Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Surf Dudes in So Cal.

Pages: 1 11 replies

I'd like to either rent a surfboard or buy one in fair conditon for my son (12 yrs. old). Any tips where I could get one and use it down there?

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-05-27 21:53 ]

Jungletrader,

First off, get you son a longboard whether he wants one or not. A 5' rocker chip may be what the kids his age ride, but they've probably been doing it for a while.

With a longboard he'll be up and surfing the first day. I've seen many a short board sit in the corner of a garage like a prop (just like all the guitars people buy).

I've got a couple of longboards I may want to sell. They're 9' which means if he bails on surfing, you can ride it!

Bong, 9 ft. board for a kid that only weighs 82 lbs? hmmm, will that work? Maybe I could strap some velcro on the board and his feet, HA! btw, I sent you a P.M. bruddah.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-05-28 20:29 ]

Bongo, stop being such a surf dick.
9ft. board?
Why don't they just get one of those old windsurfer learning boards and the whole beach can ride together.
Jungle-boy a lot of local surf shops will rent soft top boards. Bong is right about a little longer board to start and build a positive attitude, but 90 feet.
Try calling a few
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?Pyt=Typ&city=Huntington+Beach&state=CA&country=us&msa=5945&slt=33.660130&sln=-117.998840&cs=4&tab=B2C&stx=Surf+board&stp=a&desc=Surf+board&doprox=1&sorttype=distance&beyond=1&stat=ClkByndLower

Thanks for the info Bax, Bong.

Baxdog,

Hey, I got a 9' board you can ride big boy!

Do they have those huge foam beginners boards out in the US? If so, rent one for a couple of days. They look like shit, but the kid will be upright on day one, progress on day two, and feel like a million dollars when he progresses to a real board on day three.

Trader Woody

I was starting to think about learning, but that 9' had better be thick for me.
I think I am more of a 10' nose rider kinda guy.
Wood Dog most of the new soft tops look really good, I wish I could afford one!
OK,for now I will just have to SURF
The Internet
O_U_T_S_I_D_E_!!!

It may not be the "cool" board amongst his 12 year old freinds but a 7 foot egg should really get him started quick. A 7 foot tri fin with decent rails should give him plenty of flotation to paddle quickly, catch more waves, and still be short and light enough to turn relatively easily. A 9 foot board is way too much for a 12 year old. The only real drawback of a larger board for a kid is that should he ever have the desire to duck dive under the waves, he will not be heavy enough to get the board under the water.

After he learns and gets proficient you might need to change the board. When he complains that he can't smash the lip of the wave the way he wants to or cant duck dive then you keep the 7 foot egg for yourself and get him a 5'-7" short board.

Been surfing since I was 6 and started on my Dad's 9 footer and I would not recommend that to any kid.

Monkeyman

Monkey Man (et al),

Lucky D (spike) keeps talking about a Tiki Central Surf Party at San O this Summer. We could set up camp, play beach blanket bingo with Baxdog, and kill Moon Doggie!

P.S. the only reason I said 9', was because I'm trying to off a couple - 9' Chuck Dent, and a 9' Rockin' Fig. Shhhhh...

Ready to step up to a custom? The former lead guitar player of The Bomboras and bass player of The Maikai Gents is now shaping some totally bitchin' boards. Check 'em out at: http://www.huntcustoms.com/

Hang loose and hang ten!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

Hey Bong, I'll be down the 2nd Saturday of August to check out that 9 footer you were talkin' about. JT

Pages: 1 11 replies