Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carved my first tiki...

Pages: 1 5 replies

B

Hi everyone !

First off I'd just like to say thanks to all that have contributed here, you are my inspiration ! I really enjoy seeing everyone's work and there is some incredible talent here !

...so a couple of months ago my neighbor cut down a Mexican fan palm, which was the catalyst to me finally getting off my butt and carving my first tiki... I'm busy with a million other things but have spent a few hours here and there working on it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a freshman effort, learned a lot and am looking forward to starting on tiki #2 !

To carve this guy I used a set of five Craftsman wood chisels (1 1/4" down to 1/4") and a urethane hammer, and a dremel for most of the small detail. I wanted to try for something non-standard and a little different, hence the droopy eyelids and big smile with no open mouth.

Tiki #1 was dedicated to my cat that just passed away after 16 years - Bub - he was one of a kind and I sure do miss him. The detail on the tiki going around above the eyes says "RIP BUB 2 18 11".

...so without further ado, here are some tiki pics :

Mahalo nui loa for looking, and for your feedback and ideas !
Rob

Nice job. there are a lot of details in your carve

N

cool first tiki!

unfortunately this new hobby is going to take priority over the million other things you have to do :)

happy carving!

T

Great way to incorporate the letters into the design. Good job.

P

nice start bro.

go DEEP!!!!

Greetings friend! Your tiki kind of has a cartoon character look to it that is very cool. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your time.
TODD

Pages: 1 5 replies