Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Music

Pages: 1 22 replies

Loving my new hobby (Tiki of course) and it is slowly (actually quickly) moving into all areas of my life. I listen to all types of music, a friend played a Widespread Panic (never heard them before) song called "Blue Indian" had a great polynesian beat to it. At least in my head it did. Anyway now I'm really jonesing for some authentic stuff, any suggestions? Went to used book/record store and asked for some polynesian music, he only could recommend vinyl which aint my thing. Picked up a Brian Eno CD anyway, havn't checked it out yet but always liked his music from what I've heard. But what I'm looking for is more along the lines of what I hear in the background at the Mia Kia during happy hour. Sorry if this topic has been done over and over, I'm new.
Mahalo

M

*I'm really jonesing for some authentic stuff, any suggestions? *

These guys are old-school, mostly playing the Greater Richmond area. From what I have gleaned at their website they are authentic, mostly.

Classic "Tiki" Tunes

Their cover of Loggins & Messina "Your Mama Don't Dance" is superb. Not to mention Garth Brooks' "Two Pina Coladas".

If you're in Richmond catch them at Mulligan's Southside.

midnite

T

Midnight. You Bastard

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-05-24 01:52 ]

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-05-24 01:53 ]

Okee dokee, McDougal... This is gonna be kinda long and drawn out, I'm sure. A bit weird, too, if you've never been into this stuff before. You're probably lucky that most folks is down in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend.
What most of us consider Tiki Music is, generally, of a Non-Rock and Roll genre that has become known, in recent years, as "Exotica." It is a sub-set of the Post-War Big Band Music that has, again, in recent years been absorbed into the "Lounge Music" category. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with this stuff as some of it can be quite interesting and it always seems to help set the mood for a Mai-Tai or a Zombie (as if a mood really needs to be set).
Capitol Records has a great set of CDs out that chronicle the Lounge Music Scene called Ultra-Lounge (www.ultralounge.com). The first of the series of 22 (so far) is entitled Mondo Exotica and is filled with some of the smoothest tunage you'll ever hear as well (as some of the Ultra-Exotic wailing of Yma Sumac). The big guys are Martin Denny and Les Baxter. Get that. Get it Now. Go to Amazon or Half.com or wherever and just go ahead and place the order. If you like it, you'll need more of it. If you don't, you're not really into Tiki as much as you thought you were.

Lounge Music is always acceptable in the Perfect Tiki Environment. The remainder of the Ultra-Lounge set is pretty darned marvelous if you find yourself into that sort fo thing. There are also several more modern combos who have produced the stuff. Most notably (in my opinion): Combustible Edison, Tipsy, Pink Martini and Friends of Dean Martinez (who feature a slide guitar - sometimes pedal steel - as the lead instrument). There have also been several releases, of late, of Techno Remixes of Lounge Tunes (Capitol has two ElectroLounge volumes out and there is even a Remix CD of Tipsy Songs which is quite good). Some of this stuff, though, can be a bit frantic or changed so drastically from the original tune that is doesn't really fit the Lounge Mood anymore.

Then, of course, there is Hawaiian Music. Slack Key guitar is the type that is usually most tasty to the mainlander's palate. Windham Hill has a couple of CDs called the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters Volumes I and II. There is, of course, Ukelele Music and Don Ho (Tiny Bubbles? Who wants to sit back with an Exotic Rum Cocktail and listen to some dude croon about Champagne?) but the Slack Key seems best to me.
Surf Guitar! Gotta Love It! Any good Surf Guitar Band can be listened to while enjoying a well made Tropical Drink. My suggestions would be Los Straitjackets, The Planktones, The Halibuts, Dick Dale, The Ventures, Laika and the Cosmonauts and the Mermen. There are, of course, Hundreds of Others.
This crosses the line into Rock and Roll Territory, so... I suggest just finding what you think fits. I tend to play stuff like Southern Culture on the Skid's "Make Myan a Hawaiian" and The Presidents of the United States' "Tiki God" during my Tiki Related Extravaganzas. Also... Van Halen's "Everybody Wants Some" opens with some tremendous Jungle Noise and can be fit into a Tiki Mix nicely.
I have found that as long as you start out with music that fits the occaision at the beginning, whatever you end up listening to later depends on how you (and everyone else) feels.
Have fun finding your groove!

Guys, don't forget Hanford's guide to Exotica music on Tikiroom.com:

http://www.tikicentral.com/music/savage.htm

I've taken shit from time to time because my Exotica guide is quite basic, but remember, it's a guide to Exotica that is available on CDSo it's easy for beginners to get into. But I don't think Exotica can be called authentic.

Thanks for the plug Pop!

~Hanford

T

If someone gives you shit, tell the music snob to make their own damn webpage!

People just don't appreciate the hard work of others sometimes. And for that, they should be slapped with a mackerel.

On 2003-05-25 05:36, tikifish wrote:
And for that, they should be slapped with a mackerel.

Wouldn't mahi-mahi be more authentic?

-Mug

M
Mambo posted on Mon, May 26, 2003 7:06 AM

McDougall,

Nice to see your in Lauderdale.
How often do you go to the Mai Kai??

Has this been mentioned yet?

http://62.210.133.45/plage.htm

Liked the page haven’t had a chance to listen yet, ’though.

KK

Wow Kawentzmann, that website is amazing. There is so much there. The tiki pad is the coolest. It took me awhile to figure out that this site is for a French group called, Roudoudou. They sound very cool. They reminded me of Tipsy a bit, but even cooler. The only place I could find their music for sale was on Amazon.fr. It looks like they have at least four releases, which I must find. Danke for the link.

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2003-05-26 18:34 ]

Mahalo All!
Exactly the stuff I'm after. My whole night shot following links. Had some trouble with bad internet servive/slow connection. Going to follow through on the music and websites, digging it so far. Lotta info Trader Vic, great stuff! it's going to take some time to look all that over and I look forward to it. Hanford, looks good for a start, for me. Kawentzmann! I'm suffering got such a bad connection That stuff is great! Getting DSL tommorow. Yeah Roudoudou. Mambo, haven't been to Mai Kai in many months, used to go Wensday Happy Hour alot, plan on going alot in future especially for Hukilau.
Aloha, Tim

Lately, I have really enjoyed Combustible Edison's "I, Single". It really goes with the atmosphere of me sitting at my Tiki Bar, sacrificing a Mega Mai Tai. YA BABY!

On 2003-06-23 15:07, Unga Bunga wrote:
Lately, I have really enjoyed Combustible Edison's "I, Single".

Is that the ultimate reverse Freudian slip or is Unga Bunga having a quick pull at our puds? (NB - The Combustible Edison album was 'I, Swinger')

Trader Woody

E

Hey McDougall!

I'd like to add my personal 2 bits on this matter.

I grew up in the early 60s, attended my local Tiki restaurants in the company of my parents many times, sat on the landing in my jammies while the folks threw countless parties, and let me tell ya: the hip young suburbanites in my part of the world listened to a lot of Hawaiian music, but never did I hear more than a song or two of exotica. What they were into BIG time was Latin jazz and bossa nova - in a sense, two genres that are opposite in feel, the Cuban being hot and the Brazilian cool, providing music for every occasion! Check out Perez Prado, Tito Puente, Getz/Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, and Antonio Carlos Jobim to get a good basic collection. The above-mentioned Ultra-Lounge label has good compilations too.

Must empahsize before signing off: this post in NO WAY is meant to denigrate Exotica, which I personally love, just to add another element you might really enjoy.

aloha,
emspace.

I just ordered a few of those Roudoudou CD's from Amazon.fr -- not exactly sure how much it cost me, but thank God the site is similar enough to the .com version that I was able to feel my way through it :wink:

For those so inclined, I've assembled a pretty decent record collection, nearly comprising the entire 'canon' of Exotica. You can see some of the records and hear even more of them at the following links:

http://www.vegasvics.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh

I've been seeking out 'newer' bands, and a fair number are in rotation now; including APE, Lushy, Project:Pimento, Vodkanauts, Tipsy, Bella di Waikiki, Tiki Tiki Bamboooos, Tiki King, and many others (not to mention more established acts like Don Tiki and ComEd). Exotica is alive and well my friends. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Vic

P.S. Special kudos to anyone who can get Cherry Capri to answer my emails!

V

Well I received those Roudoudou CDs from Amazon.fr the other day. The music is very cool, with an etheral, trippy feeling; something like Tipsy meets Ursula 1000 and they play a gig at the Buddha Bar. Not exactly New Exotica, much more in the ambient/downtempo/chillout category. But its still refreshing to see these new acts take the tiki vibe and do thier own thing with it.

Probably a little too out there for most listeners of the Tiki Lounge, but I think it might just find a home on the more progressive Naked City. Enjoy.

Aloha,

Vic

http://www.live365.com/stations/brianeh
http://www.vegasvics.com

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2003-07-04 11:12 ]

E

I wonder...Roudoudou sounds very much as if the people running the label are big fans of "Watership Down"."Hrududu" was rabbit lingo for "car", and would be pronounced/spelled that way in French.

bit of a stretch...?

emspace

I just picked up Petty Booka's "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" which is fabulous listening for any tiki bar. Petty Booka is a ukulele duo from Hawaii ... their cover of "These Boots are Made for Walking" is awesome.

Wowza! Just visited http://www.vegasvics.com for the first time and found it to be quite well done. Nice to see there are others out there who are, like myself, not only Tiki-obsessed but Music Geeks and Font-a-holics as well.

T

Speaking of music.... This must be tiki music

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2542253716&category=307

The song list is kickin' it, YO! Check it aahh 'ite!

As an example it goes from... Come Sail Away, right into Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

What the F! is the Tiki Stomp??

T

The Ketchup Song? Aieeeeee!!!!

Run far, far away from that CD!
Although I do like getting Jiggy with it, it has no place on a 'Tiki' CD.

Don't forget Arthur Lyman.

Pages: 1 22 replies