Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls with The Knitters!! @ The Coachhouse May 14th, 2011

Pages: 1 38 replies

The Hula Girls return to The Coach House with the legendary country band that started the alt country scene, The Knitters! Made up of John Doe, Exene, and DJ from X, Dave Alvin from The Blasters, and Johnny Ray Bartel from The Red Devils, The Knitters are the punk rock side of country!

My longtime friend in music, Michael Ubaldini, will also be playing the show with his new band, The Lonesome Playboys featuring the amazing steel guitar of Gary Brandin (who also recorded on the Hula Girls' "Curse of the Tiki".

Don't miss out on this show! Tickets are $23 at the door and only $18 from The Hula Girls. That's $5 off!

Get your tickets now!
http://thehulagirls.bigcartel.com/product/the-hula-girls-with-the-knitters-at-the-coach-house-on-sat-may-14th-2011

Glad to hear that the Coach House is still rockin!
Have a great gig.

Knitter please!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Mar 25, 2011 8:01 AM

Spike, Domenic
Say hi to DJ Bonebrake. I, m getting his band to play at Tiki Oasis 11. Let him know he should spend the weekend.

I'll be hanging out with him for sure! My buddy is X's manager... I'll totally let him know the deal with Oasis, and that he should stay! Nice booking, Otto!

The new poster... The artwork is HEAVILY influenced by the matchbook artwork from the legendary LA country bar, The Palamino!

TM

Great artwork as usual, Mr. Spike!

TM

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-01 18:09 ]

TM

TM

Go see the Hula Girls or get your head chopped off!

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"you're not the king of dirk. I am the king of Dirk".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-05 21:14 ]

That is super weird.

TM

nah....THIS is weird! two tickets to Floston Paradise!

I am like the less talented version of Grog!

Lucas,
lay off the spiked cool aid.

Jeff(btd)

TM

"I don't hear you, unless you knock, Curtis!"

On 2011-05-09 15:57, lucas vigor wrote:
"I don't hear you, unless you knock, Curtis!"

Lay off the weed too Spicoli.
and they say long hairs are pot heads.
sheeeesh!

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-05-09 16:14 ]

Looking forward to seeing you guys and catching up with old friends. It's going to be a great show!

On 2011-05-05 21:44, lucas vigor wrote:

Leeloo Dallas! MultiPass!

Just got my Ticket to the show, see you all in Capistrano.

Great, Chuck! See you there!

On 2011-05-13 01:01, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

On 2011-05-05 21:44, lucas vigor wrote:

Leeloo Dallas! MultiPass!

Yep, "multipass!"

Have a great gig!!!

You's deserve it the most!!

Thanks Ben, by the way, it's probably better that you arent coming. We don't need you winging any ashtrays at the stage! Haha!

What a great show... I'm really looking forward to this. Good job guys & see you tonight!

On 2011-05-14 13:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
Thanks Ben, by the way, it's probably better that you arent coming. We don't need you winging any ashtrays at the stage! Haha!

I quit smoking so no ash trays anywhere....lol!!

( and aged a bit 31 yrs wow :wink:

see you next weekend!

Have a good show guys, and girls.

I need to sit this one out and save up a few bucks for the upcoming Tiki Caliente weekend.

Rock the house tonight,

see ya soon,
Jeff(btd)

On my way!

Just returned from the show, Great night!
The Hula Girls are so much fun to see & The Knitters are just awesome

Met a great group from TC, Brent (CalTiki) from the Ding Dong Devils, it was great to hang with you
Daves not Home and his wonderful wife Kim, had me in stitches, The beautiful Stacey(HappyChi)a wild one!
Jason & Danielle (a very cool couple), Lance & Nancy (Atomic Tiki Punk and his beautiful wife Jungle Ginger) I found out that Lance's Great Aunt is "Rose Maddox"! whom I am in awe of!

It was very Nice to meet Matt (Spike) & Dinah from the Hula Girls what a great band
and what a great group of wonderful people.

Thanks, Chuck, it was great meeting you too!
What an AMAZING show! The Knitters were so good! And we actually received really well by the mostly country music loving crowd! Great seeing a bunch of other tiki buddies at the show too! Holden, Jason and Danielle, Lance and Nancy, Stacy and Brent, among others.

My favorite part of the night was when Exene walked into our dressing room and was like, 'I'm gonna smoke some weed in here'. Anyone else and I woulda told them to beat it...but Exene?? Pretty legendary night...

TM

I thought the Hula Girls did a great job! True, the audience was not exactly a "tiki" crowd, so for most of them, this was a unique sound/look they were hearing and seeing! But they loved it, and the place was totally packed! We got a lot of good comments from the other bands as well! Like Spike says, it's really cool to hang out with people whose names you have known from since you were a kid! (well, X are actually about the same age as me anyway.

C

Great show guys! And I loved the new Hank Thompson cover (Whoa Sailor!), which fits into the Hula Girls theme (sailors in a polynesian bar) and also segued nicely with the Knitters (especially since they did their own Hank Thompson cover).

Can't wait to play with you guys at Tiki Caliete--and I won't have to wait long because it's this Friday!

Caltiki Brent

http://www.facebook.com/dingdongdevils

• Luckydesigns wrote:*

My favorite part of the night was when Exene walked into our dressing room and was like, 'I'm gonna smoke some weed in here'. Anyone else and I woulda told them to beat it...but Exene?? Pretty legendary night...

lol! Just be glad I wasn't there earlier with her! Bummed I missed your set, but from the looks of how sweaty you guys were, looked like it was a good one!

My favorite part of the night: There was a full on White-Trash-Mom-Fight outside by the band load-in doors.

TM

On 2011-05-17 07:28, Dartin Menny wrote:

• Luckydesigns wrote:*

lol! Just be glad I wasn't there earlier with her! Bummed I missed your set, but from the looks of how sweaty you guys were, looked like it was a good one!

My favorite part of the night: There was a full on White-Trash-Mom-Fight outside by the band load-in doors.

Dang! And I missed it? I so enjoy a good WTM fight!

And PS, the most sweaty one was Spike, right? (I never sweat) :)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-17 07:34 ]

J

hahahaha i saw that fight too when i left...

I wonder if that white trash mom was the same chick that came out to Christian after the show and kept telling him how amazing he was on 'the big bass'. I was waiting for her to ask him to get into our dressing room. Ha!

And yeah, I sweat like a bastard up there. I'm working for it!

TM

Aw man, first Dr. Z, now Christian! These boyz aren't having a very good year so far!

C

On 2011-05-17 09:26, Luckydesigns wrote:
I wonder if that white trash mom was the same chick that came out to Christian after the show and kept telling him how amazing he was on 'the big bass'. I was waiting for her to ask him to get into our dressing room. Ha!

And yeah, I sweat like a bastard up there. I'm working for it!

Dang, I must've left before that happened! But it reminds me of when I saw Les Paul in New York 3-4 years ago, and his female upright bass player sang a jazz/blues song called "I Like Big Instruments." Maybe the white trash moms were fighting for the right to carry his big instrument to the car for him (along with his amp and other gear of course).

Caltiki Brent

What about the Hula Girls at Tiki Caliente?

Hell yeah! Friday night at 8:00!! We're looking forward to it!

Pages: 1 38 replies