Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tomodachi Japan relief auction artwork from Dennis Mathewson

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hawaii artist, Dennis Mathewson, teams up with Pictures Plus and Chromaco to help produce an auction off an original work of art to help raise money for the American Red Cross Japan disaster relief fund. The painting is entitled "Tomodachi" which, in English, translates into friend or friends. It depicts two tikis – one tiki (representing Hawaii) sharing a sprouting coconut with the other tiki (representing Japan). The painting symbolizes the friendship between Hawaii and Japan, and the Kokua extended to Japan in the wake of the tsunami.
Go here for more info on the auction http://www.picturesplus.com/helpjapan/ Or here http://cosmicairbrush.blogspot.com/
100% of proceeds go to the American Red Cross Japan Disaster Relief Fund Check out eBay for prints and the original auction Ends Sunday, April 3
I hope it helps with my warmest Aloha Dennis

Nice Dennis,
Love the sprouting coconut trees. Tomodachi is in the air.

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-04-02 17:45 ]

Z

That is absolutely beautiful.

I'm happy to say the auction turned out great and has now ended. We only have a few matted prints left at local Hawaii DM locations
After selling the original artwork, 40 limited canvas prints and 11"x14" paper matted prints we manage to raise over $16,000.00 with 100% of the proceeds going to the American Red Cross Japan relief fund. I know this will go to the folks in Japan who really need our help.
The power of Tiki art has done a good thing.
Hawaii has a personal attachment and friendship with Japan, socially, economically, Culturally even ethnically with so many local Japanese living in Hawaii.
Thanks to everyone who help support this effort.

Dennis, always great to see your art here again. Love the origami crane and the geta shoes to symolize the Japanese tiki. That raised a tidy some of money for a very worthy cause.

Pages: 1 4 replies