Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Koko mix??

Pages: 1 5 replies

H

Been following the thread below on the Moon Islander in Titusville, FL. TikiTomD was very kind in posting scans of drink recipes on some file cards from there. I'm thinking of trying some of them out, but one ingredient listed is "KoKo mix". I've never heard of this, not sure if it's a brand name or a generic name for coconut cream. I did a quick search via tikicentral and google and didn't come up with anything.

Any ideas?? The pina colada recipe uses it, so I'm thinking that cream of coconut might be a good sub if it's something else.

Thanks,
howlinowl

Edit: thread below.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26860&forum=1&start=15

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2011-04-04 08:36 ]

Yeah, when we made some drinks from it over the weekend, I just assumed it was cream of coconut. Had some from Goya that I used. Tasted great so never really worried too much about it.

T

Gentlemen,

I believe you have it right on using cream of coconut... as a long shot, I asked Carol (the former Moon Islander bartender) about this, but it was too long ago for her to recall with any certainty.

There are quite a number of commercial cream of coconut brands out there, but my own personal favorite is Coco Lopez. One that I tried in a pinch some time ago, but did not care for was Coco Real.

-Tom

A

Since the Moon Islander used Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix in its mai tai, perhaps they were also using Trader Vic's Ko Ko Kreme

http://www.tradervicsgourmet.com/product/40/Syrups

T

arriano, your logic is compelling... the "Ko Ko" in the drink name suggests it as well.

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2011-04-04 13:03 ]

H

Thanks, all for the replies. The Traders Ko Ko Kreme is probably what it was. I can just imagine it sitting with the other mixers and just being referred to as the "Ko Ko mix". Looks like I'll have to order it, as I've never seen any TV mixers locally.

howlinowl

Pages: 1 5 replies