Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

La Mariana gone by tsunami??

Pages: 1 13 replies

Aloha all! Just listening to news from Hawai'i on the damages from the tsunami caused by the 8.9 earthquake off Japan. KHNL television in Honolulu reports the tsunami wave "wiped out" La Mariana and the marina. Can anyone confirm?

My best wishes to all Hawaiian ohana to keep safe and out of danger. Please let us know you are well.

Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2011-03-11 08:17 ]

M

Found one article that says extensive damage to boats and the piers at La Mariana, but nothing about the restaurant. I saw that same guy on tv - hope he was wrong and over exaggerating, as many of those news reporters do...

Hawaii Teams Evaluate Tsunami Damage
"At La Mariana pier area in Keehi Lagoon, about 150 boats were damaged. The tsunami surge tossed boats tied to the piers."

Tsunami damage reported at Keehi Small Boat Harbor
"There were no reports of injuries however the surges caused extensive damage to piers and boats at Keehi Small Boat Harbor near Sand Island."

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-03-11 09:12 ]

Crap! I just heard that on KIPO 89.3FM

I hope it's not true

M

Aloha,

Check article on http://www.staradvertiser.com to read the article....it is still fairly early in Hawaii, so reports are preliminary. But Keehi Lagoon and several other harbors did get large waves.

M

Looks like damage was just to the docks and boats. Here's an article with comments from Rachel at La Mariana

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/117805008.html

Reporter on tv is a jackass!!

Whoops, was simultaneously posting the same link as above.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-03-11 10:15 ]

On 2011-03-11 10:07, Mo-Eye wrote:
Looks like damage was just to the docks and boats. Here's an article with comments from Rachel at La Mariana

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/117805008.html

Reporter on tv is a jackass!!

MAHALO for that update, Mo-eye!! One reporter keeps focusing on the docks, but the other isn't letting up on the idea that the bar / restaurant is gone. My mind is relieved by your posting! Yeah!

M

They're doing the same thing for Maui - Just saw the weather guy on CNN say that water hit the second floor of Cheeseburger in Paradise on the waterfront in Lahaina, but can't find anything to back that up. Advertiser says possible report that water may have gone over Front street there at a level of 5-8 inches.

This is why I don't watch the news!!

A

Glad to read that news of La Mariana's demise has been greatly exaggerated!

Maybe a change in the subject title is in order, to avoid a "tsunami" of heart arrhythmia spreading across the shores of people seeing this thread? Something like...

La Mariana NOT gone by tsunami

The costly damages to the dock are still bad news though, and hope that doesn't spell a more prolonged disaster for the wonderful La Mariana.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj 2011-03-11 11:11 ]

C

My wife and I went to La Mariana last night and found it in perfect condition. The docks are a bit messed up closer to the ocean but plenty of boats and beautiful scenery left to enjoy! They are open for business, piano player doing his thing and all is good. Maybe the bad press initially will be good for business in the long run.

J

Wow not even a hint of acknowledgment to the thousands of suffering Japanese affected by that same Tsunami ??

I'm glad we have our priorities in order here on TC, and that we can now all sleep soundly knowing our favorite Hawaiian Tiki bar is still standing.

It's all good. I remember after 9/11, my first thought was "I hope Otto's Shrunken Head is OK".

(Update - And yes I now realize Otto's didn't exist back then, I have my chronology off by a year or so. I think you get the point...)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-12 15:19 ]

John-O, I think EVERYONE here is aware of this tragedy - how could they not be - but

a.) most folks probably did not know how to tastefully post a reference to it in the same breath than reporting about some Tiki bar, and

b.) this web site IS after all a place to escape from the horrors of such realities.

It might seem thoughtless and cold in retrospect, but I am sure it was not omitted out of ignorance.

J

Point taken. Sorry, I'm extra judgmental on Saturdays...

Pages: 1 13 replies