Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Finkdaddy's custom ukuleles

Pages: 1 18 replies

Aloha everyone!
I'm just showin' off my latest creation, my first hand-crafted ukulele.
It's a tenor scale uke with a black walnut body, mahogany neck, and babinga fretboard and bridge.
The inlay is pua shell and herringbone patterned wood.
It is fitted with an interior transducer pickup and Gibson tuning pegs.

I finally fitted it with strings today (Worth browns) and got it tuned up.
The string action is amazing. It has a very light touch and plays like butter.
I may switch the strings to a thicker set to bring out some of the low end, but overall I'm very happy with it.

The next one I will make out of Hawaiian Koa and I may try some inlay in the fret board too.

If anyone is interested in purchacing a custom uke from me, just let me know. I'm in the process of equiping my shop to be able to make instruments too.
Thanks for looking!

Visit the The Leeward Lounge

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2011-04-11 04:46 ]

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2011-04-12 15:06 ]

P

That is one sweet uke. Keep up the good work and keep posting as well. Koa sounds good, I have a mango uke and it sounds really nice, and smells like Mango as well....

Aloha!!

Paul

Fantastic!

B

VERY Nice Finky, Perfect looking work.

Thank you guys! It was definately a labor of love. I've never had so much fun making something before. God willing, there will many more in my future.

Fink! That is SWEET! Cool grain on the walnut, it has that light line going down it, like a stringer on a surfboard. Super nice work with the Pau too.
I recommend using a wound string for the "c" string, to get a little more low end.
I'm a tenor guy too, but I just bought a little soprano when I was out in Hawaii, and LOVED it.
I may be interested in one of your creations one day.
Keep postin' em!

Holy Katz, it's my friend Finkdaddy, and now he's building
musical instruments. Great job, nice to see you again, I wish
I could hear it and have a cocktail with you :)

Thanks surfintiki!
This has been so much fun, I'm already working on another one. I will try new strings on this particular uke to deepen the tone as much as I can, but I know the answer is to bring down the thickness of the sound board as much as possible.
I'm very happy with this one because it was my test uke. I went into the project not quite knowing if it was going to work out and it turned out sweet. I learned so much on the fly and gained enough experience and confidence that I'm sure the next one will kick some ukulele ass, as will each additional one that I do.
Thanks for the support, and please, keep in touch!

~Fred

Pretty! I like the "wave" on the headstock. Nice job!

I am not very musically inclined to know all the various parts, but the inlays?? (are they) around the sound hole look great. What are they made of?

On 2011-04-14 18:32, Grand Poobah wrote:
I am not very musically inclined to know all the various parts, but the inlays?? (are they) around the sound hole look great. What are they made of?

Thank you GP.
The inlay on both the soundboard and the fretboard are Paua Abalone shell. The ring around the sound hole came in small sections that had to be fitted together.

A lovely, superlicious uke, indeed! What are the chances that you can post a video/audio clip so we can hear how it plays?

A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika.
-- Dorothy Parker

[ Edited by: Carmine Verandah 2011-04-15 10:49 ]

On 2011-04-15 10:48, Carmine Verandah wrote:
A lovely, superlicious uke, indeed! What are the chances that you can post a video/audio clip so we can hear how it plays?

A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika.
-- Dorothy Parker

[ Edited by: Carmine Verandah 2011-04-15 10:49 ]

Thank you! I will be working on a short recording this weekend, so I will have something up very, very soon. :)

You ARE going to bring it to OHANA in June right? I want to stand in line to play that beauty!!!

And I agree that the wave design headstock is amazing!!!!

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2011-04-15 11:45 ]

On 2011-04-15 11:45, The Granite Tiki wrote:
You ARE going to bring it to OHANA in June right? I want to stand in line to play that beauty!!!

And I agree that the wave design headstock is amazing!!!!

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2011-04-15 11:45 ]

:cry:I can't go to Ohana this year :cry:
There is someone who I think is buying one, and he should have it there, I would think.
Thanks for the kind words though!

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! Damnit! I was looking forward to jamming with you!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 16, 2011 2:29 AM

Looks great man. The detail in that headstock is awesome. But we need a vid of you playing to appreciate the sound!

I thought I would have more time for recording this weekend, but somehow all my alone time got eaten up with house projects.
So I put together a few quick videos so you could see the uke in action. Unfortunately, all I had to record with was my little HP point-and-shoot camera, so the sound is quite a bit thinner than it really is. But you should get the idea.
Also, if anyone is interested in the uke in the video, just shoot me a pm and we'll chat.
Thanks again for all of your support!

Untitled

Beggar's Farm

Keep Your Eyes on the Hands

T

Great work on the uke. I like the paua inlay. NIIIICE. Good vids too. :)

Pages: 1 18 replies