Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

appreciate thoughts on Irish tiki drink I created last night

Pages: 1 4 replies

(didnt want this to get buried in existing St. Patrick's Day thread- let me know if I should delete and move)

Derived from the Test Pilot (and the B-52), i came up with this during an impulse of delight:

:drink:the KILTARTAN PILOT (or, an Irish airman foresees deserting to the Pacific)

3/4 oz. Irish whiskey (I recommend Powers gold, it's more bracing than Jameson)
1 oz. gold/amber Puerto Rican rum (used Ron de Barrilito, has notes of whiskey/cognac)
1/2 oz. Cruzan Black Strap or other dark rum
1/2 oz. Bailey's or other Irish cream
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. falernum
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
1/2 oz. Kahlua (or other coffee liquor)
1 dash Angostura bitters
2 dashes Pernod or Herbsaint

Blend with 8 oz. of ice for 5 seconds, pour into tall glass, garnish with green maraschino cocktail cherry.

--the Bailey's and irish whiskey flavors all come through and, perhaps counter-intuitively, play well with the notes of rum, lime, clove, licorice, citrus, and coffee, blended together into a tiki/pre-Saint Patty's Day concoction that my customer (wife) thoroughly enjoyed.

Mabuhay!

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-03-05 10:51 ]

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-03-05 10:52 ]

P

Seems a rather odd mish-mosh of things that you wouldn't think would go together. That doesn't mean that they don't work together, I would just have my doubts until I tasted the result.

I had my doubts until I tasted it too! (and more importantly, had the wife taste it).

The Bailey's surprisingly really comes through, so those who don't like Irish cream may decide they don't like the drink; although, as is often the case with multi-ingredient drinks, somebody may not immediately realize the presence of the Bailey's flavor if they havent been told the ingredients.

anyway, i hope somebody has the chance to try it out.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-03-05 13:12 ]

T

I'll jot this down... There's a bartender I know locally who seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of mixing, a sort of internal calculator of what goes with what in what ways, and is willing to try just about any recipe I bring him (he's mixed me some killer tiki stuff to recipes I brought). I could take this to him and see what he thinks.

kewl. let me know.

Pages: 1 4 replies