Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hau’oli Kauwahi....V2.0

Pages: 1 15 replies

So I have been lurking here about a year gathering ideas and tips and tricks. So here it is my first attempt at a true tiki bar....Keep in mind I am only renting.
Starting on my frame

Test fitting the Tres Moai

I cut 24 inch pvc pipe to use as a back for the tikis

3rd attempt to get the Lauhala Matting to stay with out ripples I finally used gel contact cement.

Torching some boo

Here it is with the roof started it is finished enough for the first party surprise party for my Ladys best friend

and some other random shots of the patio

added some bamboo trim to the fence....I think it looks awesome still need to do some rope work
and finish going the rest of the way around the patio

So what do yall think?
oops for got Puff daddy.....that's what my little girl called him
(Crappy cell phone pic)

Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels..... Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: BigDaddy772 2011-03-22 17:43 ]

[ Edited by: BigDaddy772 2012-01-27 13:51 ]

I think it looks great.

What do you think about trying to throw light from behind the tikis in the PVC? :)

Cheers,
Erik the Red

On 2011-03-21 18:00, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I think it looks great.

What do you think about trying to throw light from behind the tikis in the PVC? :)

Cheers,
Erik the Red

Hey Erik thanks for looking and thanks for the killer Mug. Thinking about that still not sure on what color to use. There is blue rope lights under the edge of the bar that does not show up in any pics, I am trying to find some brighter ones.

K

looking good BigDaddy,

great work on the bar, and the fact that you could move it if need be really appeals.

the bamboo trim on the fence looks fantastic, and as the garden grows will look even better.

i also like the way the lanterns are suspended from their short booms.

cheers...bob

Well done!

All the elements... including party people having a good time! Nice!

M

I like it.Can't wait to see what you do with something you own.

You would like it better if it had casters! lol

Ditch the plastic cups bro!

Welcome to TC neighbor to my south!

Mahalo

McTiki

Great look going, wish I had thought of the bamboo on top of the fence look when I did my fence!! Welcome to the gang

Here is a pic of the cut outs where the tikis sit.
I finished off the back side of the bar and didn't wire for lights any ideas?

F

you're off to a great start! gotta take advantage of your climate and all that space! the trim on the fence really makes the difference. and great way to hang those floats!

the 3 tikis would probably look best lit from the front. backlighting might just make silhouettes. an idea would be to double the width of the trim around the bar to conceal the hardware, add a red rope light behind the trim to give an even lighting surrounding the bar. you can never have too much red lighting. Then get the little white halogen bulbs that can be linked together (used under cabinets typically) and wire them to a dimmer switch behind the bar. use 3 of them to spotlight the 3 tikis, and maybe a couple others on focal points if you have them. with a dimmer you could adjust the lights however you like them. just put the lights close inside the bar so you're not just lighting up your friends thighs on the barstools.

just saying, y'know. thats one idea...

Thanks for all the kind words it really makes all the hard work worth it.
and McTIKI I was scared to let all the heathens at the party loose with my mug collection. HAHA

Since your bar is outside I would use rope lights to frame the slits. Remove the bamboo frame and use 2 or 3 inch bamboo... and have it come over the opening of the slits about half way. That way you won't be able to see the rope lights but you'll have a killer glow on the tikis. Drill a hole at the bottom of each bamboo frame to the back side of your bar and run the rope light to the next slit. That way you will be adding some light to the shelving if you need it. You can pick up white and multi colored lights at any home store. But you can get various colors online or on Ebay fairly cheep. Keep posting pix of whatever you decide to do! Great looking bar my man!

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

So we had a water leak in the old house huge mess black mold BLA BLA BLA!!!! Found a bigger place for less$$
more money for Tiki

Starting on the ceiling in the new rental.

Getting some reed up

Used a couple spare sections from our slider door blinds to break it up

and now for some Shamboo trim Thank you Charlotte pipe 3 bucks per 10 foot

Still got a lot to do but its good enough for the first party!!!

Looks awesome bigdaddy. The best part of it is to see all those people having a great time. Congrats!

M

Nice relo!

We are in Merritt Island if you need any help.

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 15 replies