Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

famous soft drink secret ingredients cracked?

Pages: 1 4 replies

per this article, secret ingredients of famous soft drink were published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution back in the 70's:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110215/ts_yblog_thelookout/did-nprs-this-american-life-discover-cokes-secret-formula

which Tiki drink has the most similar ingredients??

A

The recipe they're referring to does not include kola nut extract. How can you make Coca-COLA without kola? This story is making the rounds of all the major news agencies, and I'm more than a little surprised that no one that I've seen or heard has brought up this fairly obvious ommision. It could be the ingredient that's listed as "caffeine", but ....

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2011-02-15 14:39 ]

I always thought that there was some clove in there as well???

Story sounds a bit fishy. Marketing hype?

Anyhow, add some rum and lime to that ingredient list.......

per wikipedia:

Despite the name, the primary flavoring ingredients in a cola drink are sugar, citrus oils (orange, lime, or lemon fruit peel), tamarind, cinnamon, vanilla, and an acidic flavorant. Manufacturers of cola drinks add other trace ingredients to the drink in addition to these flavorings in order to create distinctively different tastes for each brand. Trace flavorings may include nutmeg, lavender, and a wide variety of ingredients, but the base flavorings that most people identify with a cola taste remain vanilla and cinnamon. Kola nuts, which have a bitter taste, although giving their name to the product contribute little or no flavor to most cola recipes, as they are rarely actually used as an ingredient. Acidity is often provided by phosphoric acid, sometimes accompanied by citric or other isolated acids.

Having drunk cola from childhood (although it was an infrequent treat as a child), I never really considered what ingredients made that flavor - very interesting reading!

Pages: 1 4 replies