Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

who has dared to drink Lemon Hart 151 straight?

Pages: 1 25 replies

It tastes like ... burning

On 2011-04-14 22:10, thePorpoise wrote:
It tastes like ... burning

I'm not surprised...:) I've only used it as a mixer. I figure that much alcohol content would pretty much render it unsuitable as a sipping rum.

Sip it! It's an experience!

if getting a sore throat is an experience, then yes :D

(p.s. guilty as charged. i've drunk bacardi 151 straight too, just to see what it was like. you would have thought i had learned my lesson)

Does it makes your cheeks crumple like melting cellophane?

you mean, like, on purpose?

Does someone offering you to taste their drink, not telling you it has a float, and you take a big swig off the top of the drink thereby getting most of the floater qualify for your question?

C

Once.

Only once.

Someone offered me a flask - thought they had pulled the bottle of Lemon Hart 80 & mistakenly grabbed the 151 to fill their flask with.

Just that little red triangle differentiating the two....is WAY too easy to do - have made that mistake at the store & brought home more 151 than planned.

Again, as mistake made only once.

P

I learned years ago, secondhand, that one shouldn't do so when my dorm roommate put some in his mouth and lit it on fire whilst spitting it out. Firebreathing 151. I decided at that point that 151 was a mixer.

On 2011-04-15 07:53, Potato. wrote:
I learned years ago, secondhand, that one shouldn't do so when my dorm roommate put some in his mouth and lit it on fire whilst spitting it out. Firebreathing 151. I decided at that point that 151 was a mixer.

ok, i need more details on this... did he burn himself? or anything?

S

My tasting.

I have sipped them all. How else are you going to mix properly? Yes, I sipped Bacardi 151. But here is a tip: Sip and swirl and spit! It is the swallowing that hurts!

Spit out LH 151? As hard as it was to find? Blasphemy! haha

I have only had it straight by sipping from the glass with it as a float.

My college 151 experience also involved Bacardi 151. I was playing blackjack with my roommate; the loser of each hand had to drink a flaming shot of 151. No sipping, no spitting, light it and down it.

I don't think we played too many hands. I had to lie down. I think it was about 6 pm. I was supposed to go to the midnight movie. I didn't make it. I haven't drunk 151 straight since and I don't really want to. :D

Swanky, have you had the Cruzan 151? it's amber, very smooth actually.

also, I've seen, but haven't sampled, a Gosling's dark 151...

Tried the El Dorado 151 straight once when I visited LiesureMaster in NYC. Not a pleasant experience as the ED 151 is distilled clear and any smokey sweet goodness seems to be removed. Also tried the Cruzan 151 which was not as terrible but not a sipper by a long shot.

P

Nobody burned themselves. They just spit it out like a normal firebreather. I did not try it, though. Mostly because I wanted to keep my face and didn't want to risk it.

A

Well, since the topic says "drink" I guess my answer is no. But I've sipped the LH151 and actually kinda enjoyed it straight. The thing about it is that it has A LOT of flavor, unlike a lot of clear overproofs that smell, taste, and burn like gasoline or rubbing alcohol.

Not to say I've sipped gasoline, but I did have to siphon the gas out of my car last week (don't ask).

There's a whole bunch of "boutique" blender labels (Silver Seal, Samaroli, Moon Imports, Bristol Spirits, Cadenhead's, etc.) that sell higher proof demerara rums. Most are hard to get and expensive because they're aged in Europe from barrels shipped over after being distilled in Guyana. They're often in the 100-130 proof range, and often from just one particular still among those that ended up under Demerara Distillers (Enmore, Port Morant, Versailles, etc.). The blog "A Mountain of Crushed Ice" has a great series of posts about demerara rums in general, the El Dorado demeraras, and some of these boutique demerara releases - part 1 and part 2. I've tried a few of them, and it seems like there's a common family tree with LH151. But out of the overproof or "full proof" demeraras I've tried, I like the Lemon Hart best.

If you're VERY careful sipping it in tiny little puckered dribbles, you can enjoy it neat, with that very rich flavor. With the high proof and a tiny sip, it feels to me like a lot of it evaporates on my tongue before swallowing, and then just that little bit left over goes down not as harsh as expected. But then there's a little rush of warmth after the swallow. Stroh 80 (160 proof) has a similar combination of very rich flavor with the high proof, but it's a different flavor from the demeraras.

-Randy

I don't understand the complaints. It's VERY smooth rum for 151! Very sippable IMO.

Okay, I decided to give it a try. I took very tiny sips and held it in my mouth to let the burning subside before I swallowed. It was...interesting. The flavor was like burning woodchips that'd been extinguished in rubbing alcohol. I tried a sip of Wray and Nephew Overproof for comparison, and it tasted like just the rubbing alcohol.

I then made a Mai Tai and floated a half-ounce of LH 151 on top. Hands down the winner.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2011-04-17 14:59 ]

G

I'm with kahuna kevin. I have, I like it and I'll do it again. Not it's best use, though.

gabbahey

Goslings 151 tastes fine too. Although be careful not to make a 151 Dark and Stormy by mistake. Wondered why my head hurt the next day.

J

In order to get through the Smuggler's Cove rum list, one must sip a full 2 ounces of LH151. So anyone wanting his/her name on the wall needs to (wo)man up and do it. Frankly, it's not that bad. As far as overproof rums go, it's the smoothest and most flavorful I've tasted. Yes, it's more tolerable mixed, but if you're looking for a quick buzz, there are worse ways to get one.

Next time pour some LH151 on the rocks and let it sit for a few minutes. It's surprisingly palatable and delicious that way.

T

I've tried Bacardi 151 a couple times. It's like siphoning gasoline, but not as pleasant.

W

As my friend Sparky learned me: If you're at a bar and you're lookin to get a buzz on a shot of 151 can be the best bang for your buck. If it's sipped it's fine. (I wouldn't recommend even sipping it to the amateur drinker.)

I didn't sip my last shot of 151 because I was using it as an improvised antiseptic mouth wash.

see- that incident WAS lucky-- it got you a free shot of 151! (what kind was it?)

T

I've tasted Bacardi 151. It had rum flavor in there, though was mostly fire. A friend has insisted that I'm wrong, that it has NO flavor, but I can taste it.

Might be blasphemy here, but... Stroh 80. Stroh is Austrian rum. It's sort of its own style of rum, with added flavorings, and it smells like a Butter Rum Life Saver. It has flavor with the fire. There are four varying strengths, denoted by number, and Stroh 80 is the highest at 160 proof. I was making a variant on a Spanish Coffee at a fantasy con room party this last week-end, and Spanish Coffee requires a sugar-rimmed glass, ignited with 151 to caramelize the sugar; I asked a bartender I know what to use besides basic 151 and he suggested Stroh, and then poured me a sample. It was killer potent, yet tasty. I bought Stroh instead because I thought it'd add more flavor to the drink, and it did - after burning for 15-20 seconds, some of the bite came off.

I just got a bottle after waiting for ages,Its very strong and best sipped very slowly,Im just about to try some now in fact!Last time i tried it at Kon Hemsbys bar my head hurt the next day

Pages: 1 25 replies