Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Nancy Sinatra

Pages: 1 4 replies

S

Nancy is performing at the HOB's here in July. I think she is rather cool and hep! Has anyone seen her show?

Thanks!

I

I saw Nancy Sinatra perform here in D.C. one week ago, and enjoyed the show very much. Nancy performed for about 75 minutes, with a decent rock and roll backup band - not a Vegas type lounge combo that might have supported her dad.

Her voice was better than I expected it to be, considering she is over 60 and her voice was soft to begin with. The highlight of the show (other than her singing her Boots hit) was when she sang a song while scenes from her movie career were shown on a big screen above. Nice to see fotage of Frank Sr, Sammy Davis Jr, Nancy kissing Elvis (from Speedway), and kissing Peter Fonda (in the pre-Easy Rider biker film 'The Wild Angels')

I especially liked her attitude - she was doing lots of smiling on stage, and was genuinely glad to be performing for the crowd, telling funny stories, etc, etc.

The DC show was helped by the mod stage decor, done by a local retro design store (Good Eye Design) that featured large concentric diamond shapes hanging mobile-like from the ceiling.

Vern

S

Vern,
Thanks for the information! Sounds like a pretty neat show. I plan on getting tickets.

I have seen her (on the tube) at the HOB's in L.A. and for some other event. She looks great.

S

Kahukini,
Did you find the Alpine "too modern"?

The Carousel in the Monteleone or the Sazerac in the Fairmont have such an aura and history about them.

Did you go to any offbeat places that stood out?

I went to the HOB last year to see the B52's. We were waiting to order drinks when we realized that the opening act on stage was Nancy Sinatra! We didn't know she was going to be playing. She was very good, btw.

Pages: 1 4 replies