Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Native Polynesian and Micronesian Hoochery?

Pages: 1 5 replies

C

Did a couple of searches but didn't find anything much on the topic. Is anyone aware of a native spirit or fermented wonder from the islands themselves? Something a little on the different side, but still available in the US?

MN

Occasionally guys bring fermented noni back to the mainland. That's the only availability I've heard of. And that boat is far and few between.

Capheind, interestingly, noni is in the coffee family. :)

L
Lente posted on Sun, Apr 10, 2011 4:57 AM

I have a recipe laying around for a fermented pineapple thing, but it's Mexican if I recall correctly.

C

Did they just not do much drinking on the islands pre-european-contact? Or is it like Pulque where their stuff just doesn't ship well?

Pre-contact Polynesians did not know alcohol. They did use some botanical intoxicants, such as kava, but never seemed to figure out fermenting stuff to make alcohol.

W

Here on beautiful, exotic Guahan (Guam, USA) they make and sell their own local brand of Guam Rum. Though like every other island food marked 'Guam (item name)' it's probably really made the Philippines or Hawaii.

"I could be a professional writer if I put my mind to it. A bitter, angry hack that starts fistfights at cocktail parties- I could do that job."
-Daria Morgendorffer

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2011-04-30 02:54 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies