Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Senior Amor, Cyrano live at Purple Orchid for Martin Denny's Birthday Tuesday, April 19

Pages: 1 17 replies

DJs Senior Amor and Cyrano are hosting a live broadcast of their show on KXLU from the Purple Orchid Tiki Lounge on Tuesday, April 19, starting at 8 pm.

In celebration of Martin Denny's 100th birthday, they will be spinning Martin Denny classics as well as other exotica favorites.

The French Zombie, Funky Monkey and Ginger Bimbo will be available to fulfill your exotic cocktail needs as will all your favorite adult libations.

Drinking is not required, but highly recommended!

Purple Orchid Tiki Lounge
221 Richmond Street
El Segundo

O
Otto posted on Sat, Apr 16, 2011 12:21 AM

this is historic, I wish I still lived in LA (just for a month or so)

C

I'm heading over to the Purple Orchid tonight--anyone else attending?

Caltiki Brent

T

Sounds like fun!
Manuel and I will be there, but we can't stay out too late on account of my horrible schedule!

I'm in too.
On my way, in fact!

J

KXLU peeps, TC peeps, Surf music peeps.

I'd play connect the dots but it's late, I'm drunk, and I have to work tomorrow.

Anyway I'd thought I'd post these while the event is still fresh...

Happy Birthday Denny Martin !! (Did I say I was drunk? :))

TT

Thanks for the pics JOHN-O!

TS

Shoot...I missed this. I'm still a newbie and have been hoping for something REALLY close to home. I work in El Segundo and I missed this wonderful opportunity!
That said, how did it go? Was there a good showing of Tikiphiles from TC? Got pix?
I will have to pay much more attention. I spent the last two weeks in Colorado and when I get back I miss the closest-to-home thing happening. I am sorely dissappointteedddd.
Slob

Thanks for the heads-up on this one Tobunga and thanks for the photos John-O!
It was a great night out with a wonderful bunch of people and some excellent music.

The Molotov Cocktail Hour is a true gem in LA radio; it was nice to be able to get out and show some support for the superb work by Cyrano & Senor Amor.

Cheers everyone!

J

On 2011-04-20 09:29, Tiki Slob wrote:
That said, how did it go? Was there a good showing of Tikiphiles from TC? Got pix?...

We had 8 TCers which included 1 Ding Dong Devil, 1 Tikiyaki (actually THE Tikiyaki), and a Crazy Al. Plus 2 Insect Surfers. Pix above but everyone is mixed up with the KXLU crew.

Which is the way it should be. :)

A nice show of shirts, guys! Was too tired to trek down, but was there in spirit.

C

What a night! I know it must have been a good night, because this morning I realized I forgot to close my bar tab, and left my credit card at the PO (will take care of that, Dave and Rebecca)!

Great crowd, great turnout, and also--from my observation--a bit of a throwback to one of the most memorable events I ever attended: Exoticon in 1995 at the Park Plaza Hotel (Elks Lodge) in LA, with Senor Amor and Cyrano being joined by Strike from Luxuria, one of the organizers of Exoticon along with Otto, and the Millionaire from Combustible Edison was also in the house for a while. I definitely knew I was at an epicenter of exotica music when eavesdropping on an off-air conversation between Jim Bacchi and Cyrano about the intricate details of Gene Rains LPs.

Hopefully the Molotov crew can do more of these radio remotes. Even better would be a TV show, as there were some incredible visuals--including some impressive rug cutting by Crazy Al and KXLU's Yolanda which would have been worthy of the ballroom radio remotes in the days of the big bands!

Caltiki Brent

Wanted to go to this,
but I was so tired,
I didn't even stay awake to listen on the net.
thanks for pics and reviews.

is the show archived?

Jeff(btd)

C

On 2011-04-20 22:17, bigtikidude wrote:
Wanted to go to this,
but I was so tired,
I didn't even stay awake to listen on the net.
thanks for pics and reviews.

is the show archived?

Jeff(btd)

Unfortunately, due to some college or radio regulations they aren't allowed to podcast on KXLU, and I forgot to set my home internet recorder as well--hopefully someone did because it was a great show! I left about 11:15 and listened to their traditional hour grand finale of many different versions of Quiet Village, non -stop (disco and otherwise).

Caltiki

T

Here's a few more pix of Martin Denny's 100 birthday broadcast from Purple Orchid!

Our own Tikiyaki gets an impromptu interview!

Our lovely hosts!

T

Yes, this was a good night. Dave and Rebecca are always great hosts. A special occasion indeed, and I got to meet the Millionaire from Combustible Edison...pretty darn cool. Senior Amor and Cyrano were super cool, and yea, an impromptu interview with me, totally unexpected.

I hope they do this more at the Purple Orchid....live broadcast with exotica and tiki peeps...that would make a great monthly event.

I love the Purple Orchid.There should be more tiki gatherings there.

Oh, and Anthony Michael Hall was there. WHOO !

T

So that WAS Anthony Michael Hall! Cool!

And Hear! Hear! More tiki events at the Orchid!

C

On 2011-04-21 17:32, tikiyaki wrote:
Yes, this was a good night. Dave and Rebecca are always great hosts. A special occasion indeed, and I got to meet the Millionaire from Combustible Edison...pretty darn cool. Senior Amor and Cyrano were super cool, and yea, an impromptu interview with me, totally unexpected.

I hope they do this more at the Purple Orchid....live broadcast with exotica and tiki peeps...that would make a great monthly event.

I love the Purple Orchid.There should be more tiki gatherings there.

Oh, and Anthony Michael Hall was there. WHOO !

I have to admit I got kind of a thrill introducing the two of you when I found you hadn't met: "Mr. Tikiyaki, meet Mr. Combustible...Mr. Combustible...."

I had no idea Anthony Michael Hall was there. Where was he sitting? It's never really a celebrity event until Dave Arnson shows up, which he did at the end.

Caltiki Brent

Pages: 1 17 replies