Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

is the Painkiller just Pina Colada with nutmeg?

Pages: 1 24 replies

I don't mean to stab at the very heart of tikidom, but how exactly is the Painkiller (manly sounding drink) different from a Pina Colada (which is for the ladies)?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 10, 2011 11:38 AM

GROG think you answered your own question. A man can't come into a bar and order a Pina Colada, that's a girl drink. But if he orders a nice manly sounding drink like a Pain Killer.....

A

Similar, but not exact. Painkiller has the same ingredients as a pina colada but adds orange juice and cinnamon besides the nutmeg. Plus it uses two kinds of rum, neither the light rum that is in a pina colada.

PAINKILLER
4 oz Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lopez Coconut Cream
1 oz Gold Virgin Islands Rum
1 oz Barbados Rum
1 pinch Powdered Cinnamon
1 pinch Ground Nutmeg

PINA COLADA
1.5 oz white rum
1.5 oz cream of coconut
4.5 oz pineapple juice

The Pain Killer has not suffered the horrible slurpy-machine premixed indignity that Piña Colada has.

When was the last time you ever heard "Woooo!!!! Gonna get me some Pain Killer and get my dance on!" in reference to plans for Friday night?

A Painkiller made with Pusser's Navy Rum tastes nothing like a Pina Colada.

I don't know the recipe that Arriano posted, I know the one with Pusser's rum, which, as mentioned, tastes nothing like Pina Colada. Pusser's has a very distinct woody flavor that will cut through many drinks.
The only shame is that they stopped importing the 95.5 proof to the US.

Ran

D
dcman posted on Mon, Apr 11, 2011 6:34 AM

The Painkiller is decidedly more than a Pina Colada, with its own backstory and history.

It was originally invented at the Soggy Dollar Bar somewhere around the early 1970's. Charles Tobias, who eventually bought the rights to blend and distribute Pussers rum, trademarked his version of the recipe and to this day Pussers rum and the Painkiller are associated with one another. I've done some reasearch on the Painkiller and despite Charles' claim to the recipe, I believe the original recipe that he attempted to reverse engineer is still used at the Soggy Dollar Bar and is still as yet unknown to the public. You can read more about the Soggy Dollar Bar here.

http://www.soggydollar.com/

And about Pussers Rum here, including mroe about the history of the Painkiller.

http://www.pussers.com/

dcman

On 2011-04-10 12:29, MrBaliHai wrote:
A Painkiller made with Pusser's Navy Rum tastes nothing like a Pina Colada.

+1

Also, you can load a Painkiller with Pusser's and no one will be the wiser...until later. A drink that truly lives up to it's name.

A

On 2011-04-10 13:11, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I don't know the recipe that Arriano posted, I know the one with Pusser's rum, which, as mentioned, tastes nothing like Pina Colada.

If I'm remembering my drink history correctly, the Painkiller recipe I posted is the original. The Soggy Dollar Bar used Mount Gay and Cruzan. Pusser's became the official rum of the cocktail later.

S

Pusser's Pain Killer
2 - 4 oz Pusser's® dark rum
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz cream of coconut
1 oz orange juice

Pina Colada
1 1/2 oz light rum
2 oz Coco Lopez® cream of coconut
2 oz pineapple juice

Way different. First and foremost are the ratios. The PC is 1/3 coconut cream! The PK is 1/8th or even less. Secondly we have light rum vs dark rum. Everyone on TC is likely drinking 90% of their rum drinks with a dark rum base. And it is also likely that the only reason the PK is in our lexicon is because of the Pusser's connection. Not exactly a TIki drink really.

a Painkiller will cure any pain you have.
a Pina Collada will give you a headache.

Pussers!!
use the red label for a real treat.

Jeff(btd)

My friend Lili made Painkiller ice cream last night. She had to boil down about 2/3rds of a bottle, so it may have been the most expensive batch of ice cream ever. Here's a photo and a link to the recipe:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lilita/5633008750/in/photostream/

okay, i finally procured my first bottle of Pusser's Navy rum, and I have pertinent follow-up points:

1. Pusser's has a very familiar aroma. Tastes like a junior Myers's, imo, but more testing in this regard will have to be conducted.

2. Coco Lopez. I mean, am i the only one who keeps planning to grab a spoon and consume a whole can of that tasty sweet shiznit raw?

3. Ok, grated some fresh nutmeg a la the recommendation of every junior cocktilian snob everywhere. yeah yeah, zesty, but too chunky. There's something to be said for the 'corporate' artisans who provide us with pre-grated nutmeg.

4. Finally, I recognize and concede even that the Pusser's does add a taste profile that differs substantially from a run-of-the-mill pina colada. Rougher, eve nscotchier as advertised, definitely different. I prefer it, too.

I need to remember to try to order a Painkiller at a bar sometime.

Can most bartenders make one of those, or am I limited to tiki bars? Anyone have any feedback?

Dave

This may just come from living in Florida, but without 100% faith in the bar and bartender, one of the scariest things I can think of doing is to order a tiki drink at a bar. After seeing all the different ways people have managed to mangle something simple like a margarita or a manhattan, the thought of what they would do to a Painkiller is downright frightening.

now that it's the next day, i'm wondering if the pina coloada would actually taste the same as the painkiller if you made the pina colada with Pusser's.

On 2011-04-19 10:19, thePorpoise wrote:
now that it's the next day, i'm wondering if the pina coloada would actually taste the same as the painkiller if you made the pina colada with Pusser's.

Maybe similar but not the same. A pina colada does not have orange juice or nutmeg and the ratios of everything else are quite different.

M

Be careful what you go around calling a Painkiller, you might get sued...

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/pussers-rum-sues-mixologists-over-painkiller-name-130702

I'm tellin ya, they should just change their bar's name to NYC Nutmeg Pina Colada...

wait a second, Pusser's doesn't even specifically include its own rum as part of its trademarked definition of what comprises a Painkiller?!

from the USPTO:

"Alcoholic fruit drinks with fruit juices and cream of coconut and coconut juice. "

the Goombay Smash is another drink that can be thrown in with the Pain Killer and the Pina Colada in the coconut-pineapple drinks profile.

had no OJ, no pineapple juice, and no Coco Lopez.

so used Cruzan Coconut rum, and a blend of grapefruit and mango juices instead. used 1 oz Gosling's Black Seal, 2 oz Pusser's, topped with cinnamon and grated nutmeg.

sweet, tart, spicy, and a rum punch to the mouth. reminded of many a girlfriend from my youth. a tasty drink!

but is it a painkiller's cousin, or a planter's punch's nephew??

A

On 2012-05-06 13:40, thePorpoise wrote:

but is it a painkiller's cousin, or a planter's punch's nephew??

Plant Killer

"Sweet, tart, spicy, and a rum punch to the mouth. Reminded me of many a girlfriend from my youth" :lol:

[ Edited by: reptarlazer 2012-12-12 03:06 ]

Pages: 1 24 replies