seeing as I had the day off from work.

I also made a watercolor base on some acrylic board and plan on finishing that tiki piece soon.

Got a new piece out today. Nothing too fancy, just a Green Tiki.

Watercolor base on acrylic board, with pen and Prismacolor marker.

New doodle! Sail the South Pacific!

I may experiment with the sea-faring Tiki idea. Might make a good comic or something.

I like the colored tikis PT

Thanks, MD!

Cannibals!

:lol: that's funny! :lol:

I couldn't help myself, I had to draw some Lucha Libre masks too....

Bought a box of projector transparencies today at the local office supply store and am now experimenting with whiteout. The opacity of the whiteout will work great during the Screen printing process. I am also enjoying the Tiki Bob i drew down in the corner. Hopefully, I'll have a design I like well enough to transfer it over onto a tshirt.

(Also for reference, it's ridiculously hard to get a straight line with a whiteout pen....)

planning on slapping ol' Bob...err...."Rob" here onto a shirt either today or tomorrow. Will post results ASAP :) And no, this is not a portrait of the classic Tiki Bob. This is Tiki Rob, Bob's close cousin. He's not as smiley as Bob but he sure is a party animal.

"Cannibal Offering"

Going to be printing this guy up, hopefully today unless something comes up.

Got mr. Cannibal successfully burned into the screen and will begin inking some shirts momentarily.

Pocky, he looks like he's feeling the weight of that skull and he's getting ready to chuck it. Sokohuma the Skull-Chucker :D

I like it!

Success!

Cute!

Have you tried two or three colour designs yet? The best part is mixing your own tints!

No, and that's only because I'm only working with one screen. I have a second, but it's rather low quality and I don't trust it. :/

You should sell a few shirts, for more supplies! Kilns are right around the corner.

Oh geez don't even get me started. I told my g/f that we need to take sculpting/carving lessons or something. I really wanna learn.

Great designs, PT!

Thanks Zero! Glad you like em!

Messed around with some Sculpey the other night, and made a pendant.

It's based on the cannibal character from my tshirt.

Nice pendant. Isn't Sculpty cool?! Very shiny, you use Future floor wax? I like that you can make realistic faux stones with Sculpty like jade or ivory.

Yeah, I seriously hadn't touched the stuff since like....well...elementary school, but it's fun! The glaze i put on it, kind of killed some of the detail, so I'll have to experiment more.

P

So Sam the cannibal's been busy! He just got a twitter!

http://twitter.com/#!/SamTheCannibal

Well it's been awhile since I've posted anything of value, and art-related for that matter. So let's get this ball rolling, shall we?

Having bought a new sketchbook, I thought i'd break it in....

and here's something a little different. I took an old Target-bought coconut mug, and drew on it with a paint pen.

And while we're on the topic of paint pens, here's a small thing I did on a scrap piece of cardboard.

Been trying to do something art-related atleast once a day, if not more....

T

I like 'em! Great sketches too.

Thanks BigT!

Here's another sketch i did today.

Don't know why I decided to add goat horns and a robe, but it looked like it went well with the motif.

added a little more to this sketch last night

Decided to ink it and test out my new Castell pens.

Z

That is really cool!

P

just giving an update. The last drawing I posted, the "Pagan Ritual" piece, i decided to get printed on some skate decks. I got three printed, so I'll post pics once they get here.

Awesome. I would love to see a step by step of how you are printing on a skate deck. I imagine it is silk screen, but would like to see your process I find comparing artistic processes eternally fascinating. Your sketch thread has been a lot of fun so far too by the way! :)

HJ

Thank you!

Truly some fine Tiki art being generated, Good on you; please keep it coming.

P

On 2011-09-04 21:35, tigertail777 wrote:
Awesome. I would love to see a step by step of how you are printing on a skate deck. I imagine it is silk screen, but would like to see your process I find comparing artistic processes eternally fascinating. Your sketch thread has been a lot of fun so far too by the way! :)

Hey TigerTail!

Unfortunately I am not skilled enough at silkscreening to print on a skate deck. I've only printed on fabric, and honestly don't really have the cajones to print on skate decks right now. I sent my design into a professional company out of Cali, who specialize in custom printing. In fact, some recent decks I've had printed were from them and will be hanging in a gallery this weekend in NH.

As far as step by step goes, in order to get the design dark enough to make a good, printable design, all I had to do was scan it into my laptop, upload it to Photoshop, crop it a bit and up the contrast. I also went back and touched up some blank spots.

I see, well would you know what kind of silkscreen ink they use to do it? I am very curious what kind they would have to use because it would have to be extra durable under various conditions. Plastisol MIGHT work, but I am not sure. I would love to see photos of the decks when you get them done for the gallery. I bet they are going to look stellar. :)

[ Edited by: tigertail777 2011-09-06 18:34 ]

P

From what I've read, Boardpusher does not actually silkscreen the designs. Most skateboards you see in large retailers are heat transfered and wrapped. Skateboards are made from layers of veneer, so another technique used is to print an image on a flat piece of veneer and then manufacturing the skateboard. So my guess is, once they receive my design through the computer, they can then transfer it over to a large printing machine and basically just transfer the image over onto the skateboard.

Z

Your work is amazing! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you Zero! You're one to talk, your stuff is killer.

anyways, here's a recent one i finished a few days ago actually.

I simply do not know where you are pulling this crazy cool stuff from. Very interesting and original tiki concoctions. Keep them coming. :)

Soooooooooooo, I totally forgot to update you kind folks on some of the stuff I've been doing. You know those tiki motifs a page back? Yeah, well I ended up throwing one of them on a couple of skate decks. Check em out! Even have one of 'em hanging up in a skate park in Nashua NH.

Also got a couple other of my pieces hung up back in September in the same skate park. (still gotta pick em up before some rowdy kid yoinks em off the wall)...

The yellow/green argyle deck is mine, as well as the red soviet cosmonaut deck and the green mouth deck.

Anyways...that's about it. I've been working on building up my fledgling apparel biz and just generally having fun with life.

Pages: 1 2 53 replies