Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Building shelves

Pages: 1 7 replies

E
ebtiki posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2011 8:47 AM

I'm looking for help/suggestions for finishing shelves that I've built for my mug collection.
The problem: How do I keep mugs (or other items, for that matter) from sticking to finished shelves?
Thanks!

H

Why would things be sticking to the shelves? If the finish is applied properly and allowed to fully dry, the surface will not be sticky.

T

Eric,

As already stated, just let it completely dry. Depending on what you use, (paint, stain or lacquer), how thick you coat the shelves and the environment, it should be dry to handle within 24 hours. I have never had a mug stick using that for a guideline. I live in California so drying times will be different in New York. When in doubt, read the directions on the can.

Make sure you post pictures of your shelves when completed. I expect to see those Bumatays from the Purple Orchid on the top shelf.

H

Funny you should ask this question. I had my shelves painted and I let it dry for a long time. I put all the mugs in there and they did stick to the shelves. I didn't mind it as much because in case of earthquake this should help the mugs from braking. I am able to move the mugs around easily. but every time I put a new mug on the shelves it sticks to it. Go figure, it might be the kind of paint they used. I live in L.A.

E

Thanks, everyone!
I have problems with both painted (semi-gloss latex) and varnished (oil-based) shelves. I don't think it's drying time - for example, the varnished shelved are 20+ years old, and books still stick to them.
I'm considering experimenting with flat-finished paint or polyurethane.

Your place doesn't have a swamp cooler does it, by any chance?
We used to have the same problem in our first apartment. The humidity from the swamp cooler would make the paint on the shelves sticky.

The problem is that you are using substances to finish them that sit on TOP of the wood and always retain a degree of softness to them. Over time, any object that settles into the soft material will definately stick. Now, if you use Stain and Beeswax, two substances that soak INTO the wood, you'll never have that problem, and your shelves will look a heckuvalot more natural, and thusly, more TIKI.
Hope That Helps! :)

One word: Felt.

Pages: 1 7 replies