Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Shag exhibit in Santa Monica

Pages: 1 39 replies

Is there a day or night that Tiki Central plans to be well represented at the Shag exhibit? Afterwards we can head over to Trader Vic's or Purple Orchid to discuss the paintings.

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:00 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:42 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, May 28, 2003 6:04 PM

not to change your subject braddah but is that an actuall Shag print or just like a postcard? I would really like to have that one. mahaloz for your time.

Tiki Baron wrote:
Is there a day or night that Tiki Central plans to be well represented....so that we can then head over to Trader Vic's or Purple Orchid?

Ummm...TikiBaron,
Is your question asking if any of us are going to the Shag Exhibition at the BGH Gallery in Santa Monica between May 31st and July 2nd(per Shag's website, although the BGH website says until July 6th), and then we can head over for some drinks to Trader Vic's and/or The Purple Orchid?

It's been a long day for me, so it took me a couple of reads to understand the post, so correct me if I'm wrong on the above assumption.

Gecko~the picture is a new Shag painting being displayed at the BGH Gallery.

Gecko -

Actually this new exhibit I believe is being called Shag A to Z. This Picture represents the letter T and the picture is called...none other than Tiki. I believe this is one of his newest paintings....I don't know if there will be a print of this one or not?

[ Edited by: Tiki Baron on 2003-05-28 18:34 ]

T

Wearing jeans or a dress or a suit, I'll definitely be there! It looks like a pretty cool opening and the T original is pretty sweet. Actually all of them are with the exception of a couple that I wouldn't want to own if someone paid me. Just kidding......I talked to the gallery last week and they weren't ready for the overwhelming response to the show or the originals. They sold out rather quickly, as would be anticipated, but the gallery still didn't know if they'd be having any "show" prints.
I hope they do. Someone might put a "bug" in Shag's ear on opening night and ask him if they'll make "T" into a print. I asked about the "Red Phone" at Tiki Farms tiki bash last year and viola it was turned into a print. It doesn't mean my suggestion counted for anything, but at least Shag had an idea what people were asking for.
I'll see everyone there at the opening. I would recommend getting there early. If it's anything like the Brea exhibit, it will be a madhouse!

On 2003-05-28 19:57, tikichic wrote:
I would recommend getting there early. If it's anything like the Brea exhibit, it will be a madhouse!

This is specifically why I didn't go on opening night. When I saw the Brea exhibition, I waited 2 wks for all the crowds to die down and went on a Wednesday afternoon. There was only 1 person other than me in the whole gallery that day - and he was an employee. It was great. I got to see the work at my own pace and really take in every detail.

Personally, I don't understand the need to go on opening night when the exhibit will be there for over a month. You don't get a very good opportunity to really look at the work because it gets too crowded. And after all, that's what an exhibit is about right?

Just my 2 cents...

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-28 20:04 ]

On 2003-05-28 20:03, PolynesianPop wrote:

This is specifically why I didn't go on opening night.

Opening nights suck, seems like it's just a bunch of hoity toity schmoozers and ner-do-wells more concerned with hob nobbing than with the art. I always try to miss the opening and show up when there is no one there and I can just walk around and actually take in all the art.

T

I agree that opening night will be crazy but it's kind of fun to go, shake hands with Shag, get your free "can of beer" and be off. At the Brea show, opening night was so crowded that I opted to go back a couple more times before the event ended so, like you Poly Pop, I could enjoy all the originals at my pace. It was nice and I'll probably do the same with this exhibit.
The only thing I don't like so far about this showing is that all the originals are 10" x 12". Kind of small for a Shag original, however when Shag needs to paint 26 originals for one show, I'm sure he doesn't have a lot of time to spend on each one. At least not as much time as a large one such as the Discerning Guests or something to that affect.
I'm still looking forward to the show. I hope the gallery can handle all of us. I still have nightmares about Copros exclusive prints from last year....That was the worst thing I've experienced yet!

B
Boob posted on Wed, May 28, 2003 10:16 PM

What does BGH stand for?

I understand Shag drinks "Coors Light". I gotta apologize for that one.

M

According to BGH Gallery, besides the 26 originals shown on Shag's website for the show, there will also be a few other larger size originals on display. The descriptions of those other paintings sounded very cool. Personally, I love every painting in this show. Besides being ultra cool Shag's work has such a great sense of humor. Can't wait to see them all in person.

I'll definitely be at the opening on Saturday. It may be a little hoity toity but I've been to a few of his other opening receptions and it's always been a good time. Hope to see many of you there...

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: modmana on 2003-05-29 15:36 ]

C

The gallery told me there were three commissioned works.

I'm going to try to make it out on Sunday, now that I hear about how crazy the opening night can turn out to be. I'll probably try to coordinate this with the mug release at Purple Orchard.

As it happens, I was lucky enough to purchase one of the originals during this show. I did have to let BGH know that I was interested way back in January.

T

I knew there were 3 commissioned originals but wasn't sure if they were part of the A-Z set or will be slightly different. It will be interesting to see.
Regardless, I can't wait to go on Saturday. Anybody dressing up in their fez hats or tiki attire? ha

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-13 00:23 ]

C

So what letter of Shag
were you able to snag?

One of the local freebie papers The Argonaut has a short article on the opening.

Slick Shag art blurs the line between pop culture fad and gallery fodder

Tikichic, would you explain the process of buying the painting to me? You say it was unusual. I want to be prepared to get one next possible chance.

T

My biggest piece of advice is be persistent! My motto's always been, "if it was meant to be then everything will fall into place".
All I can say is buy an original that you really like and one you'll be happy looking at every day. Good luck!

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-13 00:25 ]

C

Tikichic is so right. Check Shag's Shows page daily for updates and Shagmart's new page. As soon as you see a gallery name for an upcoming show, contact them via phone and email, find out if there's prints and/or originals. So far the galleries seem to consistently have a buyer's list for originals that's not hard to get on early and not everyone buys. I was 23rd for 18 originals and still got my first choice. So if you're not crazy about the choices for one show, don't just buy one to have one. It's possible to get one you really want.

I could go on about how much harder it is to get an artist proof print. Jeez. Each gallery has handled the sales differently and being first to email them or first in line can still get you zip. The prices were worth it when I got the chance to buy, but oh what it took to get there.

Yeah, I already inquired about the Ox-Op gallery in Minneapolis a few months back and they already told me that they are limiting it to people who show up to the actual gallery on opening night, after that, if there is anything left over, they will take waiting list names.

The La Luz de Jesus waiting list has been filling up for the last few months.

T

What a wonderful opening night it was! We got there early to ensure a parking spot and see the originals with no crowd. Every single one of the originals looks more stunning in person, especially the T painting. 2 of the commissioned paintings were hanging, and while they both were outstanding, my favorite was the "Bali Hai".

SHAG arrived early and was gracious enough to sign things that people had brought all the while drinking the "blue drink" concoction. (It was quite good "Kool Aid") Poor guy was stuck with a line to sign instead of walking around and talking to everyone, but I guess that's the "perks" of being an artist. Thanks SHAG!

I highly recommend viewing this exhibit, when you get a moment, even if it's only to view the T or the Bali Hai. The entire show is a winner and even a couple of stars own a few of the originals. You won't be disappointed!

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-01 11:17 ]

This was my favorite Shag show ever!
I love the diminutive size of the paintings! I hope Shag puts out an Alphabet book basedon these paintings...

T

We specifically asked if there would be a book on the event. He said that there wouldn't be a book because SHAG is so busy and is about 3 years ahead of schedule right now. That's why there was no show print at the exhibit. There was a typed listing of all the SHAG originals with their titles at the front by the postcards.

It was definitely a fabulous show!

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-13 00:27 ]

T

I thought the Shag fans on our board might like to see this Shag painting.

This painting is called "The Martin Denny Group at the Hanalei Hotel."

Shag so graciously accepted this commission about 4 years ago. I was very grateful that he wanted to do it.

As many know, Martin Denny's music was the cause for my entrance into the Tiki Scene about 8 years ago.

I became acquainted with Shag about 6 years ago while visiting LA. Later, I brought up to him my love of Denny's music and humbly inquired about commissioning a painting.

He said he had always wanted to paint the Denny Group and thought that the Hanalei Hotel sounded like an exotic venue. I was excited by his excitement over painting this picture.

And for me, this painting was a "defining" moment in my "tiki-life."

I agree with a previous poster that says just be persistent with the galleries if you would like to own one of Shag's originals.

I am not a "collector" as I only have this one painting and don't plan ever to sell it.

Shag has really added a lot to our tiki culture. In many ways, he has defined a major sector of our retro, Polynesian pop culture.

I continue to be fascinated by his art. I think we are lucky to have someone like this depicting Tiki culture the way he does.

TB

Tikibob,

That is a great painting! Congratuations on getting a commisioned painting from Shag. Was this on display at BGM Gallery this past weekend?

I read on a previous post that there were 3 comissioned paintings at the exhibit, but I only saw 2 of them, and inside of the office. So I'm wondering if you had the 3rd commisioned painting and already picked it up. I believe from another post Tikichick said that one of the paintings was named "Bali Hai". The second painting, (the one with several drunks with wine), I'd like to know the name. The person working there didn't know the name.

But thanks for sharing the painting with us!

[ Edited by: paranoid123 on 2003-06-02 19:36 ]

T

No Para,

Mine was done in late 99. Thanks for the nice comments

TB

T

Hey TB! Thanks for sharing your tiki original with us. What an outstanding piece and how nice to hear the background about the original and how it came about. That's the best part for me knowing the "history" and how Shag came up with his idea for each original. Thanks! You've got a real winner there.

Paranoid....when we arrived early at the show only the "Bali Hai" and the rest of the show originals were hanging. When Shag arrived he brought in the other original hanging in the office but not the 3rd. I was hoping to find out the name of that 2nd commission original too.....

Too cool a show! We're going back again this weekend to take pictures.

M

Hey there Bob,

The guy in the middle with red hair is supposed to be you, isn't it?

Too cool!

-martin

T

Yeah, that is supposed to be me.

As many can tell, I had a lot more hair then.

Maybe I can get Shag to paint some hair on my head the next time I see him.

Either that or I am going to knit me a rug from some of that "hair" stuff that is on the outside of a coconut.

TB

M

The Shag: A to Z show is really spectacular! You really need to see these paintings in person to truly appreciate them. I highly recommend visiting the gallery if possible. There are dozens of other galleries at that complex as well so you could easily make a day of it if you wanted to. The Shag exhibit ends July 6th.

I was lucky enough to be there when there weren't many people in the gallery and took photos of the show (with their permission). I know the show images are on Shag's website but I thought you might want to see how they looked in the gallery setting, matted and framed. Also, there are photos of the larger commissioned paintings that were part of the show. Very "cool", in my opinion!

Here's the link to my Shutterfly album:

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp?aid=67b0de21b36a4539a4d3

I'm not sure but I think you have to sign up with them before you can view the album. Let me know if you have any trouble viewing. Oh, and sorry about the glare on some of the photos. Cheers!

M

There was a 3rd commissioned painting scheduled to be in the show but was not finished for the opening reception. However, it may be there now. Supposedly it has a "Monkey" theme with of course lots of monkeys, monkeying around. Don't know the title to that one.

T

Thanks modmana for sharing the pictures! We had brought a camera to the opening to photograph Shag with our painting but he was so busy signing we didn't want to bother him. Your pictures look great!

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2003-06-13 00:28 ]

Score!

T

I hope this seller isn't any TC member, but are you kidding me? It's a POSTCARD for gosh sakes! No wonder the seller made it a private auction otherwise I would email the bidders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3526835235&category=360&rd=1

hhmmmm.....yeah, "Privates" on ebay items like this always makes me think of past auctions with 'shill' bids: fake (buddy) bids to drive up a price in order to make it look like the item being offered for sale is a hot item, thus making a pseudo-demand for the item. I would bet that the true high bids are from overseas (usually Japan).

M

That postcard auction can't possibly be real. Someone must be working some kind of scam there. Those postcards are still available at the gallery. If you called them and asked nicely, they'd probably send you one for free. I have a couple of those cards and if people truly want them that badly, I have no problem parting with mine...

whoever wins this auction is going to be pissed when they recieve a postcard

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

I have it on good authority that Shag is zazz!

And why is the shipping for a POSTCARD $4.00 PLUS and additional $1.30 for insurance? Sent first class this item would cost a mere .37!

The $4.00, you hope, would be because it costs $3.85 to ship Priority Mail and that's how he would mail it. However, I bought a Shag poker chip, the listing said it cost $4.00 for shipping, and all the seller did was stick it in an envelope and stuck a .37 stamp on it. Nice little profit for the seller on S&H! The motto here: ask questions before buying! :wink:

Pages: 1 39 replies