Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Don't post on any topic unless Fez is in the word

Pages: 1 9 replies

This may seem ridiculous, but perhaps given all of the Fez related topics, we should now have a separate area just for Fez discussion.

it's not 4/1/11 yet.....

S

On 2011-03-28 18:20, telescopes wrote:
This may seem ridiculous, but perhaps given all of the Fez related topics, we should now have a separate area just for Fez discussion.

Not that ridiculous actually now that you bring it up.

Considering there is about 8 threads on the topic, and I could/should post this in everyone of them, now that i'm here I may as well say it here and now.

Living in Australia i'm not sure if we ever had or still might have, shriners. If we did have them in a similiar sort of era as in the U.S. it was before I was born. Although I probably would have seen images of them at some stage, besides the cover of the Dead Kennedys album "Frankenchrist", when I was about 12-13, I only really became exposed to them with some sort of regularity when I became immersed in Tiki and the Kustom Kulture scenes. I've always thought them to be quirky and a strange type of hat/headwear, but liked them for that very reason.

I only purchased one recently from Fez-O-Rama when we had 'Fez'bruary party here in our only Tiki bar in Melbourne. It was actually a great night with about 30 people there, of which maybe 20 wore a Fez. I'm pretty sure we'll do it again next year and I look forward to wearing my Fez again, although between now and then, it will most likely stay on display next to my Tiki mugs. There is only one place I could wear it ( a Kustom Kulture art gallery) where although I might get a few strange looks, people wouldn't care and i'm sure some would love it. If I wore it out on a night on the town, i'm sure it would get stolen or i'd be beaten up by some drunks.

Whether or not Fezzes actually truly belong in Tiki culture, doesn't interest me. I like them, as I like hotrods, and burlesque, and monster art AND Tiki and will wear mine proudly with an Aloha shirt and not care what anybody else thinks.

Ugh....I think it might be time for me to get banned from TC.

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2011-03-28 20:22 ]

On 2011-03-28 18:20, telescopes wrote:

Whether or not Fezzes actually truly belong in Tiki culture, doesn't interest me. I like them, as I like hotrods, and burlesque, and monster art AND Tiki and will wear mine proudly with an Aloha shirt and not care what anybody else thinks.

Hear ! Hear!
Do traditional fezzes belong in Tiki Culture? I say NO. Do I care if anyone wears a Fez at a Tiki event? No.
There is nothing TIKI about traditional fezzes that I find. But there are so many other accepted parts of the tiki scene that either aren't tiki or barely tiki that I enjoy and have no problem with. As long as it doesn't take away from tiki! Make sense??
Plus, if you put a tiki on a fez, it now is part of tiki culture! Shall we move on?

S

We can move on after you acknowledge that I wrote that, not telescopes. :D

mrsmiley in 2012!!! :D

Why drinkers and fez wearers should NEVER mingle!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3lnJ0uvbSK8

I concur! (with a fez topic epicenter, not with being leary of fez wearers while drinking)

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2011-04-01 00:04 ]

TT

All this fez crap should be moved to bilge... Unless it has a tiki on it, it has nothing to do with it and I wish whomever has hijacked this site with this crap would stop. The fez has as much relevance as say wooden clog shoes.. they would also belong in beyond tiki/bilge. Enough.

Pages: 1 9 replies