Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wayback Machine to 1950's Coco Palms, Kauai, Maui and Hawaii

Pages: 1 8 replies

For those of you who enjoy taking the "Wayback Machine" to 1950's Hawaii, this will be of interest to you. It is a 20 minute promotional movie made by Aloha Airlines in the 1950's. They visit the Coco Palms in Kauai, two other hotels on Maui and the Big Island, and document entertainment at those hotels and at an elementary school on Maui at Christmas time. Check out the patented Aloha Airlines camera window as they fly past Waikiki in Donn Beach's heyday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAGFcteW3E

While this also isn't Tiki I think it will be of interest to some of you as I didn't find it previously posted:

Here is one more YouTube clip that is a high resolution slide show of 1950's Hawaii. It is beautifully done and includes a slide of what I believe to be Donn Beach's first Waikiki restaurant as well as a slide of Waikiki beach showing the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink Palace) situated on otherwise undeveloped Waikiki beachfront.

Sip on a Mai Tai or Zombie, fire up the slide show and enjoy!

That's a great shot of Don's, thanks for posting the link.

DC

This video is even more historic because that's actually Duke Kahanamoku that took care of him one afternoon and they are putting a giant lei on the plane at the end of the video because it is the inaugural flight of the United Hawaii Dreamliner that they took back to the mainland. Take a good look at the grandma in the Don the Beachcomber picture. She is hobbling into Don's using a walker. I hope I can do that when I'm 85!

M

This is one of my most favorite yt vids, it covers so much ground if you're very familiar with Hawaii and the places depicted. Sadly, this is a special place and time that mostly exists only in these vids and fading memories now. I was greatly taken by the airport shot of the local steeler/musicians serenading the travlers @ 3:45 and contacted the actual kid in the shots and he E'd the pic to me, what a guy!

I can't believe Kauai's Coco Palms has not been renovated, given its Ocean front location.
Incredible photos:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29331&forum=2&hilite=coco%20palms

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the pictures at the beginning on the Matson ocean liner. Matson was the primary transport for tourists to visit Hawaii before air travel. The pictures are so clear and colorful that I feel like I'm a passenger on that journey 61 years ago. I believe Matson also owned The Royal Hawaiian and Mona hotels, the only big ones on Waikiki Beach at the time.

On 2011-05-09 13:45, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the pictures at the beginning on the Matson ocean liner. Matson was the primary transport for tourists to visit Hawaii before air travel. The pictures are so clear and colorful that I feel like I'm a passenger on that journey 61 years ago. I believe Matson also owned The Royal Hawaiian and Mona hotels, the only big ones on Waikiki Beach at the time.

That must be why the Royal Hawaiian has displayed the original art works from the Matson collection.

Pages: 1 8 replies