Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Our house (and tiki collection) featured on Apartment Therapy

Pages: 1 17 replies

M

Congrats!

where is the tiki?

there are a couple tiki mugs in there,
but kinda shy on the tiki side of things.

And, Hey Ben,
Lots O white walls huh?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

M

We admittedly didn't go full on with a tiki bar vibe, but we incorporated a lot of tiki elements with our more eclectic decor, which is evident if you take the full 50 picture home tour (they could have used a lot less photos for our little house in my opinion). There are of course our mugs on the shelves in the guest bedroom (they are also interspersed throughout the house), but we also have 3 Witco pieces hanging on the walls (my favorite are the two pieces in the hallway that were formerly railing posts in an Orange County restaurant supposedly), a Woodcarver piece in the hallway, a Ken Pleasant piece in the living room next to an Oceanic Arts war club (our larger Oceanic Arts Tiki in the living room is only barely visible in the bottom left of picture 9). We have a few menus hanging on the walls, with my favorite being the Ale Ale Kai menu above our liquor cabinet (which was used for the cover of Sven's Tiki Modern book). The guest bedroom has grasscloth wallpaper, our tiki mug collection, a Shag print, a Pub Tiki print, and a couple smaller Oceanic Arts carvings on the wall. Unfortunately the pictures of our side yard don't really capture any of the tikis there. In picture 44 you can barely make out one tiki hidden in our ficus trees and a few glass floats on the fence. I guess I'm getting defensive, but the tiki is there if you use the eye of an urban archeologist. My next house will hopefully have a room I can use for a real deal tiki bar, and if so, you will be the first person I call, Ben.

T

Nice house Matt. Sometimes a minimal splash of Tiki has a bigger effect. Leans more towards "Tiki Modern". I dig it.

Hey Matt, you are facing a tough crowd here on TC. :D It looks like apartment therapy snapped a bunch of general photos, but did not exactly "feature" the Tiki elements...maybe a "bad taste" fear factor? Let's just say it would look different if I would have shot it. I think it takes guts to hang some veiny Witco such as this....

...in an otherwise "normal" environment. And below I see a Witco mask, an O.A. shield and the cool Witco painted mask (one of my favorites) in the hallway:

Too bad we cannot see "The Woodcarver" piece, I think that guy is funny.
So did we meet before, Matt? It seems we are neighbors, I live on top of the hill above the Red Lion restaurant. My 1st wife was a costume/fashion designer, too. :)

Nice! My non-tiki friends all like Apartment Therapy so maybe this will help sway them...

M

Interestingly enough, the painted mask in our hallway that you pointed out has a printed "The Woodcarver" signature on the front bottom right corner, so perhaps he knocked it off from Witco. I see that there is no such mark in your picture in the Tiki Modern book. That is one of my favorite pieces as well. The Witco mask on the wall in the living room is also a Ken Pleasant reproduction. I don't believe that we have met yet, but I expect that we will bump into each other sometime seeing as we do live right down the street from you!

Just forwarded the link to my wife: "Honey, this is how I want to decorate our new house."

Bravo!
-Trad'r Bill

Matt,

I wish my wife would let me to tastefully decorative our house with tiki as you have accomplished. White/off white walls in a tiki bar may not be acceptable to most but in your house accompanied with your fine collection, it's beautiful. Going to show it to my wife, I love it, Well done.

On 2011-04-14 11:12, mattesq wrote:
I don't believe that we have met yet, but I expect that we will bump into each other sometime seeing as we do live right down the street from you!

How about going for a beer at the Red Lion at the next Heino performance.
Nobody ever wants to go with me, and Mr. Smiley lives in Vegas. :(

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-14 12:28 ]

Oh, by the way, Ben did the bamboo bar at the Cha Cha Lounge right across the way from the Red Lion :)

I see the tiki/s now that y'all pointed it out.

Sleek pad!

goodness, i haven't heard mention of Heino since German class back in Hoch Schule.

Beautiful space.

We have witco pics stacked on the floor because of the lack of wall space so I think the more modern vibe with tiki touches really works.

Some may say its not as cool as if you were living in your parent's basement but I don't think they would feature such things in Apartment Therapy so hooray for sleek and modern!

Thanks for sharing :wink:

J

I like it. A nice minimalist take on Tiki. Subdued Jungle Room. I love all the dark Tiki bars members here build and hope to build my own. But having my entire house like that would be a tough sell. Yours is a very cool compromise.

On 2011-04-14 12:03, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-04-14 11:12, mattesq wrote:
I don't believe that we have met yet, but I expect that we will bump into each other sometime seeing as we do live right down the street from you!

How about going for a beer at the Red Lion at the next Heino performance.
Nobody ever wants to go with me, and Mr. Smiley lives in Vegas. :(

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-14 12:28 ]

Oh dear God..HEINO!
When I was a wee bratling in the late 80s, I spent a summer in Germany. After a concert in Essen, I was almost beaten by german punkers who saw me taking down a Heino poster at the venue. I had to explain that the Dead Kennedys had played his music to rile up the crowd, and I wanted it to hang up next to my DK poster. I didn't get curb-stomped, but they surely must have had some strange ideas about American suburban punks after that night.

If I ever hit town,"jetzt singen wir mit Heino".

Pages: 1 17 replies