Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Kahuna Kevin's Dr. Drunkenstein!

Pages: 1 5 replies

This'll be in my next book, aka Volume 2 of 'Why Is The Rum Gone'.
Enjoy & please join my Facebook page for updates and one-off recipe posts NOT in any upcoming books...
Mahalo! -KK

http://www.facebook.com/KahunaKevinsRumCocktails

Dr. Drunkenstein

2 oz Appleton 12yr. rum
2 oz POM Pomegranate-Mango juice
1 oz Falernum liqueur
1 oz Gosling's Black Seal dark rum
1 oz (fresh) mango nectar (or Langers as sub.)
1 oz (fresh) pineapple juice (or Dole as sub.)
1 oz Stirring's Key Lime juice
1/2 oz Depaz cane syrup
1 Tsp. Underberg bitters
1/2 Tsp. Jagermesiter
1 dash Angostura bitters
2 pinches ground clove

Shake over ice, pour into tall fluted glass w/ fresh ice. Garnish w/ mint sprigs & a cherry. SLAM & repeat!

And I'll be making another version called The Bride of Drunkenstein, probably a smaller side drink or shooter.

EDIT 02-20-2011
Here's a shot of the 'Dr. Drunkenstein' and the just invented 'The Bride of Drunkenstein' which uses some of the similar ingredients with a totally different flavor twist. They go very well together sipped side by side.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-24 13:42 ]

thanks for posting this!

what could substitute for the underberg? would peychaud's work?

NOPE! Underberg is a potent German bitters with a completely unique flavor. 43 herbs I believe. No substitutions allowed. Underberg bitters are cheap and available at your local BevMo store or Bevmo.com. $5 gets you 3 small bottles per package, I think less than ~1oz per bottle. They're used primarily as an after dinner digestif (as well as Jager), but both make great alternate bitters/mixers.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-02-19 12:26 ]

T

Yeah, nothing could sub for Underberg. Good stuff after a big meal, and potent for bitters. Gives you a warm feeling all over.

I'll have to remember to pick some up.

LoL-- from perusing these threads in general, you west coasters don't seem to realize that Bevmo won't ship alcohol outside of California!

Pages: 1 5 replies