Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Anyone a member of Playboy.com?

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

Speaking as a lurker from tikiless Cincinnati, Ohio, I love seeing photos of everyone's lastest acquisitions, carvings, tiki bar modifications, etc. In a town full of Parrotheads, I need to be exposed to quality tiki influences or I will eventually succumb to their wiles. So keep those photos coming!

Dude! Have a bitchen Summer!

S

Go check out the "Besides tiki..." threads and you'll see that most of us have tiki as a small part of our lives. It's completely wrong to think otherwise.

This board is very active, but, it takes about 5 minutes of my day to keep up with it.

Just check out the few tiki "freaks" I know. Like the aforementioned Basement Kahuna. He is an antiques dealer and that is a time demanding job. Outside his lavish basement bar, his home is full of other high grade collections which have nothing to do with tiki. Our house is the same. It's about 90% vintage and growing, but tiki is a place in the basement and a record shelf in the studio.

I don't know. I think you have a very wrong image of this community.

For me, it's not about your dissing James, but the general idea of what he and a lot of others do. It used to happen a lot in the magickal community I was a part of. One person writes a book and gets dumped on for making money off this think we are all into. But the fact is, no one really makes money. Okay, there are the professionals like Ben, and Holden. But really, hour for hour, few are breaking even on the things they are doing.

For James in particular, he may have said "Please buy my book" here and there and elsewhere, but I have not seen him say "I just wrote the greatest freakin' book ever" anywhere. No Ego in that.

As for this notion we are some group of lead by the nose ninnies who rush to club outsides, far from it. You could have insulted musch less high profile people than James and we would have gotten bent too. That makes us reasonable humans, not blind followers. Sheesh. Talk about an elitest attitude!

The only people who are likely to make the big bucks out of Tiki just see it as a passing phase.

If someone spends years traversing the US in search of the perfect Tiki bar, I think he's earned the odd plug to a group of people who'd love to have been in his shoes. Perhaps James' habit of using his sig to advertise the book gets your goat, but it's not that difficult to ignore.

Can we get back to being geek boys ogling at bunny girls?

Trader Woody

T

All right, all right! Enough is enough!

I would just like to say one last thing in order to bring some civility to this thread!

Ahilava - A pox on both your houses!

T

Is it considered wrong to show others members what we have or have done for nothing more than the satisfaction of showing others our good fortune or talent? Yes! OK here you go! BK sorry won't be making it to Hukilau.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4121&forum=5

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-06-06 19:25 ]

B
Boob posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2003 9:56 PM

Did any of you go further into the Playboy site and do the Boob Test? I got 11 out of 12!

Pages: 1 2 54 replies