Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Attaching Bamboo slats

Pages: 1 9 replies

P

I have a load of bamboo slats I am putting up in my business to surround the current slat wall displays. Anyone have any ideas as to the best way to attach to wall?
thanks!!!

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2011 1:34 PM

I put up furring strips around the room and then attached my bamboo slats with wood screws to the furring strips and hid the screws with horizontal bamboo trim top and bottom.

You can see the complete build progress photos here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32747&forum=20&hilite=waikiki%20womb

P

Murph

great idea, i am trying to use mine as a border only, so maybe smaller screws and cover in wood putty?

thanks

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 13, 2011 1:52 PM

I attached the horizontal bamboo trim with finishing nails and slightly countersunk them and used a dab of wood putty to cover the nail heads. It has held really well and the nail heads are almost invisible.
You could even make a tighter bond by using some wood glue along the back of the strips before you nail them up.

Murph

[ Edited by: Murph 2011-04-13 13:54 ]

I put mine up with woodscrews then simply covered the heads with a few pieces of rope. You can check out what the end result was in THE LAVA LOUNGE link.

Suicide Tiki

P

Thanks for the ideas!!
The rope idea I think may be the key, Murph and Suicide..your rooms look awesome!! I have 2500 sq. foot of retail to play , little by little....if I could only drink rum at work..well hmmmm...

pedalon!!!

P

The start of it all.....Elviki Cruizin....

Great work by Sam Gambino

A

We stained our bamboo slats dark and used black wood screws. And since they're in our dark bar, we didn't even bother covering the screws, and IMHO they look fine.

Well keep posting updates as you make progress. Hell, I burn a piece of bamboo and I want to tell everyone here on TC about it! :)

Pals,
Suicide Tiki

P

I will do.....as soon as season slows down,,,work shall begin..or shouls I say continue on

pedalon

Pages: 1 9 replies