Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

A little kokua from the TC 'ohana..

Pages: 1 23 replies

Aloha TC Friends:

I know it's been awhile since I've "lurked" these threads, but life's been a little different since we closed the doors on our beloved House of Tiki. However, we move on and we're blessed enough to still see some of our dear friends every so often. The reason I'm posting now is that Wes and I are asking for your help. As many of you know, Wes' son Justin, and my son Bryson are good friends. Both have worked at House of Tiki and some of you know them and have watched them grow into fine young men.

Justin and Bryson have a very dear buddy, one of their tightknit circle of friends. His name is Jeff. Jeff, like Justin, I call my son from another mother. These boys do everything together; school, surf, have a jamming garage band that's pretty damn awesome. Anyway, our world turned upside-down last year when Jeff was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 19. Specifically, RMS (Rhabdomyosarcoma), a rare form of cancer that effects the soft tissue and known to effect children more than adults. We thought they caught it early and we had great hopes for his full recovery. Jeff kept positive, had surgery, received chemo and radiation rounds through the past year, his friends always close by his side. Unfortunately, last month, we got the news we had hoped not to hear. Time is now very precious. The boys realize that they have to make every minute count.

Since we got the news, we have created what Wes and I are calling the "Sky's the Limit" list. Kinda like a bucket list, but we like the positive twist on ours better. The point is with the financial hardship all of Jeff's medical expenses have created for his parents, there isn't much moola left to do the life-affirming things that the guys want to do for Jeff. One of his wishes is to skydive and zipline, hopefully over Spring Break, while Jeff is still feeling strong, and hopefully in Hawai'i.

Here's where you come in. Wes has very generously agreed to donate everything left from House of Tiki toward a garage sale to benefit "The Sky's the Limit". Honestly, it isn't much, but there's a few things; some tiki bar signs, some lotions, soaps, perfumes, some CDs, a few mugs, etc. Friends and neighbors have donated all of their knick knacks, unwanteds, and typical garage sale items. One man's junk is another kid's zipline adventure. Capish? We'll also have a bake sale, and we'll do whatever it takes to sell you a brownie or two! So, if you folks have anything you want to donate to the cause, whether it's stuff you'd put out to the curb OR it's a tiki mug (or two) or a piece of art (or two). If you think it would bring a buck (or two), we'd be very grateful to include it.

We're doing this big event on Saturday, March 5th at 3085 Yukon Avenue in Costa Mesa. If you have a minute, come on by. If you have something you'd like to donate to the cause, drop me a line. More than anything, our (Wes', mine, and our boys) heartfelt mahalo. We know that the TC 'ohana are full of aloha and generous beyond measure, and we thank you in advance for even just spreading the news of the event. Any questions, please contact me at tikishop at sbcglobal dot net, and again, I send you the thanks of a mother for her boys.

One last thing; Jeff and his parents don't know anything about this event. He's a really awesome young man who would say; "Oh, someone probably needs help more than I do.." And he wouldn't want to burden anyone. So, we're doing this on the downlow and we'd like to surprise him with the proceeds once all is said and done so that they won't feel bad. Again, thanks for your help and for humoring me through this long message. I hope we see some of you on Saturday if nothing more than to catch up!

Much aloha and malama pono, Pua (from House of Tiki)

MR

This is one of the saddest/coolest/inspiring things I've ever read. I will do my best to make it up for this. Best of luck to you. Great idea... great idea.

T

What time?

Hope you can make it Matt. :)

TikiSan...around 8ish until we sell everything we can!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 10:22 AM

GROG hope to make it down there this weekend. This a great cause. Sorry to hear the bad news.

This is a great thing you are doing,
I feel bad for the guy.

got plans in the day,
but gonna try to make it down early,
and have some grub down that way while down there.

Jeff(btd)

Hi Pua,

Lance and I have some things to donate for the Garage Sale. We will arrange with you to drop them off before Saturday.
I lost my Mom to cancer 3 years ago this week. She had a short bucket list, but we managed to cross off most of her requests, including seeing Lance and I get married. It's all about family and friends - and making those memories while you still have the chance. What a nice thing for you guys to do, and a very worthy cause indeed!

Nancy (JG)

Pua hope to see GROG too. :)

Jeff..Mahalo. Our Jeff wouldn't want you to feel bad for him. He'd just remind you to enjoy every sunrise, every sunset, every wave Mama Ocean grants, and to make sure people you love know you love them! Hope you can make it down. :)

Lovely Nancy, I knew I could count on you and Lance. You guys are da bomb. Major Mahalos. You know how much I love ya, but I can't wait to hug you in person!

Mahalos to Pua and her Ohana and to all those who contribute, show up and browse, shop, talk story, and especially just send some good mana Jeffs way. He is the coolest and most humble kid I think I've ever met. The tears that have flowed over the news of his unfortunate (and unfair!) condition have been constant and far reaching. Yet he is blessed with the love and support of his parents and his friends. I know Bryson alone has been there with him night and day through good times and bad, through laughter and long heavy talks. Jeff is a smart, soulful, funny, artistically talented young lad whom mere words cannot describe.
I know times are tough for many and money is tight but if you can show up and bring a few things to donate or spend a little "kala" it will be greatly appreciated!
A hui ho! Wes

MB

Mrs. Boo is stealing anything left from the Bamboo Ben retail shop and turning it over for Jeff. It's a beautiful movement Pua and the gang are cooking up and my heart goes out to all the families.
Sincere Aloha your way.

My sincere and most loving aloha to Mrs. Boo and Bamboo Ben. You've always been "my people" and I send you such love from afar. Thank you for helping us. I have no words to thank you for your kindness. Vicki, you're awesome. Respect. And a nice, cold Bud! It's on me! Well, we'll make Wes pay! HA!

Pua

Pua,

We look forward to seeing you and Charlie and the whole gang on Saturday. Can't wait to hug you too!

bump

Just a quick note to remind everyone about our "Sky's The Limit" Garage Sale tomorrow. Also, my heartfelt mahalo to everyone who has donated their time, talent, and treasures. I honestly don't have the words to express my gratitude. You've melted my heart. I hope to see you Saturday to thank you in person.

Malama Pono, Pua

MB

Wow, stopped by today and 3085 Yukon Street is busting at the seams with merchandise! Will be worth stopping by, people. If you are in and around the Costa Mesa area, check it out!
Much love and Aloha, Pua. Good luck tomorrow.

We stopped by to drop off items after Mrs. Bamboo, and she is right - they could barely get the garage closed! It's going to be a good one. :)

H

The weather's good and lots of free parking, also freeway close...Hurry !!

Exhausted, but feel like we're on the top of the world! Friends and family have been so amazing. Bringing loads and loads of donations. Helping us tag, price, haul, set up, bringing lunch for the crew, helping us clean up and break down, traveling from as far away as San Diego and Los Angeles to help us out. We raised almost $2,700 at our "Sky's The Limit" Benefit Garage Sale. More than we hoped for. This will not only cover airfare, it will cover the zipline adventure AND skydiving as well. THREE wishes off the wish list because you guys were AWESOME!!! We are SO grateful! Thank you to everyone who brought stuff and shared their talents. Thank you AtomicTikiPunk and Jungle Ginger, Bamboo Ben and Mrs. Boo, Hottiki, and everyone else who came out, donated stuff, and helped us make these wishes a reality for someone who really deserves it. Thank you to Shakatiki Wes for giving up what was left of House of Tiki toward "the cause" and CRANKING day in and day out all week long. Thank you to his lovely Christie for busting okole for three days and through six truckloads of stuff. I don't even know how to express my thanks. From the bottom of this grateful mom's heart...Mahalo NUI! You guys ROCK! THIS is what true Aloha Spirit and the REAL beauty of 'ohana is all about.

Much LOVE and gratitude, Pua

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2011-03-05 18:06 ]

MB

ALOHA!!!!!!!!!!

Lance says, “If you look up Ohana in the dictionary, you’ll see a picture of Pua, Charlie, Wes and their kids – they are the real deal.”

They are truly special people and we feel lucky to count them as friends.

Mahalo for your kindness, and congratulations on a successful fundraiser. :)

UPDATE:

I promised back in March when I came and asked for the TC 'Ohana's help that I would give you an update regarding the "Sky's The Limit" project. With the funds raised at the garage sale and other events after, we were able to arrange a top of the line helicopter tour over Maui, a Paraglyding flight, a round of golf on a beautiful Maui coast course, 4WD Jeep rental for the week so that they could drive the Hana Road, and scooter rental for a day around West Maui. We were on top of the world with excitement!

Unfortunately, a few days before the boys' were to leave the week before last, Jeff took ill and had to be hospitalized and we were worried that he wouldn't be able to go on the trip. Happily, the powers that be smiled upon him and he got out of the hospital mere hours before the flight. The only thing that he wasn't able to participate in was the paraglyding...he just didn't have the strength this time around. However, everything else went off without a hitch. I can't remember when I've seen he and his friends smile so much. His parents kept shaking their heads and telling me how grateful they were and how they couldn't believe so many people were so willing to help. I kept telling them that's how 'ohana works...that's true aloha.

I want to thank Atomic Tiki Punk (Lance) and his beautiful Jungle Ginger (Nancy), the amazing Shakatiki (Wes) who literally donated EVERYTHING that was left from House of Tiki (and I mean EVERYTHING), HotTiki, Rev and Mrs. Boo, and everyone who turned out to help us. I wish you could have all been there to see Jeff's smile when that helicopter took off. You have no idea how it lifted the spirits of everyone who has watched this beautiful young man struggle with unending courage for the last two years. I am humbled and grateful for the memories you helped them make. Mahalo will never be enough. But I think the pictures will help. Malama Pono everyone. And thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Pua
All four boys at Blue Hawaiian Helicopters

Jeff getting strapped in

Bryson and Jeff flying over Haleakala

Taking off for another day of adventure in their Jeep

Scootering around Lahaina

At Honolua Bay

Enjoying their last day on Ka'anapali Beach

Wow, now this is the kind of post I like to see here
It is a really great thing you did for your friend
and I hope the best for him and all of you who helped out!

CTiT

Mahalo Chuck!

Very Cool!
Thanks for posting.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 23 replies