Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

buying palm tree wood for carving

Pages: 1 10 replies

I want to carve some palm tree wood for tikis and have no idea where to buy/find the wood. Any help out in Tiki Land?

M

Welcome to TC David.

talk to your local tree guys and see if they have any ideas. The local landfills are full of tree trunks and stuff to carve on.

Good luck

Mahalo

Mctiki

P

Hey man, there are plenty of other types of wood that carve better than palm.

I'd contact these guys, who are there in your state, and talk to them about what kinds of trees are there that are indigenous to your area and are suitable for carving, and then, as mentioned previously, go hit the landfills & tree services and hopefully score some for free!

Utah Woodcarvers Club
1221 So. 1120th South, Club President Susan Hendrix 801.471.0758 [email protected] Meets 2nd Thur 6-8:30 pm

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2011-03-22 08:09 ]

On 2011-03-22 08:09, pjc5150 wrote:
Hey man, there are plenty of other types of wood that carve better than palm.

+1

P

You know, now you've got me thinking that I need to figure out some other local trees HERE that are suitable for carving. Been using palm since I started 2 yrs ago.

Hmmm. Aloha? You have some input on this?

M

I highly rcommend the local yellow pine!

runs

Mahalo

McTiki

P

really? where are you finding it?

N

McTiki, is yellow pine the pine trees that are EVERYWHERE down here?

Yellow pine is great for chainsaw carving - not chisel carving. The wood is full of sap and can become exrtremely hard. In the Tampa area I would suggest; Live Oak(not other species), Camphor, Pecan, Cypress, Cedar.

P

^ Thanks for the info Aloha! ^ Now I just need to figure out how to identify them!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!

Pages: 1 10 replies