Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ebay Check out this lonely Tiki...

Pages: 1 14 replies

testing one two three testing.... if this does not work, please check out item number 3226161599 on ebay. This Tiki is lonely and needs a good home... He has been hand painted. I will list more in the future.. every Tiki will be one of a kind and unique. This auction will end on June 2, 2003 at 12:30 pm PST.

[ Edited by: MonkeyPaw on 2003-05-28 14:39 ]

[ Edited by: monkeypaw on 2003-06-03 00:43 ]

[ Edited by: monkeypaw on 2003-06-03 00:46 ]

My head is going to simply POP and the insides are going to ooze out like molten lava!

I like my SPAM fried extra crispy on a side of rice and eggs.

Spam?? I got these instructions from the Tiki Central site...

COLLECTING TIKI GUIDELINES
If you're posting an announcement for an eBay auction, we ask you do the following:

Post in the Collecting Tiki forum only.
Include "eBay:" in the beginning of the subject line.
Include a link to the auction and the date the auction will be over.
Don't just copy the eBay text; tell us why we'd be interested in it.
After the auction is over, please delete the topic (do this by clicking edit on the first posting and then click the "delete this post" checkbox) unless you feel the replies/comments to it are worth keeping around.

MonkeyPaw,
I'm glad you read the FAQ before posting your solicitation however, it just doesn't sit well with a lot of folks here when someone's first post is basically, "Hey, look at what I'm selling..."

I can't speak for everyone, but it is my opinion that the integrity of this board suffers when people open a Profile specifically to sell us something. At least that's the way it appears when a new members first post is a solicitation.

We are a group of un-like minded individuals with the common appreciation for Tiki and Polynesian Pop. Unfortunately, this makes us a great "target group" to SPAM Tiki, Polynesian and Hawaiian wares to. Believe me, it happens all the time. And as such, annoys a lot of us.

Just some basic (unwritten) etiquette.

BTW - A few of us have poured some of those masks in the past. You can check them out here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3789&forum=1&15

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-28 14:48 ]

Thank you for your reply & explaination. I myself appreciate Tiki & Polynesian Pop. Before I signed up I have always used this forum for a wealth of information and contacts. I am dissapointed that "ebay" or "Look at what Im selling.." posts would sour the members of this post. Im simply networking. I always find sources for my favorite Tiki themed items on this forum. Without this forum, I sure would have a hard time finding things I like. If you don't like my craft because it's not "original" or "it's been done" then don't look at it.. pass on by. It's dissapointing when people with your same intrests belittle you. At any rate ... I guess you have to take the good with the bad..
Thank you

MonkeyPaw~

Here are a few examples of what tends to be frowned upon....can you guess the common denominator in them?

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

....and most recently,
Example 5, but who's counting...

I present these, not to chastise, but to explain my (our) reaction to your post.

I hope that you will be a long-term contributing member of Tiki Central. We are still waiting for that "one exception to the rule", and maybe you'll be the one!?

Aloha & Mahalo.

MonkeyPaw an exception to the rule???
I certainly hope so! I even took the time to follow forum instructions and posted in the correct topic recommended by the forum. If that doesn't say respect...I do see your point.. That would be irritating to read some of those posts. However I will from time to time add a link to my ebay auctions, following forum guidelines...I hope you don't mind..
Thank you!

On 2003-05-28 15:37, MonkeyPaw wrote:
MonkeyPaw an exception to the rule???
I certainly hope so!

Sounds good to me! I'm glad you understand where we're coming from. I can tell you're not just a traveling salesman (we get enough around here!) - it shows by your efforts in keeping with the House Rules as well as your concern over our reactions.

Welcome to Tiki Central. :)

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-28 15:47 ]

M

RE: *We are a group of un-like minded individuals with the common appreciation for Tiki and Polynesian Pop. *

Who said my mind is unliked, huh? I take agression to the explication my mind is not enjoyed, the implicity is without merit. It's an outrage, and not to be appropriated. Further, the reflection upon my image is not kindly, at leat to my personage.

And, by the way, speak for yourself about Polynesian Pop. Specifically with import in that referendum.

My mind is without substitution or reproachement, and I have the community college transcripts to ellucidate as such, and so forth.

midnite

Like Gecko once said when we were all dog piling on some new member "ah FU and Aloha all on the same thread". (I still crack up when I think about it!)

P.S. Man it seems this 'Bong' thing is really catching on.

We are a group of un-like minded individuals with the common appreciation for Tiki and Polynesian Pop.

Wise minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.

Man it seems this 'Bong' thing is really catching on.

Yeah, it's a total Gateway Bong.

DZ

"Sugar Caddy Daddy - always armed and ready to defend TikiCental against unwarranted spamming and folks who don't use the 'search' function!"

Damn, SCD-- what do you do? Keep a mental log of EVERY post, so you can access them at a moments notice and add 'em as a link in another thread?

With an amazing skill like this, how come YOU aren't a TikiCentral Special Agent??

Oh... After making so many myself, if I see another one of those damn cast-plaster Ku's, I'm gonna barf! (Especially one for sale that's not even painted as well as my 5th graders' masks!)

Yeah, yeah... I'll post pix soon...

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-05-28 17:22 ]

Monkeypaw,

First off, thanks for reading (and abiding by) the rules. A lot of regulars here don't even put "ebay" at the beginning of their posts :wink:

Secondly, although the house rules are "general rules", no rules (posted or otherwise) can affect people's true feelings. I could put "Bigotry is welcomed here" in the rules but people would still flame the hell out of anyone who would post racist remarks. Ultimately, the majority rules here.

That said, there's 1000 regsitered members here and 1000 more lurkers (people who never post). We've heard from a select few so far, so you're doing quite well.

Polypop does have a point in that "networking" is more than just advertising. It's introducing yourself, asking questions, answering questions. It seems like you're on the right track ...

~Hanford

Pages: 1 14 replies