Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Maikai Gents Free Show and Worldwide Webcast June 4

Pages: 1 36 replies

Aloha, Friends!

Please join us Wednesday June 4 as we beam our show live to all the world! You have two ways to see us:

1. Come out and be part of our fabulous live audience. The show is FREE, starts at 9:00PM and will be at
    Kulak's Woodshed
    5230-1/2 Laurel Canyon Blvd.
    North Hollywood, CA 91607
    818-766-9913
    There will be live music before us, so arrive early. We'll begin performing at 9:00 Pacific Standard Time. The club interior will feature tikis by Dawna (Tikifille)! There will be some camera shots of the audience, so be sure to dress in your finest aloha attire.

2. Relax in the comfort of your home tiki lounge, log on to the worldwide web and enjoy our show live on your very own home computer. Here's how: Go to http://www.kulakswoodshed.com and click on the upper left-hand corner where it says "click for FREE 24/7 video webcast." That's it! So if you're in Italy beach-bumming around, or England studying architecture, or Rochester doing your thing, or even Oahu carving tikis, you can still swoon to our old-time Hawaiian crooning. Pass this info along to all your pals around the globe who will enjoy the blissful sounds of Hawaii's golden yesteryears.

Of course, if you're in the area we would love for you to come out and join us in person. We'll have souvenirs, sing-alongs, audience participation tippling and all sorts of fun. Plus, we like to see your smiling faces!

-The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

p.s. If you'd like to hear the report on tiki culture that featured our music and aired on public radio a few weeks ago here are the links (Thanks again to reporter Alex Cohen for including us in her report):

Here's the link to the story as it aired on The California Report, scroll down to May 9 and click on "Tiki Culture Makes a Comeback". This featured less of our music and more of Iuka Grogg.
http://www.kqed.org/programs/program-archive.jsp?progID=RD8&ResultStart=1&ResultCount=10&type=radio

Here's the link to the story as it aired on All Things Considered. This featured more music and less Grogg.
http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1259540

http://www.mkgents.com

FREE?! That's all you had to say!

SEE YOU THERE!

you ain't said nuthin' but a word!!!

that means I'll be there

I hope I can be there. If I do make it or not, Poly Pop uumm.. this falls under the huge favor category...I live 4.87 minutes from the event (per mapquest) either way I will need help bringing home my tikis. If I'm there I just need muscle. If I'm not there I need a delivery. PM me if you're game. Per the hostess, they won't be too big because she and I have to get them there. Thanks, Dawna

IG

Aloha, All!

If you happen to watch our show via your computer, drop us an e-mail and let us know how it went (technically). [email protected] Did the audio and video come through? Was it jerky or smooth? Were you able to e-mail requests? Etc, etc, etc... This is our first webcast and although we're not handling any of the technical side, we'd like to know how it went for you, the home viewer. If you come in person to see us, you can give us feedback on body/breath odor(should smell naturally of coconuts), beverage quality, shoes tied properly, etc, etc, etc... Mahalo and see you soon!

Iuka Grogg

On 2003-06-03 14:49, Iuka Grogg wrote:

If you come in person to see us, you can give us feedback on body/breath odor(should smell naturally of coconuts)

I'll try to be there to let you know that you stink!

C

I am planing on tunin' into the ether to catch the show. Kulak's seems like it has a pretty cool audio/video set-up workin'. I hope it goes smoothly on all sides. Be sure to tell the cameraman to fill the lens with plenty of tikifille's carvings from time to time. All you folks in the audience be sure to smile when the camera is aiming at you. No monkey business though!
Big bro may really be watchin!
Chongolio

I'm goin to have to start packing clothes in my trunk - just found out about this and no time to run home and change after work - gonna be in the area over at El Coyote so I'll try and talk my friend into swinging by - you cant miss me - I'll be the one in all black....

IG

Fair warning:
I've just found out that Kulak's is an unlicensed establishment. This means that it's a tea and coffe kind of joint. Of course, I would never recommend airplane bottles or flasks or the like, especially to this group of moderates. Chikitiki take heed: Perhaps a good opportunity to bring along some of your fab flasks to sell. You may get some deperates if you pre-fill 'em. I write this not to discourage anyone from coming to the show, only to encourage your creativity... wink wink.

I'm watching the live broadcast right now, which is starting with someone singing karaoke music (not exotica/tropical/hawaiian). It sounds like she has a good voice, but the audio is way over-saturated through the internet! Looks like fun so far.....

I can't wait to see the MK Gents in another 45 minutes!

Oh, and there's maybe (guessing) about a dozen people there. The video is good since it's not a still camera, but a very smooth roving camera. I can see Iuka Grog relaxing and I can hear Tikifille's(?) laugh. The tikis she has there are awesome! Damn, the woman can carve!

I'm sure more people will arrive just before 9 pm.

VoyeurCaddyDaddy

SugarCaddyDaddy's Schedule of Stuff!

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-06-04 21:17 ]

Hey, I'm watching it too, she has a great singing voice, very nice. I don't know if it's my speakers but the sound is a little fuzzy. The video is clear.
Now I'm having transmission problems, looks like a tiki fell on her.
My bad. I clicked on the slower modem speed and the transmission is much betta'.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:22 ]

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:24 ]

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-06-04 21:32 ]

For those watching on Windows Media Player:

Go to the top of the Windows Media Toolbar,
Click on "View"
Then "Enhancements",
Then "Graphic Equalizer",

Roll off (lower) the bottom end (31hz) and increase the top end (16khz) and the sound won't be as distorted. Play around with the EQ and you can actually pick up everyones conversations!

Hope this helps

K

I'm watching at 300K, actually like 500k, and it's crystal clear video, but I can't get the audio just right, there's that buzz, metallic quality...
They should investigate Realplayer streaming, as I've noticed all streaming on WindowsMedia sounds tinny.

What a remarkable place... has that real post-apocalyptic look about it! Cool!

http://pyracy.com

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-06-04 21:54 ]

K

Iuka read my email on the show seconds after I wrote it! too cool! (I'm Ford, btw)

http://pyracy.com

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-06-04 22:09 ]

that was cool!!!!!

M

It looked great! And it sounded great, too. (wish I'd read SCDs advice about the equalizer though). Great performance Iuka

My email was on the screen for a sec but did not get read! bastards!

good show, gents.

-martin

Mine either. But mine was a wise crack. Good show Jud and buds.

DZ

Great show as always! Got the sound EQ'd right (thanks, SCD), and it was quite a treat to watch from home! But where were Dawna's carvings? Due to my crappy computer acting up again, I got stuck on the 128k feed which was a bit on the blurry side. Were they there and I just couldn't see 'em?

Here are some screen-shots for those of you who didn't tune in.

Pop gives a shout out

Lets all have a drink!

Tikis!

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-06-05 01:09 ]

Hey Iuka - Looks like many took your advice and watched the extravaganza from their barcaloungers. Did some of us show up in person?

H

If it weren't for the image of the computer screen, it would look straight out of a 70s variety show. I wish I could've seen the broadcast, I haven't installed any video players on my linux box here at home yet. Tikifille, your carvings look really great!

Bless all of your tiki loving souls!!! I spent the entire broadcast downloading (yes dial up) the media player blah blah blah. Double whine!!!! J. Velour,not only does your gal mix a fine drink, and you make a fine boca burger, BUT YOU POST THE PICS I WANT TO SEE. If a ticket to Poly paradise can be bought, I am buying yours. Thanx!!Dawna

That tiki with the flamin' head is....well...HOT! Yeah, pun intended!

DZ

Yeah... just as i figured. My stupid computer prevented me from seeing the tikis clearly. Thanx for the captures, JV - Dawna, the tikis are awesome!

C

That was cool. Kulack's Woodshed rules!
That worked pretty good on my G4 mac with a DSL connection using media player. I thought the sound was decent for the internet but it was a little hot. I even got my e-mail read, plus awesome tikis too! A fun way to spend Wed night. Thanks!
Chongolio

Aloha Mai Kai Gents - You guys were fabulous! What a great show - my kids were dancing when you sang "Hukilau." I was watching the webcast simultaneously with the ChikiTiki's on the phone -- made us feel like we were there! Thanks for reading my email and thanks JV for posting the pics.

The picture of The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa giving Iuka Grog "another drink" is PERFECT!

Since no one has mentioned it (yet), I'll come out and ask ~ Did anyone catch the announcement that Iuka Grog and Miss Mauna Loa are GETTING MARRIED IN A FEW WEEKS!?...or am I just the last one to know about this?

Congratulations you two crazy kids! That picture is a MUST SAVE for your grandkids to see!

Is that Suicide Sam I see in one of those pics?

Yeah, Congratutlations Iuka and...... Mysterious Mrs Mauna Grogg?

Chongolio

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-06-05 10:29 ]

Yeah, suicide sam was there and so was I! It was pretty fun. The whole thing was filmed with one guy and a jib cam.

IG

Aloha and WOW! What a night! That was the most fun I've had with my ukulele in some time. Kulak's was a great venue with the friendliest and most enthusiastic folks in a really comfy atmoshpere. Their setup was amazing: Three stationary cameras and one operated by crane, instant e-mail, good sound equipment and gear, etc. Just playing there was a great experience, but it went beyond just a show thanks to you all. Having your e-mails come in made it all the more exciting and extemporaneous. A big yellow spinning light would start up everytime there was an e-mail alert and I thought I read all the notes that came in, sorry if yours was missed (especially if they were wisecracks). Thanks to Suicide Sam for keeping the rowdies on the bed and in the back in line. Also good to meet Hanalei Pirate! Hopefully, Kulak's will archive the show on their website, if not I've been promised a DVD at some point. So, the BIG question was posed via an anonymous e-mail last night: If there was an all-out fistfight between Mike Tyson and King Kukulele, who would win? Any thoughts?

MAHALO!

Iuka Grogg on behalf of The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

[ Edited by: iuka grogg on 2003-06-05 14:59 ]

F

and pray tell, how did this question come up?

IG

Aloha, Floratina! That Kukulele/Tyson question came via an e-mail all the way from Arizona. I'd put my clam shells on King K. Sure, he may not look like much of a scrapper, but man is he CRAAAZZY, and that's gotta count for something.

-I. Grogg

F

[ Edited by: floratina on 2003-06-06 17:53 ]

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 4:18 PM

Eh braraddah J,

I didn't get to see your sho because my computer SUCKS!! the pics look lovely!! I'm glad you had a good time bro because dats wat itz all about! did you record da sho?

shoots

Iuka Grogg!

Any word on a copy of the DVD yet? I'd love to have a copy myself. The MaiKai Gents aren't in the Performance Video Archives (yet).

Aloha! Gecko, yes the show was recorded. SugarCaddyDaddy, we haven't received our DVD yet. The owner of the Woodshed has been out of town and it seems as though he's the man to get it to us. We'll certainly let you know as soon as we get a copy. I can't wait to see it myself. The photos Johnnie Velour posted are great, but look as though they came from 1978's The Maikai Gents Happy Family Aloha Hour Television Special Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa. I guess the DVD will, too. Did your daughter see our rendition of her request? That was awfully nice of her to e-mail us! Mahalo to you all for your continued interest in TMG Featuring TMMML.

-I. Grogg

Pages: 1 36 replies