Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic's Royal Amber Rum-what style of rum is it

Pages: 1 4 replies

I recently bought a bottle of Trader Vic's Royal Amber Rum, but I can not tell what style of rum it is. It says on the label it was bottled in the Virgin Islands. However is it more like a Jamacian rum or a Martinque rum or a blend of both? If I want to use this to make an old style Trader Vic's Mai Tai, do I use this with Appleton Estate, Lemon Heart, Saint James (the last 2 are hard to find in Arkansas)or another rum, and if so what brand?

I did agoogle search, got this old chowhound cache thread, dude claiming to be TV bartender says it's a blend of jamaican and martinique...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qTqvsmIn6sYJ:chowhound.chow.com/topics/503772+Trader+Vic%27s+Royal+Amber+Rum&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

looking around here a bit, some old posts question the claims that royal amber is a blend, and suggest that its just Cruzan.

I don't know for sure,
but I doubt it's made by Cruzan,
I have heard that it is made by Bacardi,
and to me, it tastes like it.

Jeff(btd)

I havent even seen it in any stores here- just the gold, silver, dark and spiced. I guess everything BUT the grand amber.

Pages: 1 4 replies